Flashing SES, P0603, and Running Incredibly Rough - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra New Hotness (Pro 4X)

Flashing SES, P0603, and Running Incredibly Rough

So, got a different one. Drove through puddle while out this afternoon, nothing even that deep. Hell it was less aggressive than this moths TOTM shot. Well, shortly after felt like a rear tire was unbalanced, then it all went to sh!t. SES light started flashing, motor running incredible rough. Checked it with my reader and was throwing P0603 Keep Alive Memory, aka an ECU code.

Got it to a parking lot, let it sit for a couple hours, went back after dinner and grocery shopping and it started up but was still running rough, definite smell of unburnt fuel and almost sounded as one of the cylinders wasn’t firing. No flashing SES light though. Tried to move it around the lot, at full throttle it shuddered and barely moved.

Tried the IPDM/ECU test and it tested fine.

Any ideas?

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 AM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

something got wet... hows the charging system now? low voltage? Maybe try swapping the ecu relay?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

I really don’t want to accept the fact that splashing through a damn puddle will have disabled my truck, especially when I’ve done much worse prior to this.

But at the same time **** happens and hitting water at more than 10mph can force it in places it shouldn’t be. Going to go back in the am and see if it’s dried out and I can get it going.

As far as the charging system, all seems to be well. Only thing I wonder, is the recent dual battery install playing a role

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ripper; 06-17-2019 at 03:02 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Googles around on this code do return issues after recent wiring jobs, foglights, etc. Maybe something is shorting or making your ecu think its under/over charging. I had an issue with my altenator recently, although it didnt throw that code, it definitely caused it to run really bad at certain times. When i was looking at that problem I came across a post in another forum about swapping the ecu relay clearing up this code and running poorly.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Well, a failing ECM, smoked all the coil packs. Six new coils, new ECM. The puddle was completely coincidental, had nothing to do with it.
TerryD likes this.

Click Here for >

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Well, a failing ECM, smoked all the coil packs. Six new coils, new ECM. The puddle was completely coincidental, had nothing to do with it.
That really sucks man!

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

This repair bill is going to suck! Im betting $2500+

Click Here for >

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 PM

How did you determine that was the issue? Dang if I had to swap an ecu... I would look into getting a junked one and have it reprogrammed...

Last edited by IntellectualRedneck; 06-18-2019 at 11:26 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntellectualRedneck View Post
How did you determine that was the issue? Dang if I had to swap an ecu... I would look into getting a junked one and have it reprogrammed...
He’d to do what I didn’t want to do. Bring it to the dealer and have it hooked up to Consult II.

I’m not buying a used ECM so I can go through all this again. I now have warranty on parts and work.
TerryD likes this.

Click Here for >

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
He’d to do what I didn’t want to do. Bring it to the dealer and have it hooked up to Consult II.

I’m not buying a used ECM so I can go through all this again. I now have warranty on parts and work.
Sometimes that's the better way...

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode