Well this Sucks... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra OR 4x4

Well this Sucks...

Having seen the teeny spot the front output on the transfer case was making on the ground, I neglected my rig for far too long (years). Too many other things going on in life. The transfer case starting thunking the other day, so I parked it. Performed the front drive output seal upgrade.........and then put almost a full fill of fluid in the TC. Too little too late. The rear output has a lot of play in it. I am suspecting the supporting bearing(s) went dry and it ate itself up.

[FACEPALM]

62k miles on a barely used rig that's been more a toy than anything and I need a TC.

FAWK!
Adam12SD likes this.

[W6ORV] 2M/70CM Icom Mobile Dual Band / CB / 60 Amp Aux Power Buss / Front Suspension - Fabtech 6" Lift w/ Radflo COS's & 650# Eibachs / Rear Suspension - SOA Conversion, Deaver AAL & PRG Lift Brackets, Fox 2.0 Res / Tom Woods Double Cardan 1310 Driveshaft / BTF Diff Cover / Anytime M226 Rear Locker Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm975 View Post
Having seen the teeny spot the front output on the transfer case was making on the ground, I neglected my rig for far too long (years). Too many other things going on in life. The transfer case starting thunking the other day, so I parked it. Performed the front drive output seal upgrade.........and then put almost a full fill of fluid in the TC. Too little too late. The rear output has a lot of play in it. I am suspecting the supporting bearing(s) went dry and it ate itself up.

[FACEPALM]

62k miles on a barely used rig that's been more a toy than anything and I need a TC.

FAWK!
Dang it... This really makes me want to change out ALL the fluids on my truck. Scary to think about...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
2006 Granite Xterra OR 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
Dang it... This really makes me want to change out ALL the fluids on my truck. Scary to think about...

It's ironic, I am up on maintenance on our Dodges we tow heavy with and our tractors. My one pleasure vehicle I ignored, all I had to do was check that level periodically and not assume that tiny spot meant tiny leak rate.

[W6ORV] 2M/70CM Icom Mobile Dual Band / CB / 60 Amp Aux Power Buss / Front Suspension - Fabtech 6" Lift w/ Radflo COS's & 650# Eibachs / Rear Suspension - SOA Conversion, Deaver AAL & PRG Lift Brackets, Fox 2.0 Res / Tom Woods Double Cardan 1310 Driveshaft / BTF Diff Cover / Anytime M226 Rear Locker Mod

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm975 View Post
It's ironic, I am up on maintenance on our Dodges we tow heavy with and our tractors. My one pleasure vehicle I ignored, all I had to do was check that level periodically and not assume that tiny spot meant tiny leak rate.
Well my weekend begins tonight. Which means fluid level checks and PMs start tomorrow morning. Fun fun fun. No to find a How-to for TC maintenance. Lol.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
@mk3racer is selling a transfer case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12SD View Post
Not a bad idea, honestly. The diffs and TC are simple, and you could always just do a drain and fill on the transmission if the fluid looks good, or go with a PMF.

My X,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by caain; 01-29-2019 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:33 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Is the tc just a fill plug and drain plug set up?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Yes, fill plug and drain plug.

Thankfully transfer cases are cheap and there are a lot of them out there.
funkierfawn21` likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldstruckn View Post
Is the tc just a fill plug and drain plug set up?
yes remove fill plug first to make sure you can actually get it out / back in.
mtnbound and BlackbirdSR71 like this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:05 PM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Just did all of the fluids end of December. Way easier than expected with a fluid pump. Unfortunately my front seal just went out so I am having to deal with that. Piece of mind is good to have.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Ouch. Mine is leaking also and I've been dawdling putting the new seal on because I hate doing vehicle work in winter. Heck a new seal, flange, and nut are in a box on my tool chest.

Last few times I've checked, it's taken around a quart to refill and only holds a little over 2. Leaking more and faster than I figured. Hoped it was like the rear diff, drips all the time but you open the fill plug and it's still spilling out the top.

Maybe this weekend, thanks for the scare.
funkierfawn21` likes this.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

-
-

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode