Rancho Diff Armor - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
2012 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Rancho Diff Armor

Has anyone used this? Its for a Jeep Dana 44 rear axle. Are Dana 44 axles basically the same whether Jeep or Nissan??

I like that it protects the entire pumpkin rather than upgrading the cover.

Rancho RS6252B Differential Glide Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHRRV7S..._chS4CbK2XA3YA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM
2005 Xterra

I dont think its necessary, but I get the idea.

the m226 is not an exact d44, just based off of it. The bolt pattern is not the same, so maybe on that one.

But a better one that is cheaper than that exists anyways-

https://www.rocky-road.com/titandiffguard.html
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
This is the one I got...

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18979726-...kid-plate.html
Hawk136439 likes this.

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

>

>
|

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:02 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Putting a diff skid plate on a differential that is stronger then said skid plate makes no sense to me. Put on a steel diff cover like arb and call it a day.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:28 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanGREENnugget View Post
Putting a diff skid plate on a differential that is stronger then said skid plate makes no sense to me. Put on a steel diff cover like arb and call it a day.
One thought is a cover like Rocky Road's with a 'deflector' lip will push a rock/boulder downwards while lifting the truck, protecting the pumpkin instead of getting hung up on the front edge of the diff. But yes it will reduce some ground clearance. I'll mount and try mine and report back.
NWCoffeeGuy likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

One thing to consider is roll back impacts. Some of the diff skids don’t cover protection from rolling backwards into the rear diff.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Pro-4X

Coming from the Suzuki world where people shave their diffs to gain and extra 1/2-1 inch of ground clearance diff covers have always seemed wacky to me. The loss in ground clearance is often greater than the difference of upgrading from 33ís to 35ís and we all know the compromises people go through for that upgrade. And for what? To protect a part thatís the least likely to suffer damage from an impact. Your much more likely to chew up your driveshaft, snap an axle or bend a housing before pinching a hole in the diff pumpkin (hats excluded)

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet 180 View Post
Your much more likely to chew up your driveshaft, snap an axle or bend a housing before pinching a hole in the diff pumpkin (hats excluded)
I haven't ever heard of the differential getting punctured, but plenty of examples on the site of peeled back stock covers. I think concern about peeling the diff cover back is the reason for the covers and guards.
Vet 180 likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
. . . I think concern about peeling the diff cover back is the reason for the covers and guards.
^^ This, and also to prevent dents/damage to the cover that could create clearance issues with the ring gear.

Differential "skids" have an entirely different purpose - primarily to protect the housing, secondarily to improve the ability of the pumpkin to slide over obstacles.
outback97 likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
I haven't ever heard of the differential getting punctured, but plenty of examples on the site of peeled back stock covers. I think concern about peeling the diff cover back is the reason for the covers and guards.

Yeah I get the stock aluminum cover argument but as me meengreennugget mentioned get a steel hat thatís designed not to peal and call it a day. I guess there are people out there that will swear by the covers and maybe they donít loose as much ground clearance on the X as I think, however I have seen on wranglers and F150ís and the ground clearance loss on those vehicles was substantial

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode