P300 Random Misfire - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By Longboardr
  • 2 Post By Longboardr
  • 1 Post By Longboardr
  • 1 Post By pso
  • 1 Post By General_Tarfun
  • 1 Post By mkporwit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Night Armor Xterra Off Road 6MT

P300 Random Misfire

Hi All,

I've been getting a random misfire code on my Xterra (2006, 215K miles) the last couple of weeks. Shows up under load -- accelerating uphill is a quick way to evoke it. Seems to show up faster when the engine is warm, maybe?

To give you a little history: six months ago I replaced three of the ignition coils and all of the spark plugs, because I was having a misfire. In April I had a shop do a pretty complete engine overhaul -- new timing chain and tensioners, new oil gallery, new oil pump and oil sending unit. About a week and a half after that significant repair, the random misfire started showing up. Took it back to the shop... they couldn't find anything. No vacuum leaks, good spark As a precautionary measure, I had them replace the other three (still original) ignition coils. They took it to the dealer, who diagnosed the problem as a bad driver's side cat. I had both cats replaced two days ago. Picked up the car from the exhaust shop, and the code came back. Right now, it's only throwing the P300, not the P30X codes that would indicate a specific cylinder.

Any suggestions for what else might be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Misfires can kill (new) cats. I'd replace both cam sensors and the crank sensor asap. Hitachi (oem) cam sensors from Rockauto and the crank sensor from the dealer. Don't go aftermarket on these parts.

mkporwit and danyelle like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Also, if they didn't do it when the parts were replaced, check the plugs again that were under the old coils.

I'd also check the connection on every coil, the connector clicks twice when it's fully put on iirc. It's easy to think it's fully connected when it's not.
mkporwit and danyelle like this.

Last edited by Longboardr; 05-17-2019 at 12:59 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Veteran

Did you put Hitachi coil packs in for replacement?
mkporwit likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:55 PM
pso
2006 Xterra X

I had a problem with misfires after replacing my sparkplugs due to misalignment between the coil and the coil protector. The thread in the link below gives more details and links to photos.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...ot-damage.html
mkporwit likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
With all of the recent work you've recently had on it there's a decent chance one of he connectors has been left loose on something.

When I replaced my valve cover gaskets I first accidentally left loose the main harness for the coils on the drivers side of the engine (It only showed misfire code, no specific cylinder and it idled like a Harley, eventually figured that one out and still had a misfire. This one idled ok and drove mostly ok but would misfire really only under acceleration. If I let off the gas it would stop the misfire and holding a steady speed it would stop too.

That one I eventually tracked down to the fuel injector clip on cylinder #6. Visibly it looked like it was on but as I was going over the engine I pushed on all of the connectors and when I got to that one I felt it push in and click. That solved my problem and was easy to find so I'd start there just going over the engine and making sure everything is connected like it should be.
mkporwit likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Thanks for the good advice, folks. My mechanic tells me that the problem is that it's one of the rear cats that's causing the problem, and those were not addressed when I replaced the front ones. So, I've got a rear driver's side cat on order and will swap it out next week. At least that's relatively quick and easy work.

I don't know if the cam and crank sensors were replaced, and if so, if they were OEM. I'll check with the mechanic when I see him next week. I chatted with him today to confirm that his diagnostics last week had checked fuel pressure and compression, and he said yes, that both were good... so that rules out fuel pump and filter, and it also means any crud from a bad cat has not had a chance to damage the rings.

Finally, I'm not really noticing the misfire, other than the CEL indicating it. The truck runs pretty smoothly, starts smoothly, has power, and easing up on the throttle does not stop the CEL from flashing. In fact, I've gotten it cruising down a hill with barely any throttle. When I had the misfires back in December, those were real obvious -- the car would lurch and lose power. Whatever's going on now is relatively subtle.
danyelle likes this.

Last edited by mkporwit; 05-18-2019 at 01:52 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:05 AM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
fyi....the rear cat's aren't even monitored by the system. Not sure how your mechanic is able to deduce that the rear cats are causing the misfire problem....

-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Not sure how Nissan diagnosed that, unless they did a visual inspection, but that was the problem. Replacing the rear driver side cat caused the misfire code to go away.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode