Opinion about VQ40DE Engine Service Life - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by idn88 View Post
Any Nissan mechanic familiar with it will know in an instant.
If the dealership is willing to admit it's a thing. I presented the TSB to the guys at the local Nissan dealership and even though town is FULL of Nissans, they tried to claim they'd never heard of anything like it before.

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Valve lash only needs to be adjusted if your valves are noisy. The adjustment involves replacing the lifters based on size.
Just in case anyone is interested, I found a write-up on this.

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/t...%20Engines.pdf
mtnbound likes this.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Was there any indication of a problem before it failed?
No whining that I could tell. The morning it went there was a ticking from the top of the engine that got louder and more pronounced until the engine turned off. I thought it was just because it was really cold that morning.
Longboardr likes this.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
2005 Red Brawn Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Its a telltale whine - sounds like you have a blower. Mine was fainter than most describe.
I'm familiar with the timing chain guide sound. I would say that it's a high pitched whine. I assume when the actual timing chain wears out it's a different sort of whine. Comparing it to a blower makes me think the sound is lower pitched. Would you agree?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S 4x4

Garage
The chain itself? A rare bird. Usually ticking or clacking.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
Just in case anyone is interested, I found a write-up on this.

http://www.sbintl.com/tech_library/t...%20Engines.pdf
crap man that sounds like a pita. I def have a valve out of spec, can hear the tick even after warmed up. how bad is too bad? i guess im asking at what point does it becomes a problem that requires attention?
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytawn View Post
I have seen many threads on here with people achieving high miles on their engines. The leader at the moment is at 350K [https://www.thenewx.org/forum/9-gene...50-000-a.html], which is astoundingly impressive. On the flip side, I ran across a site that had the following to say about the VQ40DE Engine Service Life:

I would like to get people's opinions regarding whether they think the engine life expectancy of 200K is accurate or overly conservative. Also, what do people think about the timing chain service life being 150K? I have seen timing chain kits that include new chains and other parts. Is this something that should be considered a maintenance item or is it better not to open up the engine and just keep the oil changed regularly with a quality synthetic? Lastly, what is meant by the valve clearance needing to be adjusted every 60K? I've never even heard of that before.
Like all engines, lifespan can be extended if it's maintained well not abused. I'm at ~158000 today, original owner and the first actual repair I had to do was replace the oil pressure sensor at 141,000/11 years after buying it. That's a pretty good track record for any vehicle. I used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the first oil change onward and had to replace the timing chain guides at around 145k so that doesn't have a big impact in my view on 'preventing' the guides from wearing. That said, the guides are plastic for a reason and are a wear item that will eventually need replacement. Lastly, I think that anyone who paid to have their valve clearances adjusted probably also paid for a gallon of full synthetic blinker fluid if you know what I mean.
jcco likes this.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
If the dealership is willing to admit it's a thing. I presented the TSB to the guys at the local Nissan dealership and even though town is FULL of Nissans, they tried to claim they'd never heard of anything like it before.
funny, i mentioned it to the service guys at local Nissan while waiting for something else and before i even finished asking the question they said "yep, takes a few days and about $1200.00."

something of comfort, they added" the techs didn't put it on the work order so they must be fine", " they know what it sounds like"

Last edited by mtnbound; 11-06-2018 at 05:14 PM.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
funny, i mentioned it to the service guys at local Nissan while waiting for something else and before i even finished asking the question they said "yep, takes a few days and about $1200.00."

something of comfort, they added" the techs didn't put it on the work order so they must be fine", " they know what it sounds like"
I had both experiences. I was in a dealer in NC (I was on a trip) and had a small issue so I swung in to their place to pay them to fix it - since it was near my hotel and I was busy with work. Anyway, I thought the chains were whining but the dealer actually mentioned and quoted it (secondary guides only - maybe $800.00 they said was all that was needed) without me even asking.

Later, back home in SC, I called all three dealers in the area - one quoted "about $2500", the other two wouldn't quote without coming in and paying a diagnostic fee. Needless to say none got my business, and likely won't ever.

Most dealers suck. I guess there area a handful of decent ones too.
mtnbound and jcco like this.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
I had both experiences. I was in a dealer in NC (I was on a trip) and had a small issue so I swung in to their place to pay them to fix it - since it was near my hotel and I was busy with work. Anyway, I thought the chains were whining but the dealer actually mentioned and quoted it (secondary guides only - maybe $800.00 they said was all that was needed) without me even asking.

Later, back home in SC, I called all three dealers in the area - one quoted "about $2500", the other two wouldn't quote without coming in and paying a diagnostic fee. Needless to say none got my business, and likely won't ever.

Most dealers suck. I guess there area a handful of decent ones too.

A lot of them suck, I'm fortunate to have a good one nearby. I was there picking up some hoses one day and the parts guy saw the year of my X and asked if I'd changed out the guides yet, told me they do a decent amount of those jobs there. About a year later when I started hearing the whine I sent them an email and they came back quickly with a reasonable price and even threw in a loaner.
mtnbound and jcco like this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode