Driveshaft Mods Parts List - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Driveshaft Mods Parts List

Quick question for anyone that might be able to help.

Having my 2006 T-Swapped currently and we are using a 2005 Titan rear differential. What parts for a driveshaft do I need to modify my driveshaft to? I'm open to either JE Reel or Tom Woods. I recall seeing something online of a parts list you could get and take to a local driveline shop.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:43 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Save yourself LOTS of money and trouble and ditch the rear titan diff idea and just get wheel spacers. I remembered someone chiming in on how much work it was and how it still wasn't braking right. Search "thenewx.org Titan rear diff" and all the threads will pop up.
bigskypylot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Save yourself LOTS of money and trouble and ditch the rear titan diff idea and just get wheel spacers. I remembered someone chiming in on how much work it was and how it still wasn't braking right. Search "thenewx.org Titan rear diff" and all the threads will pop up.
Too late lol. Plus I sold my M226. I've thought this through and am fully committed. Believe me, I've talked to my share of folks about this lol

The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
We have the brake issue tackled.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
If I had to do it all over again, I’d also use the Titan axle.

I went with a Tom Woods double cardan driveshaft and am very happy with it. That’s what I would do.

Another option - you would have to confirm, but I believe Titan rear axles use a 1350 yoke at the t case and a 1350 bolt on yoke to the companion flange on the diff. If that’s the case, you could buy a Titan slip yoke for the transfer case and have a “regular” driveshaft made with one 1350 at each end.

Also, talk to tom Woods before you regear (assuming you are). It is probably better to keep the Titan companion flange (again, I believe it’s a 4 bolt flange for a bolt on 1350 yoke) and skip the aluminum adapter they have to use for our 6 bolt flanges.

Make sure you confirm the part about the bolt on 1350 yoke for the Titan ds as I’m not 100% sure about that part.
bigskypylot likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
If I had to do it all over again, I’d also use the Titan axle.

I went with a Tom Woods double cardan driveshaft and am very happy with it. That’s what I would do.

Another option - you would have to confirm, but I believe Titan rear axles use a 1350 yoke at the t case and a 1350 bolt on yoke to the companion flange on the diff. If that’s the case, you could buy a Titan slip yoke for the transfer case and have a “regular” driveshaft made with one 1350 at each end.

Also, talk to tom Woods before you regear (assuming you are). It is probably better to keep the Titan companion flange (again, I believe it’s a 4 bolt flange for a bolt on 1350 yoke) and skip the aluminum adapter they have to use for our 6 bolt flanges.

Make sure you confirm the part about the bolt on 1350 yoke for the Titan ds as I’m not 100% sure about that part.
I actually spoke to Shawn yesterday at Woods. We discussed what we are going to do. They can build me a complete shaft with the 1350 at each end. I am also using a 2015 Titan Transmission and Transfer Case. All I have to do is send them my slip yoke for a core charge.

I will be re-reading at some point in the next year to 4.10/11s. I'll have adequate power to push the 35s but definitely want to re-gear asap.
I really wish I had an 08+ rear diff as I would be able to get the Nitro Chromoly axles. The 05 rear diff supposedly has a different spline count? I have an Evo truss that will be going on the rear diff that was modified from its original form to fit a Jeep D44 I believe. Just needs to be welded up then we will use Steel-It to paint it.

Here are the chromoly axles I was referring to

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Nissan-M2...d2006070-2.htm

https://www.nitro-gear.com/Nissan-M2...d2006070-1.htm

Last edited by bigskypylot; 07-12-2019 at 08:43 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
All the m226 axles are 32 spline, and always were. There must be some other difference.

I know that's when they went from 2 spider gears to 4 also, but I wouldn't think that would impact the axle shafts unless the length is very slightly different.

Rockauto sells some USA standard axle shafts that are stronger than stock also (1541H). Skimming the description on those nitro's, I can't tell if they are also 1541H or 4340.
bigskypylot likes this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:
All the m226 axles are 32 spline, and always were. There must be some other difference.

I know that's when they went from 2 spider gears to 4 also, but I wouldn't think that would impact the axle shafts unless the length is very slightly different.

Rockauto sells some USA standard axle shafts that are stronger than stock also (1541H). Skimming the description on those nitro's, I can't tell if they are also 1541H or 4340.
I'm going to give Nitro a call and ask. Got a few other folks I'm going to talk to. Thanks for the headsup on the axles. Maybe I'll just go that route.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran - AKA sheller73
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:

Just peeked at RockAuto and they're not showing anything for the rear diff with e-locker. I have a 2012 e-locker that will be going in when we put new gears in.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 11:11 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypylot View Post
Just peeked at RockAuto and they're not showing anything for the rear diff with e-locker. I have a 2012 e-locker that will be going in when we put new gears in.

Search other years, Rockauto can be funny like that.
bigskypylot likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode