Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Bleed Air from Coolant Line on 2009 -2011 Xterra's - PBR

75K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  AlbatrossCafe 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is how Nissan does a Coolant Bleeds. My friend who is a Mechanic for Nissan showed me how they bleed the Coolant System on the Xterra when the sucking noise can be heard from behind the Dash. This noise is caused by air in the Coolant Lines thats passing through the Heater Core.

Time: About 20-45 Minutes, (depending one how much air is in the line).

Materials/Tools:

No-spill Funnel, (the one pictured is borrowed from my friend).
Clamp for Hose
Coolant;

And the Bleeding Begins:

Park Xterra on a Decline where front end is higher than rear.

STEP 1: Place Clamp on Hose;

STEP 2: Release Pressure from Coolant Tank;

STEP 3: Remove Radiator Cap, set-up No-spill Funnel;

STEP 4: Pour about 3+ Cups of Coolant into the Funnel, ( I don't have that much in the Funnel, but that's not the point :) ).

Turn the heat on full blast and let the Truck get up to Operating Temps and then squeeze the Large Hose going into the Radiator every 30 Seconds or so and watch the little bobbles of air come out. You can also rev the Motor up to 2000rpms for about 15-20 Seconds. Just be careful not to over fill the Funnel with Coolant.

Once you have done this turn the Motor off and you have Coolant still in the Funnel. Let the Truck cool down and all of the Coolant in the Funnel should retreat back into the Radiator. Once the Funnel is empty, take off No-spill Funnel, replace Radiator Cap, make sure Coolant Tank Cap is on tight and release Clamp.

Check in the Morning to see if you hear any sucking noise coming from the Heater Core. If there is noise, Repeat process until noise is gone.

Hope this Helps!

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have a clue. I'll ask my friend when I see him next time.

Off topic, doesn't my Blacktastic look good? :)

#4 ·
I'm not sure if this same method can be used on the 05-08 Xterra's. I know for a fact the new models don't have the T-fitting used by other people here to do the bleed.

#5 ·
Updated instructions about having the heat turned on. Also, the funnel can be found at a carparts store like Carquest I'm told.

#22 ·
If anyone is in the Fulton MO area, I have a vacuum filler that makes this job a snap. Turn heat switches on, pull a vacuum on coolant system, put hose in bucket full of coolant.....flip valve and watch it suck it up.

Done.

No fuss, no muss....no air.

Hit me up of you need help with a rad change.

#24 ·
All (6) Photos placed into PB's Purgatory, have been Resurrected for this Thread! :thumbup:

Reactions: RikRong
#37 ·
at 6:32 in the video below, discusses the hose that is clamped. Given his explanation, seems like you can just wind up trapping air in your system by clamping it..

gonna try and burp without it clamped. heater on full, and recirc. will check back with results
Just did this today. I'm using the no spill funnel. I started with it clamped. I was burping air for like 15 minutes, then I unclamped it and after the next couple minutes I was done. Now, is this coincidence because I had already been burping air for so long, or because I unclamped it? Who knows. Lol. All I know is I have hot air again and that's all I care about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.