4x4 Indicator Blinks - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Pathfinder

Unhappy 4x4 Indicator Blinks

Hello all,

I have 2007 R51 Pathfinder 2.5, 175k km. I have an issue that few mechanics are not able to fix for almost 2 years (I'm working outside of the country and I wasn't using the car).

My 4x4 Indicator blinks (not whole, but just front wheels and the square in middle) almost non stop without any reason:
I can't upload video yet, but this is the indicator that shows the driving mode AUTO/4H/2L. In Xterra this is located in Tachometers circle)

1. Transfer case was replaced (second hand)
2. Transfer case CU was changed (then reverted back to mine)
3. All cables from Transfer case to Transfer case CU are checked
4. The position of all wheels is correct
5. No error in ECU
6. ABS is ok
7. EPS is ok

Other changes(made before the problem)
ECU was reprogrammed to disable DPF.

I have no idea what to do. I'm writing in Xterra forum, because I believe that they are almost same cars.

Last mechanic said that this is probably some software issue (He spent 4 months changing parts, checking the cables, etc.).

Anyone having this issue?

Last edited by kivanov; 03-26-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Mine did when one of the harnesses came off the clip and rubbed on DS...was partially my fault when I installed LT headers, but even so, only thing preventing that is a plastic retainer that will dry out and fail over time, I bet...not saying that is likely, just possible. Bad spot for the harness, really.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Possibly a bad neutral safety switch, but I'd think it would only be an issue going into 4lo if it were that.

No ABS, Brake, or VDC lights lit up on the dash correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X [New Hotness]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Possibly a bad neutral safety switch, but I'd think it would only be an issue going into 4lo if it were that.
Not going into 4lo is usually a bad 4lo switch/sensor that’s on the t case itself.

It’s most likely the transfer case control module. I bought a low mileage one at a auto recycler for about $75. Theybare very easy to change. One maybe two wire connectors (can’t remeber) a vacuum/breather line, and a couple of bolts. It will take you longer to jack it up and put stands under it than it will take to change it.

Click Here for >

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Not going into 4lo is usually a bad 4lo switch/sensor that’s on the t case itself.

It’s most likely the transfer case control module. I bought a low mileage one at a auto recycler for about $75. Theybare very easy to change. One maybe two wire connectors (can’t remeber) a vacuum/breather line, and a couple of bolts. It will take you longer to jack it up and put stands under it than it will take to change it.
He said the entire transfer case was changed too. If it weren’t for that, I would have suggested the same.

Very odd issue considering the info given.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:00 AM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X [New Hotness]

The down side of posting while at work. I’m usually only able to briefly skim the original post and then respond.

Click Here for >

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
Mine did when one of the harnesses came off the clip and rubbed on DS...was partially my fault when I installed LT headers, but even so, only thing preventing that is a plastic retainer that will dry out and fail over time, I bet...not saying that is likely, just possible. Bad spot for the harness, really.
All wires from transfer case CU to ECU, automatic gearbox CU are checked and like new - this what the mechanic said

Quote:
No ABS, Brake, or VDC lights lit up on the dash correct?
No lights at all, at some point after 1h of blinking I'm getting 4x4 Light On (the orange one).

Quote:
He said the entire transfer case was changed too. If it weren’t for that, I would have suggested the same.

Very odd issue considering the info given.
I've changed the entire transfer case, but I'm using my transfer motor and my control unit. At the end the mechanic said that mine transfer case was okay too. 1 year ago another mechanic told me that I should get another one (so I bought used one). About Control Unit we tested with second hand one and also with one from same car in the service center (but with manual gearbox).

Last edited by kivanov; 03-26-2019 at 03:15 AM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Sounds like the transfer case motor is bad. That will cause your exact symptoms. I’ve seen several of those go bad.

- J.J. Watt

and
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Pathfinder

Quote:
Sounds like the transfer case motor is bad. That will cause your exact symptoms. I’ve seen several of those go bad.
I think that if I'm trying to switch to 4H/4L it works (I'm far away from home now). Is there any electronic circuits inside the motor or it is a simple motor? And what is the best way to test it? Can I just disconnect it from transfer case CU?

How many motors(actuators) transfer case has?

1. My original transfer case has attached - LM1004-03, so the other one in the car is using it's own LM1004-03. The one in the car uses my original 33274-7S110 (may be my numbers are a bit different)
2. I have in the basement my original transfer case with it's own LM1004-03 and 33274-7S110 detached from the second transfer case.

I think that 33274-7S110 - is related to changing the modes 2H/AUTO/4H/2L and LM1004-03 is somehow related to auto mode?

Last edited by kivanov; 03-27-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

I was getting U1000 and P1808 codes in the transfer control unit on the 06 pathfinder when I started helping out with it. Those problems went away when I replaced the old white IPDM with a newer black one. I think the IPDM was either directly flooding the canbus with garbage or not supplying enough power to other canbus devices which then flooded the comm wires with garbage. Either way the ABS, ECM, TCM and TCU couldn't talk to each other through all the noise and the other problems just evaporated when the noise was cleared up. If you have U1000 codes popping up in any controller you have basic canbus problems to deal with first.

Have you got a copy of the FSM? You'll want the TF section. Those diagnostic flowcharts are really good.

Do you have the ATX14B or the TX15B? The ATX14B has "AUTO" on the knob between "2WD" and "4H". The 2010 pathfinder I help with has the ATX14B and the 2006 pathfinder has the TX15B more like my 2009 xterra has. (No "AUTO" mode.)

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode