Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

No cats? You will get those codes, as the up and downstream O2's are reading the same value...ECU thinks the cat is not fuctioning (cleaning) properly, so yeah without them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra OR 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
No cats? You will get those codes, as the up and downstream O2's are reading the same value...ECU thinks the cat is not fuctioning (cleaning) properly, so yeah without them...
Shouldn't cause a misfire code though. Right?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothere View Post
Shouldn't cause a misfire code though. Right?
no, it will throw the p0420/p0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold codes.

Your x will only throw misfire codes if it is only misfiring. P0300 - P0306 as already mentioned.

here is the list of codes
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...-ii-codes.html

pictures of your headers would be helpful to let you know if they are long tubes or not. If short tubes and you have 4 cats, and are throwing those codes, you need to replace the cats ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra OR 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
no, it will throw the p0420/p0430 catalyst efficiency below threshold codes.

Your x will only throw misfire codes if it is only misfiring. P0300 - P0306 as already mentioned.

here is the list of codes
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/11-pow...-ii-codes.html

pictures of your headers would be helpful to let you know if they are long tubes or not. If short tubes and you have 4 cats, and are throwing those codes, you need to replace the cats ASAP.
I'll post a picture later.

I am very familiar with what cats looks like and I'm very positive I don't have any.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
JNR
Veteran

FWIW - I have LT headers (DT) and magnaflow high flow cats and do not get any codes. Only time I did is when one of the O2 sensors touched the heatshield and blew the fuse. However, NONE of those several codes were the 0420 (driver) or 430 (pass)...after I replaced the fuse and reset from reader, they went away. I know this isn't what you are getting, just mentioning that in the last 3 years or so, never had a cat code running this setup.
Gothere likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra OR 6MT

Quote:
FWIW - I have LT headers (DT) and magnaflow high flow cats and do not get any codes. Only time I did is when one of the O2 sensors touched the heatshield and blew the fuse. However, NONE of those several codes were the 0420 (driver) or 430 (pass)...after I replaced the fuse and reset from reader, they went away. I know this isn't what you are getting, just mentioning that in the last 3 years or so, never had a cat code running this setup.
I think I will get some performance cats at some point. Thanks for the info! Do your LT hang down just about even with the frame rails?

How many cats did you add? 1 or two?

Last edited by Gothere; 08-01-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Added question.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
JNR
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothere View Post
I think I will get some performance cats at some point. Thanks for the info! Do your LT hang down just about even with the frame rails?

How many cats did you add? 1 or two?
They go about down to framerails, yeah. However, they really need to call them "medium (length) tubes" IMO, as the primaries really aren't that long...when I think of LT, it means say 32" to 36" long.

I'm only running 1 cat per side, 2 1/2" tube (pipe) dia each...

My headers are ceramic coated, but even so, try to install cats as close to header collector flange, as physically possible. Reason being is that the operational efficiency is based on exhaust heat...this will help you not get a code also.
Gothere likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra OR 6MT

Which cats did you use?
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
2008 Xterra OR 6MT

Quote:
They go about down to framerails, yeah. However, they really need to call them "medium (length) tubes" IMO, as the primaries really aren't that long...when I think of LT, it means say 32" to 36" long.

I'm only running 1 cat per side, 2 1/2" tube (pipe) dia each...

My headers are ceramic coated, but even so, try to install cats as close to header collector flange, as physically possible. Reason being is that the operational efficiency is based on exhaust heat...this will help you not get a code also.
I'm bringing this thread back up, because starting a new one is unnecessary.

I found some Apex Precision MFG secondary cats, with an O2 hole for $145 on ebay. They seem like they would do the job, and my question is with only one cat per side, should I get a code? My hope is no, and it looks like I may be in the clear based on the comments above.

Also, what brand on your cats JNR?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/05-10-Xterr....c100667.m2042
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:15 PM
JNR
Veteran

I have magnaflow cats, 2 1/2" which I bought on sale at Pep Boys for like 80/ea IIRC.

Have not had any codes, although the only issue is one of the heatshields came loose and caused a rattle...it was more of the installer issue IMO but they are not attached real well to begin with IIRC (spot welded)...been awhile since I looked at them though...fixed it with a hose clamp for temp, works fine like that though to keep it quiet.
Gothere likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode