4wd Conversion - Complete Drive Train on Hand - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

4wd Conversion - Complete Drive Train on Hand

I have a complete drivetrain for a 2005 R51 Pathfinder 4wd to pull and use parts from. I've got a shop that does custom work who's selling an xterra and is willing to go half and half on a 4wd conversion. What do you guys think and what extra parts should we be looking at?

Have access to:
Complete front drive train
Transfer case
4wd Transmission
Associated electronics for a
VQ40DE Block

Front Rancho quick lifts and upgraded bump stops for front control arms

Not sure about diff ratios and looking into center driveshafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Freaking why?

Get a 4x4 Xterra they aren't that rare or expensive compared to 2WD's.

I love a good DIY long shot conversion as much as the next guy, but this is reinventing the wheel. Now make a 350Z 4x4 or something, that would be unique. Making a 2WD Xterra 4x4, it's not like those aren't sitting on used car lots and not hacked together.
AlbatrossCafe and PebblePimp like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

So, I've been looking for a clean, reliable 4x4 in my area for 3 months. I'm not exaggerating when I say there are none under 10k and none that I want under 16k. Used 2001 jeep grand Cherokee with 190k miles? 5k runs like crap. This xterra is clean, well maintained and only 5k plus in house financing, so next to nothing out of pocket and cheap payments. This shop usually does custom work for higher end race cars or collectibles. They have an old Rolls Royce, Porsche, couple of new Jags, Rousche Mustang modded for 10 sec 1/4 mile, etc. This was the owner's fiance's car that he's selling.

He is also curious to see if they can do it so wants to go half in on it to get it done.

Long story short, it's cheaper for me to go this route and have a lifted 4x4 overlandish rig that doesn't need a rebuild than it is to go almost any other route. Believe me, I know. So, just seeing how much of a pain in the ass it is.

(I should mention that the only other financing for 10k cars put me a 430 a month payments, which is not an option for long term as my work is contractual and will be slowing down into the winter. Personal choice to keep it low, but that's what it is)

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Noobie

Also, I live in a hurricane hit zone and after hurricane Michael, prices for good used cars went way up and nobody wants to get rid of their 4x4
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:26 AM
pso
2006 Xterra X

You may want to widen your net, geographically. It cost my friend around $800 to ship his restored BMW from California to Houston, Texas. I'm pretty sure he used an enclosed trailer.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Sounds interesting, but not really worth the time/headache. I'd just wait until work slows down and make a trip out of buying a used X out of state. Maybe take a bus or train over a flight to save on travel costs. There are a lot of good people on this forum across many states, and I'd bet you could find someone to go look at an X local to them and report back to you on whether it's a good deal.

In the end you could have a factory 4x4 Xterra for around the same price or lower than a 4x4 conversion done by a shop who's never done it before (while using used parts from at least a few different vehicles).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
outback97 and BlackbirdSR71 like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimulatedZero View Post
This shop usually does custom work for higher end race cars or collectibles.
So how much do you trust them not to get bored with this diversion if it doesn't go well? They do high end stuff, making a Frankenstein Xterra is going to be fun for them how long exactly?

Are they going to be ready to jump in and fix it if this cobbled together mess doesn't wear as intended and you start burning through bearings and chewing up gears? You think they are going to bring their best work for this project? Are they going to say "Aww sure man, we will get you in before we do the Rolls there....."

Hey, it could go smooth as silk and last forever. I'm not saying it wont. Do you gamble much?

Cheap now = Expensive later

It sounds to me like a setup to get yourself screwed. The shop could be above all reproach but still when you leave with it, it's all on you. You'll be stuck with this oddball Xterra no other shop will touch, and since you are having a shop do it I presume that means you are not equipped to handle such a task yourself. Also, are you going to be right in there with them personally versed in what all they did to make such a conversion work so you can fix it later presuming you are a mechanic, self taught or otherwise?

It sounds like you can't afford an Xterra or don't want to travel for one. I don't say this to be mean but having a shop hack one together for cheap means you still can't afford it. Drive some reliable but beater vehicle and save your money, buy what you want later and get something that won't milk you dry.

Frakentruck is fun if you got a shop to piddle in and time to goof off with it and something else to drive when it craps out, if you are concerned with reliability, you don't want Frakentruck!
pso, outback97, Brunnie and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Airmapper; 06-25-2019 at 10:14 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

I wasn't sure how much of a franken truck it would since the frontiers, xterras, pathfinders all share the same front drive train, transfer cases, transmissions, engines, etc.. That's why I was curious. Seemed like an easy OEM swap.

I've known the owner for a long time and I'd be in their working with them. I've done axle swaps, trusses, transfer case swaps, etc... on jeeps. Worked on plenty of Nissans. Biggest thing was curiosity. If I can get a nice xterra, lifted on 33s, with a winch and bumperfor 5k out of pocket, why not.

Other option is just financing a new truck. I'd prefer the cheaper option, but hey. So you guys think using OEM parts from a car with the same drive train won't hold up? It's the same transfer case, differential, front shafts, etc...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimulatedZero View Post
I wasn't sure how much of a franken truck it would since the frontiers, xterras, pathfinders all share the same front drive train, transfer cases, transmissions, engines, etc.. That's why I was curious. Seemed like an easy OEM swap.

I've known the owner for a long time and I'd be in their working with them. I've done axle swaps, trusses, transfer case swaps, etc... on jeeps. Worked on plenty of Nissans. Biggest thing was curiosity. If I can get a nice xterra, lifted on 33s, with a winch and bumperfor 5k out of pocket, why not.

Other option is just financing a new truck. I'd prefer the cheaper option, but hey. So you guys think using OEM parts from a car with the same drive train won't hold up? It's the same transfer case, differential, front shafts, etc...
It's not about holding up, things will bolt in fine. I think the biggest issue you'll run into with a Nissan is the electronics of the swap. Bolting in is one thing, getting everything to talk like it should is a different
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

That's what I was worried about. You think with the 4wd wiring harness everything with cooperate, or do you think the ECU is going to give issues?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode