Can you Guys Confirm that my Cats are Dead? Also, Longtube Suggestions - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Can you Guys Confirm that my Cats are Dead? Also, Longtube Suggestions

Iím reasonably sure I do, just want a second opinion before I pull the trigger on longtubes.

Iíve only owned my 05 Xterra (automatic, 4x4, 130k miles) for a month or so, and the check engine light has always been on. It ran fine, and Iím a mechanic and car dealer so Iím generally not super worried about a check engine light.

This weekend I went on a little weekend getaway, around 200 miles from home. On the way there, it seemed to be having a little trouble going up hills, I just took it easy and slowed down a bit. It was loaded with 5 people + luggage and around 95 degrees outside, but it still kinda made me a little concerned.

Once we arrived, it did fine around town. On the way back I stopped and topped it off with gas, then got on the interstate. The very first time I go up a hill, I get a flashing check engine light. Now Iím concerned. Itís definitely feeling down on power and Iím concerned I have a partially clogged cat. I notice it only does it under heavy load or high engine speeds, so I jump off the interstate and take a smaller two lane highway back. Itís fine at 55mph, so I just donít push it at all.

I get back home and find my little Bluetooth OBDII scanner. I have P0420 and P0430 which I have always had, but now I also have a P0300 random misfire and a P1446 evap code that is probably not related, but I figure I should mention it anyway.

Iím thinking I have one or more clogged cats causing the misfire, lack of power, and also I got 17.4mpg on the highway, which seems a little low, but again this car is new to me. Do you guys think I have clogged/broken primary cats?

If so, is there any reason not to just go longtubes? There is no emission testing where I live and the price seems similar to quality replacement cats, and I might even see some extra power. I can install either cats or longtubes myself, I have a lift.

If you guys suggest longtubes, are the Doug Thorley longtubes still the way to go? Theyíre on sale for $479 here: (link removed because Iím a noob, it was prerunnerparts dot com) a vendor I found searching old threads here. Is this still the way to go?

I think that does it for my novel of a first post on this forum, thanks in advance guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
They are the only ones available.

If you drive it to the point of cats being clogged enough to set the p0300 misfire codes, you better be checking your oil. If either of those cats broke up it probably blew your engine.

I had this happen about 3 weeks ago, but I didn't have any codes ahead of time. Over about 5 miles my cats went from fine to broken up, p0300, and a blown engine. No warning signs at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
ĒYou are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.Ē

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Engine is fine. No noise, no smoke, nothing in the oil. I think theyíre partially clogged and causing issues only at high load, but Iím definitely not going to keep driving it, Iíll drive one of my other cars while I wait on my headers.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S 4x4

Garage
17.4 mpg gives me envy.

However, I'm sure you're due for cats.
mtnbound likes this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:16 AM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

I just did the long tubes. Little better power. The install will take a bit.

Getting almost 19 mpg total now, mostly highway driving though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
It sounds like a clog to me. The EVAP probably isn't related directly but that should be next on the to-fix list.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoder27 View Post
I just did the long tubes. Little better power. The install will take a bit.

Getting almost 19 mpg total now, mostly highway driving though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Any issues with them or reasons you would just do cats over the longtubes?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
It sounds like a clog to me. The EVAP probably isn't related directly but that should be next on the to-fix list.
Yeah I agree. I don't think the EVAP is causing the misfire but I've already been looking up cleaning/replacement threads on it.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Also, I cleared the codes and drove it to work today just taking it easy, hoping that the P0300 code would come back as a P030X code and actually be a coil pack, but no luck. The O2 codes didn't come back but that's likely just because it wasn't a long enough drive cycle. The only code that came back during my drive was P0300 and the check engine light was flashing the one time I tried to go over about 10% throttle. It's looking to me like the cats are toast, any other thoughts before I order the longtubes and switch my tag over to another car to drive today? lol
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:43 AM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
Any issues with them or reasons you would just do cats over the longtubes?
Nope. Sounds better, especially with a CAI. Don't ever have to worry about the primary cats again.

But my reasoning was the driver's side OEM manifold failed on me, broke at the flange weld. Has heppen to other here as well. Figure for about $500 I replaced 2 cats and 2 OEM manifolds.

Now I have 2 primary cats in good condition that I don't know what to do with them...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode