Loud Clicking from Front of Engine - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

dang man, i mean if you have to drive it you have to drive it...

the concern at this point is that that chain comes off the pulley or skips a tooth and then the timing gets thrown off and bends a valve/ messes up the piston/ head.

and then your looking at not just fixing the timing chains but a full rebuild/ engine swap.

best of luck!
bluez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
We canít give magical answers. You asked about noise and have come to a conclusion of what it most likely is.
Continuing to drive the truck is a gamble. You know that.

My life seems to work the way yours has lately. I feel for ya. I wouldnít call myself a sh1t magnet, but boy does it come in spades sometimes.
Thatís life I suppose....

Canít your bank get your back and replace some funds? If itís fraud? Iíd sure be asking.
No one to carpool with? Bus? Bicycle?

Do what you need to do. Be aware though that when the chain grenades itís going to be a whole lot more expensive.
Best of luck. If my magic wand still worked Iíd wave it your way for sure......
bluez likes this.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
dang man, i mean if you have to drive it you have to drive it...

the concern at this point is that that chain comes off the pulley or skips a tooth and then the timing gets thrown off and bends a valve/ messes up the piston/ head.

and then your looking at not just fixing the timing chains but a full rebuild/ engine swap.

best of luck!
Non interference engine, so no bent valves, but if a chain comes off it's gonna be bad

OP, that has to be the main timing chain if it's that much noise. You will regret it if it comes off or breaks. Park it.
bluez likes this.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
That sounds worse than just worn tensioners, more like the tensioner has broken off and the chain is just riding on the stud. Like others have said if the chain breaks/derails it will cost more for repair obviously but at this point you're looking at 1.5-2k in repairs (Nissan dealership cost) or $400-$600 in just parts if you can do the work anyway for just the chains/guides.

If that's more than you want to put into it I'd say drive it if you have to but take it as easy as possible and be prepared for a possible breakdown that will require some kind of a tow and a ride for you.

If you really want to repair the truck you should park it and tow it to where ever the work will be performed ideally. I've noticed a lot of shops are offering repair financing now, I'm sure the terms aren't great but it can get you through to getting paid at least. Most shops will give you a tow if they are going to be performing the repair work so that would at least get you out of there. The dealer that did my timing chains threw in a loaner vehicle after I asked for one.
bluez likes this.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Noobie

Does anyone know if the tensioners on these motors are pressurized from engine oil pressure? if so, a can of Marvel Mystery Oil might get him down the road.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrant View Post
Does anyone know if the tensioners on these motors are pressurized from engine oil pressure? if so, a can of Marvel Mystery Oil might get him down the road.
The primary is, as well as spring. The secondaries, not so sure, oil does go through them, so I think yes as well.

I don't suggest any oil additives
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Does the fan wobble? Could be very worn out bearings on the fan clutch pulley.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
ĒYou are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.Ē

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

that other video sounds like the main chain slapping due to a broken tensioner shoe. the timing chain case on the left side has an acces port to see. a few 10mm bolts will let you see what's going on. its definitely a gamble taking a drive on that though.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
2005 Avalanche White Xterra S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Does the fan wobble? Could be very worn out bearings on the fan clutch pulley.
I took the belt completely off. Still sounded like an early 90s 12 valve Cummins.
jsexton likes this.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
2005 Avalanche White Xterra S 6MT

I tried to post an update yesterday, but cell signal was extra crappy.

We reached a spot where my morning tour hand could pick me up & drop me off at the hotel. And, 2 days before the noise started, my dad bought a car hauler. I was starting to freak out about how i was going to commute to work. There is no public transportation in BFE, Oklahoma. Dad picked it up last night & met me in OKC since my relief hand lives there. I bought him a couple beers & lunch at Twin Peaks. (I take care of my hands. Lol) I’m probably going to have the Nissan dealership do it, just because they can get it done faster than I can. Plus, I gotta go back to E. OK this week for another job that’s 24 hour service (2x the money for me). I can make that money back in a couple of days. So, things are starting to look up.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode