High Pitch Whine not Timing Chain - Maybe Throw-out Bearing? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
100% that's the timing chain guides in that last video. Sounds exactly like mine did on startup when they were worn down and I was at almost that exact mileage.

You can confirm that yourself, just get either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and hold the handle end to your ear and the tip on top of the timing covers, move it around and the noise should be louder closer to the secondary chain guides and get quieter the further you move away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by General_Tarfun; 04-30-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 01:39 AM
2006 Red Brawn Xterra Off Road

That last video made me nostalgic for my poor mans supercharger aka secondary timing chain guides worn to metal. That's where my money is.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2006 Silver Lightning ❌terra 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
100% that's the timing chain guides in that last video. Sounds exactly like mine did on startup when they were worn down and I was at almost that exact mileage.

You can confirm that yourself, just get either a stethoscope or a long screwdriver and hold the handle end to your ear and the tip on top of the timing covers, move it around and the noise should be louder closer to the secondary chain guides and get quieter the further you move away.
So went in with a stethoscope today, hearing sound of a normal engine. No unusual sound of *grind grind, just the usual vroom vroom sound of an engine. The sound seems primarily coming from bottom of the car, not the engine bay. More of right underneath the driver seat. I do hear a supercharger like sound, but its more noticeable inside the cabin. Could this be a bad bearing? When you listen by the engine bay its not as loud as it is inside, I am still leaning toward something more underneath vs timing chain. Mechanic said it is an 8 hour job, $600 job, just to get to the transmission, my question, how long could I technically drive under such conditions? I figure worst case clutch goes out?

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaximaowner View Post
So went in with a stethoscope today, hearing sound of a normal engine. No unusual sound of *grind grind, just the usual vroom vroom sound of an engine. The sound seems primarily coming from bottom of the car, not the engine bay. More of right underneath the driver seat. I do hear a supercharger like sound, but its more noticeable inside the cabin. Could this be a bad bearing? When you listen by the engine bay its not as loud as it is inside, I am still leaning toward something more underneath vs timing chain. Mechanic said it is an 8 hour job, $600 job, just to get to the transmission, my question, how long could I technically drive under such conditions? I figure worst case clutch goes out?
Oh ok, you'd have definitely heard the scraping with the stetho so I stand corrected. I do recall a car I owned in high school that made a turbocharger sound that came from the transmission, it turned out to be the filter was clogged with gunk. A transmission shop dropped the pan and cleaned it out but let me know it was a temp fix and the tranny was on the way out. Sure enough a few months later I was driving along doing about 65mph and out of nowhere it just slammed from OD into 1st gear. I was lucky to not have cars behind me because it was the equivalent of just slamming the brakes on.

Is the mechanic going to deduct that cost from a repair if that turns out to be it or is this just a standalone one time cost? 600 is a lot to pay just for a diagnosis if that's the case.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

It's a real shame mileage wise you just recently replaced the clutch, otherwise I'd say definitely do it while they're in there.

There are some that believe in replacing the rear main seal whenever the tranny is pulled off.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran

Garage
^ Smart suggestion. That's the only oil leak I have but it's too big a job to do just for a small leak, since you'll have it out anyway it's a good time to do it even as a preventative measure.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2006 Silver Lightning ❌terra 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
Oh ok, you'd have definitely heard the scraping with the stetho so I stand corrected. I do recall a car I owned in high school that made a turbocharger sound that came from the transmission, it turned out to be the filter was clogged with gunk. A transmission shop dropped the pan and cleaned it out but let me know it was a temp fix and the tranny was on the way out. Sure enough a few months later I was driving along doing about 65mph and out of nowhere it just slammed from OD into 1st gear. I was lucky to not have cars behind me because it was the equivalent of just slamming the brakes on.

Is the mechanic going to deduct that cost from a repair if that turns out to be it or is this just a standalone one time cost? 600 is a lot to pay just for a diagnosis if that's the case.
Well agree $600 is way too much to pay for diagnostic alone. Was driving today, and got a CEL code, 2 actual P0430 and P0455. Now I am totally confused. Need to replace all cats and 02 sensors, 2nd code not sure, could be as easy as loose gas cap, to Evap system. I wonder if this is related to the whine, could back cats produce this type of whine? Also when accelerating I hear a sort of wind noise (also underneath) It's more of Air flow kind of noise underneath the car... Maybe it is worth going to a different mechanic to get a 2nd opinion?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode