Feels like Binding on Front Wheels at Full Lock in 4WD - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Xterra Off Road

Garage
Feels like Binding on Front Wheels at Full Lock in 4WD

Hey all. I just got an 07 Off Road auto with 119k miles in really good condition and a full service history. My other car is a MINI Cooper S, so trucks/SUVs are a new thing to me. I've got a ton of questions, but I'll keep it focused, ha.

I noticed the other day when I'm in 4HI, if I turn the wheels to near full lock (like I'm doing a U turn) the truck stop moving at idle speeds and I have to give it gas to keep going. Is this normal? It almost feels like the front end is binding. I don't have the problem in 2WD. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
sounds like you're doing this on pavement?

don't.

you'll break stuff. LOL

to directly answer you're question....if it *is* on pavement, yes, that's normal.
but....you'll break something driving/steering in 4HI (and 4LO) on pavement. Only engage 4WD when on dirt, gravel, snow, etc.
dr99, Brunnie, mtnbound and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-|-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Are you doing this on pavement? If so, yes, it is binding and no, you shouldn't be in 4wd in those conditions. The outside front wheel has to turn faster than the rear wheels and that's going to cause binding when the tire can't slip.
Brunnie likes this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I'll even get slight binding when I'm in 4WD on dirt, if I turn sharp enough. On pavement is a no-go, but you'll find out how good your front drivetrain will hold up to abuse.
Brunnie and mtnbound like this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

I came to the same realization when i first had my X, first 4x4 for me. it snowed one morning so i had it in 4hi on the way to work, after work i started divining home still in 4hi and noticed the binding( snow had melted). so yeah its normal, that means its actually working correctly.

lesson learned, only use 4x4 when there is weak or little traction otherwise there is too much grip.

alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed.

hope that helps!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
alittle further context: the 4x4 system "locks" the front axle, so that the driver pass wheels are connected, when you turn sharply the radius on the inside is smaller than the outside and causes the two front wheel to turn at different rates which causes the binding. essentially the insde wheel is trying to trun more than the radius will allow so it kinda gets pushed
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.

-|-

on Instagram

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
no no good sir....you are quite wrong in that ;-) that's what a Locker does. not 4x4.

all the 4x4 system does is directs power to the front drive axle, which in turn rotates the front tires under power. all 4 tires are now spinning under power, all at the same speeds. When the turn is being made, and that front outside tire can't turn faster due to 4x4 being engaged...that's what causes the binding.
This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.
JOSX2 likes this.

Last edited by CThoreal; 09-25-2018 at 03:43 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

Garage
i gotcha. well damn....i've had the wrong train of thought all these years LOL. Learn something new every day ;-)

Well...i was sorta close at least LOL

-|-

on Instagram

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:27 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThoreal View Post
This is technically wrong as well. With open diffs (without a locker), the inner and outer wheels, on the same axle, can still rotate at different speeds. However the rear wheels will "cut under" and make a sharper radius than the front wheels. This forces all 4 wheels to try and rotate at 4 different speeds. Directly causing the front and rear axles to try and rotate at different speeds in relation to each other. This difference between the front and rear axle speeds is what causes the binding.
Isn't that what I said?

J/K, you did a better job of explaining it than I would have.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 05:10 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSX2 View Post
thats why i put "lock" in quotes. its not technically locked as a "locker" would per say, but for the conversation it makes sense. to me at least..

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode