Updating Exhaust System and Wanting to Remove necessary Restrictions - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Updating Exhaust System and Wanting to Remove necessary Restrictions

I am looking to get the magnaflow 12580 muffler for my 2012 to remove the restrictions of the bad OEM exhaust design. Is it worth it to place high flow cats or no? I am unsure how restrictive our cats are, to tell the truth. Especially because my vehicle has 70K miles on it. I have read on here that some of those who replaced the cats threw codes and that is not fun. I have a tuner and the Volant CAI, so would i even still throw a code? i was going to take it to a shop to have everything put in as well. My end goal is to make the exhaust less restrictive that matter with the best gains without wasting cash for minor benefits, knowing that the system is only as good as the choke point. I do not plan changing the headers or anything crazy. Not too much of a car guy, and i am getting my car experience as i do things.

What are yalls thoughts and opinions?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

@JNR

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:26 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion262 View Post
I am looking to get the magnaflow 12580 muffler for my 2012 to remove the restrictions of the bad OEM exhaust design. Is it worth it to place high flow cats or no? I am unsure how restrictive our cats are, to tell the truth. Especially because my vehicle has 70K miles on it. I have read on here that some of those who replaced the cats threw codes and that is not fun. I have a tuner and the Volant CAI, so would i even still throw a code? i was going to take it to a shop to have everything put in as well. My end goal is to make the exhaust less restrictive that matter with the best gains without wasting cash for minor benefits, knowing that the system is only as good as the choke point. I do not plan changing the headers or anything crazy. Not too much of a car guy, and i am getting my car experience as i do things.

What are yalls thoughts and opinions?

thanks in advance.
Things I've gathered from other people's experiences:

If your cats are going replace them ASAP as they can break apart and lead to engine failure
Replacing the OEM y-pipe will yield the greatest (noticeable) gains
The Magnaflow 12580 allows a nice and easy way to go 2 into 1
All but OEM cats seem to go prematurely
Some people delete the secondary cats
OEM gaskets are the best if you do replace the cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion262 View Post
Is it worth it to place high flow cats or no?
IMO it is not worth it to replace anything on the exhaust.

Performance gains are unnoticeable and you introduce possible error codes. Not to mention you are spending hundreds of $$.

Your Xterra will do anything you ask of it with the stock exhaust.
dreamX, orion262, campisi and 1 others like this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
IMO it is not worth it to replace anything on the exhaust.

Performance gains are unnoticeable and you introduce possible error codes. Not to mention you are spending hundreds of $$.

Your Xterra will do anything you ask of it with the stock exhaust.
"Dont fix what aint broke"?

I think youd be fine doing the y-pipe and back, but unless the cats are in need of replacement i wouldnt mess with them.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road/Titan Swapped

Haven't been on here in forever but checked new posts and happen to see this thread. You WILL NOT throw any codes if you just leave the primary cats and factory 02 sensors. I've never seen it happen. The factory 02 sensors are right behind the primary cats. The Xterra comes with 4 cats total (2 primaries, 2 secondaries in-line). What I and a lot of others have done is just leave the primary cats and cut out the secondary cats. That along with removal of the factory pinched/crimped Y-pipe will for sure give you the increase in flow you are looking for. it's a really nice mellow rumble too, not over the top. I have my whole setup somewhere in my build thread. i will go find it and post it here.

I ran threw countless set ups and ended up going completely back to factory under the hood including the air intake. Threw the factory headers back on and trashed the underwhelming Doug Thorley's which were covered in surface rust and leaking within a year and a half. From there i just picked up the Dynomax catback system in the $200-240 range IIRC, cut the factory exhaust off right after the 02 sensors, and had a buddy weld up the Dynomax system. Haven't looked back since. Don't hold me to it but a few minutes ago i just checked out XterraPA's build thread and it looked like he has done the same thing. I'll go grab a link and part #s and post them up here.

GuerrillaXT

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road/Titan Swapped

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/50-mem...ml#post2022578

page 21 post # 203 of my build thread. I ended up doing the entire exhaust over and just replacing the primary cats with an aftermarket set from Eastern Catalytic. The exhaust system was a Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Cat Back system. I actually can't find a part number but there are a few different sites that carry it i believe.

GuerrillaXT

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Y pipe is definitely the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Realistically replacing any part of the exhaust for "gains" isn't going to net you a as large of a number as you think unfortunately. Our motors just don't really respond that well to it.

So if you are doing it merely to get gains it wouldn't be worth what you're trading in convenience IMO. Most of the people on here go with some sort of aftermarket system after our cats bite the dust and start throwing codes. I replaced my whole exhaust system, headers back with DT Shorties, B Pipes to replace the secondaries and the Dynomax Catback system. I hate it. The dynomax system is garbage, fine for the $250.00 dollars to get you out of a pinch to pass emissions, but that's about all its worth. The Y-Pipe is junk, the steel is junk, the whole system made it 2 years and then it rusted out. High flow and a crappy muffler made it sound like a crappy car, too raspy. The B-Pipes are okay, but they throw codes all the time that need to be reset because the O2 sensors don't like them. My DT Shorties are holding up pretty well. All said and done, if it keeps throwing codes on the B pipes I am going to do another round of replacing the primaries again (65k on them), putting secondary cats back in, and taking it to a custom shop to run a true stainless 2 in 1 out exhaust with clamps in case it needs to be taken apart on the trail for any reason.

So, all that being said, spend your money elsewhere if you're looking for just gains. If you are wanting to get in front of your cats failing (mine made it to 90k), you want an aftermarket sound, go for it. But don't do it solely for gains, you'll be disappointed.

Click Here for >
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
AFE manufacturers a very nice exhaust system for the Nissan Xterra.
The AFE Mach Force XP offers features such as 2-1/2" to 3” mandrel-bent 409 stainless steel tubing, free-flowing stainless steel muffler, OE style bayonet hangers, band clamps and all the hardware necessary for a hassle-free installation.

To be clear this is a catback exhaust which is designed without a Y pipe.

With this being said, I'm sure your wondering "How much power will I gain?"
From AFE: This system produced a max gain of +5 horsepower and +6 lbs. x ft. torque verified by our in house dyno.

My question " Is it worth the $697.00 msrp for you to gain 5hp over the factory rating?"
Clearly, our factory exhaust, which includes the dented Y pipe is not as restrictive as many may assume.
If the Xterra had a restricted exhaust, we would have seen more than a 5hp gain from an exhaust upgrade such as this.

https://afepower.com/xterra

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 08-28-2018 at 06:21 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter View Post
AFE manufacturers a very nice exhaust system for the Nissan Xterra.
The AFE Mach Force XP offers features such as 2-1/2" to 3” mandrel-bent 409 stainless steel tubing, free-flowing stainless steel muffler, OE style bayonet hangers, band clamps and all the hardware necessary for a hassle-free installation.

To be clear this is a catback exhaust which is designed without a Y pipe.

With this being said, I'm sure your wondering "How much power will I gain?"
From AFE: This system produced a max gain of +5 horsepower and +6 lbs. x ft. torque verified by our in house dyno.

My question " Is it worth the $697.00 msrp for you to gain 5hp over the factory rating?"
Clearly, our factory exhaust, which includes the dented Y pipe is not as restrictive as many may assume.
If the Xterra had a restricted exhaust, we would have seen more than a 5hp gain from an exhaust upgrade such as this.

https://afepower.com/xterra
But you are leaving out a couple things. The AFE exhaust is stainless, that commands a higher price. The OEM exhaust will rot out in a few years. Mine is a 2015 and if it were to develop an exhaust leak I wouldn't be surprised given how ugly it looks. The exhaust is easily found online for around $550 and free shipping within the US. If you buy during an ebay sale you can get it for 15-20% lower. Second, although the direct gains are not great it does change the torque curve providing a bit more low end umph which is noticeable.

Last edited by PhullD; 08-29-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode