Can you Guys Confirm that my Cats are Dead? Also, Longtube Suggestions - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyoder27 View Post
Nope. Sounds better, especially with a CAI. Don't ever have to worry about the primary cats again.

But my reasoning was the driver's side OEM manifold failed on me, broke at the flange weld. Has heppen to other here as well. Figure for about $500 I replaced 2 cats and 2 OEM manifolds.

Now I have 2 primary cats in good condition that I don't know what to do with them...
I'm sure someone on here needs them, lol.

I'm kinda leaning toward the longtubes though and I will never have to deal with it again. I'm definitely not paying in excess of $1k for factory cats, and I'm afraid of wasting $400 on aftermarket cats just to have them go out again.

Any obnoxious exhaust smells with the longtubes and no primary cats? That's basically the only thing I'm torn about. I have a toddler and I don't want my car choking her, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Well RockAuto has a good deal on the Eastern Cats which have really good reviews in the cat replacement thread, so I ordered those along with a 5% discount I had for slightly over $300 shipped for both. I'll report back when I throw them on later this week. Now I'm going to go start spraying converter bolts with PB Blaster.
mtnbound and TerryD like this.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

I think my pass is going out, repalced driver a few(6 months ago) and although it drive and engine runs fine i think i can hear a rattle coming out of the pass cat, could be a heat shield but i haven't been able to find it. I will probably go with an eastern cat like Mzsigler becuase i have emissions testing and cant afford another factory one. the driver side alone was over$1k with parts/ labor.

Im just fretting over the bolts. my truck doesnt even have alot of rust but time must have taken its toll as i continuously run into seized bolts that love to strip their nuts... that sounds dirty!

can anyone confirm a cat making a rattle sound but throwing no codes?

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
I think my pass is going out, repalced driver a few(6 months ago) and although it drive and engine runs fine i think i can hear a rattle coming out of the pass cat, could be a heat shield but i haven't been able to find it. I will probably go with an eastern cat like Mzsigler becuase i have emissions testing and cant afford another factory one. the driver side alone was over$1k with parts/ labor.

Im just fretting over the bolts. my truck doesnt even have alot of rust but time must have taken its toll as i continuously run into seized bolts that love to strip their nuts... that sounds dirty!

can anyone confirm a cat making a rattle sound but throwing no codes?
A rattle but no codes might just be the heat shield, you can try tightening the bolts or you can try removing the heat shield to see if it goes away, then try to put them back on in a way that doesn't rattle, maybe with some washers or something.

You can also do what I'm doing and start spraying the crap out of your bolts with PB Blaster every day a few days in advance. That generally helps.
mtnbound likes this.

Last edited by mzsigler; 06-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

mzsigler likes this.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzsigler View Post
Well RockAuto has a good deal on the Eastern Cats which have really good reviews in the cat replacement thread, so I ordered those along with a 5% discount I had for slightly over $300 shipped for both. I'll report back when I throw them on later this week. Now I'm going to go start spraying converter bolts with PB Blaster.
I went with Magnaflow and the fitment wasn't exactly what I would expect from $600 worth of parts. If I had it to do again I would probably go with Eastern but I would seriously consider going back with OE. You might swap your oxygen sensors while you're there. If they are on the way out, they can cause conditions that will murder the cats.

You might also want to just gut the factory ones and drive it a bit before swapping just in case your dead cats damaged your rear cylinders like @jsexton had happen.
jsexton and mzsigler like this.

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
. . . You might swap your oxygen sensors while you're there. If they are on the way out, they can cause conditions that will murder the cats. . . .
TerryD likes this.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
Cats are taking over the interwebs again. Next thing you know, the cheeseburger begging will begin....

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage

- J.J. Watt
ĒYou are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.Ē

and
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
I went with Magnaflow and the fitment wasn't exactly what I would expect from $600 worth of parts. If I had it to do again I would probably go with Eastern but I would seriously consider going back with OE. You might swap your oxygen sensors while you're there. If they are on the way out, they can cause conditions that will murder the cats.

You might also want to just gut the factory ones and drive it a bit before swapping just in case your dead cats damaged your rear cylinders like @jsexton had happen.
Iím honestly considering just gutting the rears while Iím in there. I plan on checking the condition of the O2ís when i do the cats and then doing them if they look like they need it. They seemed to be behaving fine on the scantool though. Either way itís not a big deal, I have a lift so getting to them is pretty easy if I do decide to do them in a couple of weeks.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode