Engine Rebuild - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
2007 Xterra

Red face Engine Rebuild

Hello. I have a 2007 Xterra 4.0. My chain tensioner broke causing the timing to skip which possibly led to bent valve(s). I replaced the tensioners and timing chain but the compression was way to low. I figured what the heck. Just tear it down and rebuild the heads, hone out the cylinders and replace the rings, rod bearings, main bearings and oil pump while I'm at it. Maybe even the Galley Gasket. So I can have a fresh engine that can last awhile longer. I'm on a limited budget so can anyone that can suggest the best affordable needed parts that can purchased will be much appreciated. Thanks
Adam12SD, Chunjee and danyelle like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra 4x4

Damn buddy you're doing the most. My two cents. I would just look for a used engine. That parts list for what you're going to need is going to equal or exceed what you would pay for a used motor. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but save yourself the aggravation of more financial surprises lurking inside that bad motor. Good luck with whatever you do

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
bluez likes this.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prideandufc View Post
Damn buddy you're doing the most. My two cents. I would just look for a used engine. That parts list for what you're going to need is going to equal or exceed what you would pay for a used motor. I know it's probably not what you want to hear but save yourself the aggravation of more financial surprises lurking inside that bad motor. Good luck with whatever you do

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I second this ... just look for a good used engine and be done with it. You think you have everything covered when doing an engine rebuild but there is alllllways more once you get it opened up.

I put a 2011 motor in my 2006 , I bought it for $1200CDN and it only had 71,000km and even still had the factory blue Nissan coolant in the galleys.
bluez and prideandufc like this.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
2007 Xterra

I priced all the parts and to do a head rebuild it's $300 for both. The Head Gasket Set, Head Bolts, bearings, rings and oil pump and etc. is around $350 thru Ebay and Amazon. So I figured anywhere from $700 to $800 for parts and I'll have a fresh engine that I can probably put another 100,000 on it. The used engines with low miles in So Cal can cost around $2500. I know it can be somewhat time consuming but wouldn't you guys agree it's worth it now knowing that everything is good from the start?
BrianK and danyelle like this.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
If you have the know how and time to dedicate to it I'd say go with the rebuild. Although the X engine is a strong one and I wouldn't have any doubts about a used one either.
prideandufc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

So I think what people are saying is that once you get into the rebuild it will get way more involved / expensive than you think.

How did you determine it was a bad valve? Have you done a compression test? Is it low on all cylinders or just one? If so, have you tried to ID whether its rings or valves? Basically, you do a compression test on all cylinders. If its low on compression squirt a very small amount of oil in that cylinder and try again. If the compression improves slightly then its likely rings. If it stays about the same its likely a valve. Search the WWW or you tube for better tutorials on that - but thats the basics. Don't forget to hold the intake a WOT well your doing your test.

I think your best bet is to try to ID the problem. If its one bad valve or something you might get away with just fixing that one head?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
2007 Xterra

I did a compression test and got the following results:

Passenger/Driver
Cylinders: 1-120 2-150
3-120 4-150
5-90 6-150
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 06:21 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allbrant View Post
I did a compression test and got the following results:

Passenger/Driver
Cylinders: 1-120 2-150
3-120 4-150
5-90 6-150

So squire a tiny bit of oil in 1, 3 and 5 and try it again to see if it improves. If it does its likely rings. If it does not its likely valves. Like I said, google around there are some better tutorials on youtube, etc.

All the bad ones are on on bank 1 which is interesting. Maybe your lucky and just need one head replaced.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

How many miles are on the motor?
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
2007 Xterra

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode