Can I use this Rear End?? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkymtngirl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra OR

Can I use this Rear End??

Hello,

I have had a hard time finding a suitable rear axle for my 05 OR. I ordered one from a salvage yard and prior to picking it up, they sent me this pics and stated it "got a little condensation in it during transport" (which was only 2 days). I have a bad feeling about this rear end, but need to get my truck rolling again. A friend told me I could clean this one up and use it, but another friend said it is sure to fail and advised me not to pick it up. I know nothing about differentials and was hoping somebody could help me understand what these pics show !! I have to decide by Monday.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0526.JPG (243.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.JPG (200.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.JPG (200.0 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Wait... is that a bunch of sand/dirt in it??

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 07-27-2018 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I would pass on that one.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
I would pass on that one.
What he said.

If you are on FB and in Colorado, especially the Denver metro area, look up the NORAC group and get some help from them. I know of at least 3 '05+ Xterras in local salvage yards.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran
2006 Granite Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
What he said.

If you are on FB and in Colorado, especially the Denver metro area, look up the NORAC group and get some help from them. I know of at least 3 '05+ Xterras in local salvage yards.
I'm down in Knoxville area now but headed back west this fall. I know that doesnt really help at the moment but I am Titan swapping my rig in a couple months. O6 Offroad with an new 09 rear M226 that was replaced by dealership under warranty. I'd pass on this one for sure. Whoever needs one at the time will get a good deal on mine Good luck in your search.

The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
@DaveN just listed his 3.69 m226 and r180 for sale also.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra OR

Wow, you guys are awesome ! Thanks for your input. I have had a hard time finding the M226 with the 3.36 ratio and locking diff for the OR model, so I was going to attempt to use this one. Its all rusted and pitted, but I didn't really know how much of that can be cleaned up. I am obviously new to this forum and not sure how to reply individually, but, yes....I am in CO and will check out the NORAC group. Sheller....I might be able to wait until the fall if nothing else pops up. Does yours have the 3.36 then ?
Brunnie likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra OR

Thanks for your advice. Is yours the 3.36 ? The fall is right around the corner, lol. Might be worth waiting for yours !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymtngirl View Post
Thanks for your advice. Is yours the 3.36 ? The fall is right around the corner, lol. Might be worth waiting for yours !
Hello.

As Josh said my front and rear diffs are for sale here. I'm in SLC and plan on doing the work at Nisstec in Denver, so this could work out best for the both of us. Looking to make it happen in about 4 weeks. PM me for my number if you want to talk about it more.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode