Help on O2 Sensor Readings - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmark View Post
If you live here in California they have us by the **** man
What would happen if you were on vacation, out of state, and the cats went out and you had them replaced at a local shop where you were?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Best case you get a lax smog guy who just looks to see if they are there.

Worst you get a guy who takes it serious and you buy two sets of cats to pass smog.

Thatís not withstanding the seemingly lower span of life from the aftermarket offerings. Like a lot of things on our truck oem just seems to be he best choice. Iím all for the economical route. Post your experiences in the aftermarket cat thread for the data collection and collective betterment of us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brunnie likes this.

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon. -Cole Kehm
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 AM
2005 Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnchen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
This. They cost more but most of the aftermarket ones are so hit or miss with quality they still throw a code. At least with OEM you can replace it and be done.
Thanks for the feedback.

The dealer cats are 800 + core = $1000

Online is was <$400. I am going to do some research. $600 savings is a lot.
As an alternative, Magnaflow makes California legal bolt on converters for about half the cost of OEM. I installed a set 3 months ago on the Frontier. Did have to buy new ring gaskets for the flanges and bend the manifold heat shields a little bit so they would clear the O2 bungs. Apart from that they work fine and passed CA smog no problem.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra Pro 4X

Garage
So I guess my question is what is actually happening here? My 06 that I just gutted the cats on and used spacers for the downstream o2s also has a steady upstream .3 and .6 volt readout which seems to be hybrid/anomaly of some sort that other xterra, frontier and pathfinder owners have reported also having. All I have ever seen is either the standard switching .1-.8 volt o2 or the newer wide bands which use a much higher voltage or display on mA I believe. I know using he same obd2 scanner between my two xterra shows my 06 to have the steady .3/.6 but my ‘11 pro4x shows that it is using a/f widebands. So why is it that our x’s do this? Technically the average of those two numbers is .45 volts which is what they say upstream should average out to but that is when they are switching. It’s supposed to be an average for the bank, not an average between the banks. This also made me question my understanding of what triggered a p0420/30. I thought the ecu was looking for a minimum difference between the upstream average and the downstream constant. Meaning it was increasing the amount of o2 in the downstream by a specific percent. Which would mean the downstream would fluctuate too but once I learned downstreams are supposed to be steady to indicate a working cat it makes me think that it looks for a certain target downstream rate meaning no matter what goes in a specific mixture comes out. Even if the downstream volts are higher than the upstreams, which is the case of the .3volt upstream bank. I am getting both p0420/30 codes even with the spacers and my values up and down match each other which makes sense as the spacer still allows full access of the exhaust gasses to the sensor tip. So the spacers really do nothing. Someone please help me understand all this as the upstream values and what triggers the p0420/30 has now got me all tirned around.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra Pro 4X

Garage
Anyone have any additional insight? Would love to hear from those more in the know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskizzle7 View Post
So I guess my question is what is actually happening here? My 06 that I just gutted the cats on and used spacers for the downstream o2s also has a steady upstream .3 and .6 volt readout which seems to be hybrid/anomaly of some sort that other xterra, frontier and pathfinder owners have reported also having. All I have ever seen is either the standard switching .1-.8 volt o2 or the newer wide bands which use a much higher voltage or display on mA I believe. I know using he same obd2 scanner between my two xterra shows my 06 to have the steady .3/.6 but my ‘11 pro4x shows that it is using a/f widebands. So why is it that our x’s do this? Technically the average of those two numbers is .45 volts which is what they say upstream should average out to but that is when they are switching. It’s supposed to be an average for the bank, not an average between the banks. This also made me question my understanding of what triggered a p0420/30. I thought the ecu was looking for a minimum difference between the upstream average and the downstream constant. Meaning it was increasing the amount of o2 in the downstream by a specific percent. Which would mean the downstream would fluctuate too but once I learned downstreams are supposed to be steady to indicate a working cat it makes me think that it looks for a certain target downstream rate meaning no matter what goes in a specific mixture comes out. Even if the downstream volts are higher than the upstreams, which is the case of the .3volt upstream bank. I am getting both p0420/30 codes even with the spacers and my values up and down match each other which makes sense as the spacer still allows full access of the exhaust gasses to the sensor tip. So the spacers really do nothing. Someone please help me understand all this as the upstream values and what triggers the p0420/30 has now got me all tirned around.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:28 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Solar Yellow Xterra 4x4 6MT

Garage
This is where I got my CA compliant cats, Rockauto.com, 11/29/2018:

WALKER 31576 Pipe Flange Gasket / Seal $ 1.92 $ 0.00 2 $ 3.84 (Header to CAT gasket, bought two to have a spare)
WALKER 31540 Pipe Flange Gasket / Seal $ 1.30 $ 0.00 1 $ 1.30 (Already had two, bought another for a spare)
2006 NISSAN XTERRA 4.0L V6
Left (Driver) side cats and sensors: Looks like the links just take you to the generic page. They are on it.
BOSCH 17204 Oxygen (O2) Sensor $ 77.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 77.89 http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1433009&parttype=5132
BOSCH 16513 Oxygen (O2) Sensor $ 72.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 72.79 http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1433009&parttype=5132
WALKER 83698 Catalytic Converter $ 246.99 $ 0.00 1 $ 246.99 http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1433009&parttype=5808
WALKER 83892 Catalytic Converter $ 255.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 255.79 http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1433009&parttype=5808
Shipping Ground $ 11.99
Order Total $ 670.59

If doing the job yourself put a high temp sealant/gasket maker on the gasket between the two cats. I had to pull my second cat off and put it on as either the gasket is to flimsy or the pressure to great for the gasket and destroyed the gasket. Good thing I bought a spare. I was getting a Air/fuel code after clearing the CAT code.

Last edited by fudozen; 12-11-2018 at 07:33 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:00 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra Pro 4X

Garage
Just trying to bump this question I had forgotten I posted. Hoping to pick the brains of the community here.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:24 PM
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

HI! do you happened to know the part # for the cats from magna flow that you bought. And other parts I should need. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExciteBike View Post
As an alternative, Magnaflow makes California legal bolt on converters for about half the cost of OEM. I installed a set 3 months ago on the Frontier. Did have to buy new ring gaskets for the flanges and bend the manifold heat shields a little bit so they would clear the O2 bungs. Apart from that they work fine and passed CA smog no problem.
HI! do you happened to know the part # for the cats from magna flow that you bought. And other parts I should need. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode