Notorious Fan Clutch (((Sound))), another (((Squeak))) and maybe a Broken Ground Wire - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
2012 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Notorious Fan Clutch (((Sound))), another (((Squeak))) and maybe a Broken Ground Wire

I have had the cold start up fan clutch noise for quite sometime now. I went ahead this past weekend and replaced the fan clutch and the water pump. However, it did not fix the issue. I have seen numerous posts about this issue and the clutch being the resolve but this wasn't the case. I also was too late in finding that it should be a Nissan part and not aftermarket of any kind after ordering the fan clutch from rock auto. It was too late to return so instead of wasting the money, I decided to try it out. The water pump was OEM though. So I am not sure what is causing this issue. Only does it on start up with a cold engine (doesn't matter of outside temp). Will make that sound pretty much on any accelerating until temp gauge reaches normal operating temp. I'm not really sure of the cause of this but I can say for sure it wasn't always like it (as you are probably aware).

I've also got a squeak going on, during accelerating only, that I noticed BEFORE replacing the fan clutch and water pump that I still now have. Not sure if it is related or not. A new belt went on during the work this past weekend and I didn't notice and issues/squeaks while the belt was off and I was spinning all the wheels I could.

One other thing I noticed was that I have a broken ground wire that I can't figure out where it goes. I can say for sure that I did not do it this past weekend since I noticed it right away while starting to dismantle the air filter housing. I have two pictures showing where it is so hopefully someone can check their X and see where it leads. I don't know when this happened and doubt it has to do with any of the issues I mentioned already but obviously, I'd like to figure it out before poop hits the fan (maybe literally??).

So if anyone has an advice on the loud jet engine on start up noise, the squeak noise on accelerating and can tell me where that ground wire leads, I would really appreciate anything I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2067.jpg (94.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2066.jpg (82.1 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Are you certain the fan noise is not the electric fan? If you turn off all accessories - no fan, no heat, no fan motor, does it persist?

If you have the ability to post a Youtube video of the noises, you might have a better chance of someone here identifying it.

The ground wire your pointing at runs to under the air filter box. I have always wondered where it goes from there as I can see no exit for it. If you pull the air filter box off you might find the other end, and can solder it back together.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am not certain it is not that electric fan. Judging from past posts and due to the size of the fan in relation to the noise, I went with the fan clutch. Has that electric fan been known to cause issues?

I'll check that wire too, thanks for that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So as soon as it starts up, both fans come on right away... makes the loud rev-like sound... then the smaller, electric fan stops running as the bigger fan continues to run. No HVAC is on either.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd9 View Post
So as soon as it starts up, both fans come on right away... makes the loud rev-like sound... then the smaller, electric fan stops running as the bigger fan continues to run. No HVAC is on either.
In that case, probably still your clutch fan. Happens all the time. Aftermarket on that part are known to fail quickly. At least that is what I would change. Look on the bright side -you know exactly how to do it now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha very true. I feel like it's not the issue though considering it has only been actually ran for about less than 24 hours.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode