The Minion's VK Transformation (DONE!) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
Cool The Minion's VK Transformation (DONE!)

Well....there's a couple other documented threads of other member's VK swap projects. So....figured I'd add to the mix. The more info, the more helpful it'll be to others ;-)

The "official" how-to courtesy of @SinisterFrontier06 (aka...Driven Desire...aka Brennan Becker)

The Why: Need more power...hoping for better mpg's. With all the mods, weight, etc added, Minion get about 11mpgs on average. Sucky. She's not my DD, but I use her for my photo business & tows a m416 trailer with photo gear, which on average, takes me 3 hrs from home (one way) at least once a month. And pulling our 1500lb m416 camping trailer doesn't help either ;-)

The donor Titan is a 2005 with 112k miles. It's up in NY with a buddy right now, and he'll be bringing it down. It's also a column shift tranny....but luckily my local LKQ pick-n-pull yard had an '06 Titan in the yard that was a floor shift. So I pulled it's valve body for $80 to put into the donor's tranny 8-)

Original PROSPECTIVE Timeline was as follows:
- April 7 - start pulling engine & tranny after work, during the evening. No weekends available.
- April 20 - meet with interested party to deliver engine/tranny
- Sometime before end of April - have buddy send VK harness to Brennan before he brings engine/tranny down.
- End of April (<fingers crossed>) - receive VK, Tranny, ECU, etc from donor Titan. Hopefully receive VK harness back from Brennan
- Beginning of May/First weekend of May - Start work installing VK and all.

ACTUAL Timeline (updated as things progress)
- April 7 - start pulling engine & tranny after work
- April 20 - sold VQ engine/tranny
- May 3 - Received ENTIRE donor Titan
- Beginning of May/First weekend of May - Start work REMOVING VK
- May 9 - sent VK harness out to Brennan for conversion.....
- May 21 - received harness back
- May 24 - Got VK placed into engine bay late that evening (started after getting home from work)
- May 25 - Later that afternoon, successful first fire-up!
- May 28 - Day after Memorial Day weekend, drove it to work (sans muffler)
- May 29 - Muffler installed
- June 3 - FINALLY 100% buttoned up!! (other than a VDC off/SLIP light from steering rack replacement. Need to get steering angle senor reset)

only 1 month behind my anticipated timeline! not too shabby ;-) I attribute that to having to pull the VK outta the donor Titan myself, and then sending/waiting for the harness to come back from Brennan.

All this'll be done in my buddy's driveway as it's paved. I've got a gravel driveway, so engine hoist won't work too well.
So Minion's gonna be out of commission from April 7 thru some-date-in-the-near-future....hopefully no more than a month. **fingers crossed**

The exhaust system is getting completely redone also as my stock exhaust is showing it's age, has several small rust holes throughout the catback, and the muffler is crunched to all h3ll. I'm sure wheeling contributed to a lot of that LOL. As listed below, I'll be running JBA Long Tube Headers --> Cajun Catted B-Pipes --> Magnaflow 12580 muffler (2-2.25" in, 1-2.5" out) --> Ultraquiet resonator --> Tip. I dont' like/care for loud exhausts, but a nice low, deep grumble/growl works for me :-) Plus...will have family in there also for long trips out camping, so I want to keep the cabin quiet.

While I've got the engine bay wide open, I'm also gonna be replacing the power steering rack with a Detroit Axle rack. The stock one's not giving me any problems, but in seeing many forum posts & FB posts about racks needing replacement, i'm sure it's only a matter of time. So....what's another 280 bucks when spending several grand ;-)

The shopping list....
Total cost
(w/out selling engine)
selling Xterra engine/tranny
Donor Titan parts
------------------------------------------------
Part Number
vendor
price
Titan Harness Conversion Adapter, Xterra Alternator/Starter harnesses Brennan 350
fuel injectors Titan 3500
starter Titan
power steering pump Titan
High Pressure Power Steering Line Titan
Engine to Motor Mount Brackets Titan
fan clutch, fan blade Titan
lower radiator hose Titan
water pipe 13048-7S000 Titan
heater core hoses (may need to trim) Titan
AC Compressor Titan
lower radiator hose Titan
lower water pipe Titan
power steering reservoir and hose Titan
O2 Sensor - Rear Passenger Donor Titan or buy new
BCM, keys (to keep NATS) Titan
Transmission (donor is a column shift) need floor shift see more info below
Non-Donor Parts, Xterra parts
Valve body from floor shift tranny Junkyard 80
O2 sensors (3) Driver front/Rear, Pass Front YOUR truck
Pathy/Fronty parts for swap
V8 Pathfinder Fan Shroud - upper 21476-ZS20A nissanparts.penceauto.com
V8 Pathfinder Fan Shroud - lower 21477-ZS20A nissanparts.penceauto.com
4cyl Frontier heater core fitting 92410-EA000 nissanparts.penceauto.com
V8 Pathfinder upper radiator hose 21501-ZS20A amazon
V8 Pathfinder AC Compressor Low Line 92480ZT00A (DON'T use 92480-ZS21A as listed in Brennan's post...the length is too short) ebay
Xterra Alternator ----
Uprev & exhaust
Cajun Stage 1 Uprev, headers, b-pipes Cajun B-Pipes
Ultraquiet Resonator Cajun B-Pipes
muffler shop
muffler Borla 40349 amazon
exhaust manifold gasket (2) 14036-7S001 nissanparts.penceauto.com
b-pipe gaskets (4) 20692-65J00 nissanparts.penceauto.com
Misc/Maintenance items
R32 refrigerant ----
Tranny Fluid - Matic S (11.25) 16qts nissanparts.penceauto.com
Thermostat (170* 300zx) 2120042L01 ebay
Coolant 999MPAF000P nissanparts.penceauto.com
PCV valve, 8 NGK spark plugs, serpentine belt, Intake Manifold Gaskets, valve cover gaskets Rock Auto
Tranny mount Performance Lifts
Engine Mounts CJD Racing
While I'm in there....
steering rack Detroit axle
steering rack bushings off-road gorilla

Transmission & Valve body info
- The swap REQUIRES a floor shift transmission. If you use a column shift transmission, the transmission will always start out in high gear & never shift.
- In the event you source a COLUMN shift, you just need to swap in the Valve body from a floor shift Titan (or the one from your XTerra, or Frontier)
- You can also just swap the TCM from the floor shift into the column shift's valve body.
- It does NOT matter if you get a valve body from a 2WD or 4WD donor. what matters is that it's from a floor shift.
(click to enlarge)

Schematic of the bolts to remove to drop the valve body:
(click to enlarge)

- A, B, C indictate which bolts are of the same size. Bolt C is a very important bolt, it's called the "Alignment bolt", and that specific bolt needs to go back in that same spot. I'm no mechanic, and I don't know what it does...but it's important LOL
- as you start to loosen the bolts, tranny fluid WILL pour outta there, so have something underneath to catch it
- Once you remove the last bolt, the body WILL drop freely, so be sure to keep a hand under it.
- Look up above the valve body and you'll see a green clip near the top of the housing. Disconnect that & the valve body will be free

Info about things that worked for me during this process....
Forget PB Blaster...get yourself a couple cans of Freeze-Off!! I found this in Autozone & figured 'why not'.
Just...WOW! this stuff works AMAZING! seized bolts on primary cats at exhaust manifold cracked loose. All 15 nuts that deal w/ the transmission crossmember, that have never been touched in 14 years, cracked with elbow grease.

Xterra Engine Removal
  • Remove the front end as one giant piece
    - Leave radiator, AC condensor, tranny cooler, tranny fan, power steering cooler all intact on the crossmember
    * remove grill, bumper, and headlights
    * Disconnect both tranny lines from the nipples just above the oil cooler. Allow them to drain into a bucket while wrenching on other stuff.
    (I folded a long piece of cardboard in half, and shoved it under the nipples to use as a ramp to guide the tranny fluid from the nipples down into a bucket.)
    * Remove the radiator drain plug (underside on the driverside end), and allow coolant to drain from radiator/engine block while wrenching on other stuff
    * disconnect power steering hardline from the softlines on both driver & passenger side.
    --> Removing the battery gave my hand plenty of room to get down to where the hardline meets the softline on driver side
    --> For driverside hose clamp, I found getting to it from under the truck was easiest. Passenger side is easy, from the front, coming in on side between body & frame rail
    --> I used a TINY philips head screwdriver (a little bigger than jewelers size), and shoved that in gently between the two lines to help break the hoses apart, while working the softline off with the other hand.
    --> I placed a long piece of cardboard, folded in half like a valley, running from under the driver side connection to a bucket in front of the truck as the reservoir will empty
    * release the AC refrigerant [I](I didn't wanna deal w/ going to a shop to 'safely' remove it...so I just let it loose into the atmosphere ;-) I'll take credit for that hole in the atmosphere above Minon.{/I]
    --> Locate the high pressure AC port near the front driver side. It'll have a cap on it. Take an allen key that fits into there & can make contact w/ the valve.
    - Wrap a thick rag around the port with allen key stickign out of it. Then take a plastic shopping bag, & wrap THAT around the rag. Put on a couple rubber gloves.
    - Standing upwind (LOL), press & release that allen key quickly many, many, many times over. Gradually release the pressure/refrigerant that way.
    * Don't keep it depressed, or you're gonna just make a HUGE mess. The first minute or so, it WILL release oily refrigerant during that time
    * The rag WILL get cold due to the refrigerant. that'll catch the oily stuff too. The plastic bag is to just help contain the mess from bleeding thru the rag.
    - After a couple minutes, you'll be able to keep it depressed while the refrigerant escapes as a pure vapor
    * Disconnect AC lines
    --> Driverside will disconnect from the radiator, passenger side will disconnect from the firewall
    * Disconnect the upper & lower raidator hoses from the radiator. Put the radiator plug back in. Should be fully drained by now.
    * Disconnect the wiring harness to the electric fan behind the tranny cooler
    * Disconnect the wiring harness going to the radiator (thermo sensor?). It's right by the tranny cooler fan harness
    - If I'm not forgetting anything else, remove the 12 bolts that hold the front crossmember in place (6 on each side).
    *Grab the crossmember, walk back slowly with it, and VOILA! front end is off!

Reached character limit for post....click here to continue (jumps to post #42)

bluez and VMBiohazard like this.

Last edited by JOSX2; 06-05-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
Exhaust (Cajun B-Pipes State 1 setup)
- JBA long tube headers
- Cajun heavy metal catted b-pipes
- Borla 40349 (originally was using Magnaflow 12580, but not any longer)
- Ultraquiet Resonator
pic shows the Magnaflow 12580

Borla compared to the Magnaflow...

- 16qts Matic S
- gallon OEM coolant

Upper and lower radiator shrouds

- valve cover gaskets
- header gaskets
- intake manifold gaskets
- b-pipe gaskets
- serpentine belt
- low pressure AC line
- upper radiator hose
- PCV valve
- heater core fitting
- spark plugs
- tranny mount
- engine mounts
- UpRev
20190328_203000_2.jpg

- Detroit Axle steering rack
- steering rack bushings

- +25hp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-|-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)

Last edited by JOSX2; 05-22-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:21 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Garage
nice! can't wait to see the transformation

Click Here for >

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
me neither! I'll bet prolly as cool as yours ;-) LOL

-|-

on Instagram

post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Man those fuel injectors are pricey!

post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
Fuel injectors?? *Scratches head*

LOL

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

-|-

on Instagram

post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:57 PM
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
Fuel injectors?? *Scratches head*

LOL

From your table....or is that a format issue or code word for the engine or something?

post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
Ahhhhhh....had to search the webpage for "fuel" to find what you were talking about! LOL

They are expensive mofo's! The 'plus side' to it is that an engine/tranny/ECU/harness were thrown in for free at least!

(It's mostly copy/pasted from Brennan's parts list in the vk-swap how-to)

Allshookup and PhullD like this.

-|-

on Instagram

post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Following for sure!

>
&

>

>
|
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 AM
NewX’er 4life

Garage
All these VK swaps lately have me searching for engines on car-parts.com. Nothing I do is ever enough to satiate the desire for more....you guys are a bad influence!

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode