Axle Upgrade from C200 to M226 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By unixmandt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
2005 Red Brawn Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Axle Upgrade from C200 to M226

I know this has been talked about a lot and I have a pretty good idea of how this would work and that I have to match the front and rear gear ratios if I upgrade. The specific question that I have is whether there are any issues with putting a 2014 Pro4X Axle on a 2005 S model. When I view a compatibility matrix provided by several sellers on eBay, they show the 2014 Pro4X axle is only compatible with model year 2007 forward. What does the brain trust say? Is this true, or would I be able to put the 2014 Pro4X axle on a 2005 S (assuming I also upgrade the front axle to match the gearing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

You can do it. You might need a different driveshaft or pinion flange. Ie you might have a 4 bolt DS now and new axle might be 6 bolt DS. Make sure it comes with the ABS sensors. They are pricey to buy new.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Xterra S

I just did this and am pretty happy with it..the only thing the I made sure is the bolts on the drive shaft. Some got 4 and other have 6 and also to include the length of drive shaft. I have an automatic and took the 3.69 gear ratio from manual pro4x, i used the drive shaft from auto pro4 x. Also make sure the the abs sensor are in place just as mentioned. So far so good..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good tip about the ABS sensors. I had read the old ones could not be swapped over since they were not compatible. Regarding the DS. My pinon flange is 6 bolts. Aside from the bolt count is there anything else that would require me to swap out the DS, or will I be able to re-use it?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Depends on how much lift you have. The c200k DS is about 1.25” longer than the m226 DS. I ran the c200k ds with my m226 for a long time without any issues and I had about 3” rear lift. Any less might not work.

The safest bet is to pick up a low mileage used m226 DS.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Last year I outfitted my X with OME front and rear springs. The back is OME CS061R which is supposed to give 1.5" - 2" of lift. If the c200k DS is too long, how would I know? Would it simply not fit? Or would it fit, but cause some other problem? What would the symptoms be to watch out for?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
2008 Night Armour ❌terra X

Garage
You can get a replacement pinion flange at any good drive shaft shop. I did the M226 swap, but the axle came out of a frontier, and had to cut off and weld new spring perches on (axle under versus axle over). The advantage was I was able to get the drive shaft aligned with the diff so no shims were necessary. The disadvantage was, it cost more to have that work done.

PRG Advanced lift, HeftyFab Sliders
InSain Fab Front Plate Winch Bumper
InSain Fab Rear Bumper with swing arm tire carrier
Dephep drop-in roof rack
40 inch LED light bar, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Senior Member / (NORAC) Club Moderator
2008 Night Armour ❌terra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytawn View Post
Last year I outfitted my X with OME front and rear springs. The back is OME CS061R which is supposed to give 1.5" - 2" of lift. If the c200k DS is too long, how would I know? Would it simply not fit? Or would it fit, but cause some other problem? What would the symptoms be to watch out for?
The problem is the M226 pinion sticks out a couple of inches more than the C200k. You probably have enough room in the part of the driveshaft that slides within itself. Mine was OK when I installed a M226.
TurboChris likes this.

PRG Advanced lift, HeftyFab Sliders
InSain Fab Front Plate Winch Bumper
InSain Fab Rear Bumper with swing arm tire carrier
Dephep drop-in roof rack
40 inch LED light bar, Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode