Opinion about VQ40DE Engine Service Life - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Pull the serpentine belt off and see if the noise stays the same or goes away, then you'll know if it's a belt driven noise or engine.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.

Last edited by Longboardr; 11-09-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriodendron View Post
Well finally I hear the whine. I'd been worrying about this after reading through the forums and trying to make sure that I was staying ahead of any issues to come. Right at 200,000 miles and running great, the timing chain/tensioner issue was one what had me really worried, because I bought the vehicle at roughly 177,000 miles and didn't know if this had ever been addressed. I'd listened to other videos, but couldn't pick out the sound, and because I got it at 177,000 miles I didn't know what "normal" sounded like for this engine. Well the revving in this video sounds like my engine for sure. I'm going to give it a closer listen, but after hearing this video, I think that I have the whine.

Just did catalytic converters, and can't afford another big repair at the moment (really couldn't afford that one!) but I think it's evident that I need to start putting some money away for this. Any idea on how long you can go with the whine? or are there any other symptoms that come along to tell you not to wait any longer?
The whine is pretty distinctive. Mine was most noticeable the instant it came off idle on RPM ramp - if that helps.

I did let mine whine quite a while. but having to do it over I wouldn't wait any longer than I had to. My pensioner pads were gone, and it was just about to start wearing into the tensioners themselves, which my understanding makes the repair more costly.

So I suppose it depends on how long they have been whining and how much longer your thinking of driving it.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 PM
2006 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

My '06 is 136K. No whine, no valve noise. I have a company vehicle for everyday commuting, etc., so hope to have this X for another 5 years, at a minimum. Mine had a 100K service at a dealer, but I don't know what they do at 100K. Does anyone here know?

Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by posrrr View Post
My '06 is 136K. No whine, no valve noise. I have a company vehicle for everyday commuting, etc., so hope to have this X for another 5 years, at a minimum. Mine had a 100K service at a dealer, but I don't know what they do at 100K. Does anyone here know?
If you have all your original owner’s manuals the maintenance schedule is in one of them. The main one? I forget which, but def know they are there.

You also should have gotten an invoice listing the work. Call the dealer and big em to get you a copy.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:04 AM
TNX Realm Noobie

I've had 2 xterras that both needed timing chains, first one only had like 120k on it and the 2nd at about 150k. Only was a distinct whine that went up and down in pitch with RPM (sounds like a supercharger) and the other was a nasty sounding rattle for 1 second at startup. Excluding this totally repairable issue I don't see any reason these motors wont live to 300k with proper maintenance.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by posrrr View Post
2014 Nissan
Replace engine oil
Replace Brake Fluid
Rotate tires
Thorough inspection

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee
Old 11-10-2018, 11:34 AM
2006 Super Black Xterra 4wd S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Pull the serpentine belt off and see if the noise stays the same or goes away, then you'll know if it's a belt driven noise or engine.
I will try pulling the belt off, but if that video posted is indicative of the noise I'd be hearing, then I think it's a safe bet that I'm having the tensioner issue, and at 200,000 miles too? It's probably time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn88 View Post
So I suppose it depends on how long they have been whining and how much longer your thinking of driving it.
It's hard to tell how long really, as far as I remember it's sounded like this. I got the vehicle at 177,000 miles and I'm about 20 miles from 200,000. I'd like to keep driving it through the winter and have it as a Spring project that I do myself. That would give me time to plan, learn the job and purchase the materials. I drive about 45 miles a day on average. That's why I'm curious about continuing symptoms, or something to listen for that says do it now.

The X drives great now and I'd like to get it to 300,000+
bluez likes this.

Last edited by Liriodendron; 11-10-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:26 PM
2005 Xterra SE 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liriodendron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I will try pulling the belt off, but if that video posted is indicative of the noise I'd be hearing, that I think it's a safe bet that I'm having the tensioner issue, and at 200,000 miles too? It's probably time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn88 View Post
It's hard to tell how long really, as far as I remember it's sounded like this. I got the vehicle at 177,000 miles and I'm about 20 miles from 200,000. I'd like to keep driving it through the winter and have it as a Spring project that I do myself. That would give me time to plan, learn the job and purchase the materials. I drive about 45 miles a day on average. That's why I'm curious about continuing symptoms, or something to listen for that says do it now.

The X drives great now and I'd like to get it to 300,000+
In the same boat at 225k. I have some noises under the hood, but nothing that sounds too angry. Was thinking about bringing it to the dealer for a diag. and see what they suggest. There are other videos where you can hear the chains slapping because they are loose and others where you hear the chain rubbing over the metal of the guide. Both of those are pretty obvious and angry sounding. Also going to run an oil analysis which may show if I'm wearing out beyond the plastic part of the guides. I fully intend to go over 300k also. This motor has been very reliable so far.
Liriodendron likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:54 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Glacier White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinX View Post
I wholeheartedly expect to exceed 250,000 miles on the engine in my 2006.
(The only caveats: selling it for a different Xterra or going with the V8 swap instead of doing the timing chains....)

Every engine has weak points. Every engine needs PM. Every engine has wear items that require replacement at some point.

Outside of those factors, the VQ40 tself is a damn robust design. One of the best I’ve owned. FAR superior to the V8 travesty that Rover used in the Disco/RR for too many years. And on par with the beautifully bulletproof m42 4 banger BMW developed.

I define both valves and timing chains as “eventual” wear items. Some might never need touched. Others may require several visits over time.
The defining factors are hugely varied by vehicle history, PM, abuse and use, etc. BUT, no engine lasts forever. And good maintenance will take most modern engines far past the manufacturers projected obsolesence.

I’m just shy of 140,000. It’ll either be a timing chain job or the V8 swap whenever I start to hear the tell tale “whine”.
(The service history of my X, while pretty comprehensive, never mentions TC replacement.)
Valves? Who knows. Most likely never. But if they need done they’ll get done.

As one of our esteemable veteran members said in another thread, “we are outliers”, who care more for our vehicles than the general public.
We define every problem, address every issue, chase each tiny annoyance til the bitter end.

And we ALWAYS open up the engine.<a href="https://thenewx.org/forum/images/TheNewX_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:-)</a>

Very well said, describes how I feel about the X to a T

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in