Wrangler JK D44 Ring and Pinion on a Nissan M226 - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Night Armor Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerX View Post
Hey Iceman1729, do you remember or did the mechanic state the total shim thickness they put on the pinion when they did the rebuild?

Ohh. Actually, I donít know. I will ask the guy but itís highly unlikely that he will remember it. This guy does set differentials all day. But Ill ask him.

I just gave him the r&p, m226 and master install kit from American driveline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
Based on the markings, the ring and pinion in the photos is indeed a 4.11 "thick" gear set for a JK Rubicon Dana 44 with factory locker.* The gears were manufactured by Circle K, a Korean company with a good reputation, and most likely sourced from Revolution Gear & Axle. RG&A was founded by former employees of now defunct Superior Axle and sells direct and through offroad shops.

I recently installed RG&A/Circle K 5.38 gears in my '06 Jeep LJ Rubicon. (RG&A/Circle K is the only source for 5.38 gears for the Dana 44 TJ/LJ Rubicon axles.) They are high quality gears.

See: https://revolutiongear.com/shop/rev/...n-d44d44-koyo/

Adapting JK Rubicon gears to the Nissan variant of the Dana 44 is indeed possible, but it will require someone with experience, patience (and spacers). However, before going down that road you would be well advised to consult with Steve at Rugged Rocks, who is the Nissan Xterra/Frontier gear expert.

See: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissa...c-42_1320.html

* The "thick" gears are necessary in the TJ/LJ and JK Rubicons due to the factory locker. Gear sets for open differentials have a thinner ring gear and typically require a change of carriers to properly locate the ring gear when going deeper than 3.73:1. Note also that TJ/LJ Rubicon and JK Rubicon gear sets are not interchangeable.

Bro, thatís a lot of cool information. The diff is loaded and Ive already gone for 5-6 trail runs. And it is running smooth. Looks like I gave the diff to safe hands for regearing.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran
2005 Desert Stone Xterra S

I can confirm that my 4.56 R&P have JK part # as well
iceman1729 likes this.

> My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just imagine how stupid the average person is, then cringe at the thought that half the people are even stupider than that"

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerX View Post
Hey Iceman1729, do you remember or did the mechanic state the total shim thickness they put on the pinion when they did the rebuild?

Stryker,

Sorry. The mechanic doesnít remember the numbers.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:11 AM
Noobie

Actually jk44 gears will fit I have 5.13s in mine under my toyota. Rugged rocks off road sells a shim to shim the ring over to the pinion. It's a 1/4 think. I have the template and ill be making the shim. I have a vortec 5.7 sm465 and 208 t case. I'm mean to it and I have had no failure.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode