5/21 Update: 2014 S Oil Burn - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2014 Glacier White ❌terra S

Garage
5/21 Update: 2014 S Oil Burn

I think I may have gotten a lemon with my 2014 Xterra S....yet it hasn't cost me a dime because of having bought the 10 year/100k mile bumper to bumper. This could be a long explanation.

So far here's whats happened with mine:

At ~35k miles they replaced the timing chain
At ~50k they replaced the valve cover gaskets

Something that's happened a few times since I've had the vehicle is if I'm parked on a steep-ish hill, steep enough to feel like I have to use the parking brake (auto transmission), once the car has been sitting and I start the car, the oil pressure gauge would kind of bounce around and the oil light flicker until I put it in drive. The oil never seemed low, so I figured it was just a gravity thing because of being parked on a hill.

But now....I'm burning oil....or something....and they can't figure out where and Nissan is telling them it's "normal." I went on a roadtrip from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse). A week before the trip when I got my oil changed is when they noticed the valve covers leaking. Fast forward 4k miles later (checked it every 1k miles during the trip like I always do and levels were normal) when I was at a coffee shop back in Anchorage. I go to leave and my oil pressure gauge stays bottomed out when I started my car. Cycled the car on/off a few times...didn't help. Pulled around the side of the building, checked the oil...dipstick was dry as a bone. Granted the engine had been running but I would expect there to be some residue or something...but alas there was not. Oil gauge eventually started registering normal oil pressure. I called Nissan about bringing it in and they said they were booked full and to bring it the next morning. I went by the auto parts store and grabbed/added 2 quarts into the car since I live about 15-20 miles north of Anchorage. Took my car in the next day, they tell me they couldn't find any leaks or evidence of leaks on the outside of the engine anywhere, but added another quart and a half. So that means that in those 4k miles, the engine burned 3.5 quarts of oil. So they have me bring it back a few days later do a full oil change (for free, on them) and say drive 2k miles and bring it back. Due to scheduling issues, I brought it back around 2,400 miles later, it was about a quart and a half low after having added a quart due to another trip I took. So this go around it was 2.5 quarts low. However, he said the oil was still amber and clear...so no real evidence that it's burning either. They top it off and the master tech puts these temporary blue seals all over the place, says don't touch the dipstick, oil filler cap, don't even open the hood if possible, and tells me drive another 500 miles and bring it back. This go around I brought it back at about 1,300...again because of scheduling issues. This time it was about a quart low. Nissan still tells them this is "normal" and within industry standards. This last bring-in was this past Friday and he wasn't able to finish the conversation with Nissan corporate. So that's where I am now. The master tech said he doesn't buy them telling him that the oil burn is normal. He's supposed to be calling me back soon to talk to me about what he saw when he checked it out and what they told him.

I really like this car, but not sure what exactly to do. I'm at 65k miles now, so I've still got 35k left in the warranty, and none of this has cost me anything out of pocket. The dealership really does go out of their way to help me with some things, so I have 0 complaints with them at all, but with having some fairly significant issues this "early" on in the life of the vehicle, and some costly issues at that, I doubt it will make sense to keep it once the warranty has run out.

SO there's my current predicament. Several people have suggested piston rings...but I'm not incredible mechanical so I'm not sure. I'm just letting Nissan do their thing. Other than this, they assure me that the car is mechanically in great shape and I shouldn't be worried about it blowing up on me.

Last edited by jeansleeves; 05-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Ask your dealer to replace your PCV valve.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Man, that situation really stinks! My best advice is to be persistent. Burning 1 qt of oil every 1k miles is certainly not normal for these. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter View Post
Ask your dealer to replace your PCV valve.
I can definitely suggest that!

edit: I just googled pcv valve issues xterra and the first result that popped up perfectly describes these ongoing issues...
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Man, that situation really stinks! My best advice is to be persistent. Burning 1 qt of oil every 1k miles is certainly not normal for these. Good luck!
I agree haha....and so does the master tech. I've been about as persistent as my schedule allows. Everyone in the service department knows me by name at this point haha..."Oh hey Brad, what are you in for today?"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Thankfully my 2014 S has had none of that other than a Fuel/Air Ratio Sensor that went bad that I had to pay for. I've got a 100k CPO warranty.

My car prior to this was a 2013 WRX which one day had a rattle as I was on the interstate. They said "Must be a heat shield." Took the car in, the tech moved it 3 feet, got out and said "Your motor is shot." The Service department said that they'd call in a week after its fixed to let me know if its covered under warranty...no rental...have a nice day!

Spoke with a guy at my work who's son works for a Subaru dealership about it. He said he had three engines in crates waiting to be swapped out. He said it's a known issue but they tend to look for any reason to get out of the warranty.

Fast forward a week. Came in, they showed me the $10,000 bill (full engine and turbo swap) and said "Thankfully it is under warranty." (29,000 miles into a 60,000 warranty). I had done every oil change with them. I broke the engine in, and quickly traded it for the X.

Miss that car but not the scare.

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
Thankfully my 2014 S has had none of that other than a Fuel/Air Ratio Sensor that went bad that I had to pay for. I've got a 100k CPO warranty.

My car prior to this was a 2013 WRX which one day had a rattle as I was on the interstate. They said "Must be a heat shield." Took the car in, the tech moved it 3 feet, got out and said "Your motor is shot." The Service department said that they'd call in a week after its fixed to let me know if its covered under warranty...no rental...have a nice day!

Spoke with a guy at my work who's son works for a Subaru dealership about it. He said he had three engines in crates waiting to be swapped out. He said it's a known issue but they tend to look for any reason to get out of the warranty.

Fast forward a week. Came in, they showed me the $10,000 bill (full engine and turbo swap) and said "Thankfully it is under warranty." (29,000 miles into a 60,000 warranty). I had done every oil change with them. I broke the engine in, and quickly traded it for the X.

Miss that car but not the scare.
I really dislike paying people to do something that I can do myself for free/cheaper...aka oil changes. BUT...because of this bumper to bumper warranty, I've gotten every single oil change and piece of maintenance done at the dealership, just so they can't say "oh that happened because you did x, y, and z yourself." The service advisor has said that's probably a good idea haha...especially for situations like what I'm in right now.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak13pro4x View Post
I really dislike paying people to do something that I can do myself for free/cheaper...aka oil changes. BUT...because of this bumper to bumper warranty, I've gotten every single oil change and piece of maintenance done at the dealership, just so they can't say "oh that happened because you did x, y, and z yourself." The service advisor has said that's probably a good idea haha...especially for situations like what I'm in right now.
I do the same thing because of my experience with Subaru. At one point they called and said they couldn't find the records for a couple of oil changes, and requested all my documents. I told them I did them with their sister company (a Dodge dealership) across the parking lot. They said "well who told you to do that?" I said "You did, when I came in for my oil change."

Thankfully they found the records after that.

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 PM
2005 Xterra SE 5AT

That is ridiculous oil consumption but it reminded me if an article I read where they said

"Audi, BMW, and Subaru stick firmly to the statement that oil consumption is a normal part of a car’s operation. Subaru considers a quart burned every 1,000 to 1,200 miles to be acceptable. Certain Audi and BMW cars’ standards state that a quart burned every 600 to 700 miles is reasonable."

That is insane in my mind and my 05 at 225k miles burns nothing noticeable.
I assume nissan specs say the something similar. This is part of the uphill battle you will be fighting unless something else fails. Be diligent with oil checks and amounts added because if you run out of oil within that ridiculous spec and blow the motor that will likely void the warranty. I would hate to see you have to keep pumping oil into it for the next several years especially with how new it is. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:56 AM
2008 Xterra

Did they do a compression check? If the compression is good, that should rule out the rings. A PCV valve I thought was cheap to replace.
ZheKing likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode