Front CV Axle Shot? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 AM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Lol. I had to drop the valve body on my transmission twice to change out solenoids and try to save it from SMOD and again to fix a craptastic gasket that leaked like crazy. Little did I know even after drained, there's about 1/2 a quart left in the pan when you unbolt it.

Also, I'm clumsy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Front CV Axle Shot?

Thanks to @IM1RU and @DaveN for helping problem solve and for the tutorial on doing this job! It was definitely a leaking oil seal; my drive on the freeway provided plenty of grime. I値l do the job tomorrow and take some pics to throw onto the How To for this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

I知 having difficulty getting the hub assembly to move out of the way far enough to get the cv axle out of the differential. Any suggestions? I致e got both the ball joints loose.

Adam12SD likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 PM

I just did this last week to replace a torn boot. I had to remove the spindle from the top ball joint (heim, in your case). Don't let it droop all the way out as it might effect the lower ball joint. It was more than enough clearance to take the entire CV assembly out with the shaft. I just carefully pried it from the base of the inner CV near the diff. I wouldn't yank on it, I've heard this can mess up the inner CV. Good luck!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinGuns View Post
I知 having difficulty getting the hub assembly to move out of the way far enough to get the cv axle out of the differential. Any suggestions? I致e got both the ball joints loose.

The UCA and tie rod must be completely removed from the spindle. I've never had an issue from letting the spindle hang, just make sure you have enough slack on the brake and abs lines.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Adam12SD and BlazinGuns like this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
I just did this last week to replace a torn boot. I had to remove the spindle from the top ball joint (heim, in your case). Don't let it droop all the way out as it might effect the lower ball joint. It was more than enough clearance to take the entire CV assembly out with the shaft. I just carefully pried it from the base of the inner CV near the diff. I wouldn't yank on it, I've heard this can mess up the inner CV. Good luck!

Thanks! That was my problem. I got the axle out of the hub, but I am struggling to get enough leverage on the axle to pop it out. I知 gonna try and get a second pair to hands to help

Click Here for >
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Yeah, it's a bit tricky. It should just pop out but if it doesn't, like I said be VERY gentle and just pry in-between the axle and the diff only on solid portions of the CV (if that makes any sense). A gentle nudge worked for me and it came right out with minimal force.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
The UCA and tie rod must be completely removed from the spindle. I've never had an issue from letting the spindle hang, just make sure you have enough slack on the brake and abs lines.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Yes I realized that was the only option, tried it, and came out victorious! I知 putting together a how to complete with pics, should be up tomorrow. Thank you for your help with this.

Lizardking and DaveN like this.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode