VK56 Swap with Factory 6MT Adapter Plate - Collins Adapters - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Veteran
2011 Metallic Green Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Since they're using the Xterra transmission are they using the Xterra clutch?

(Sorry if this had been answered somewhere else, I'm not read up on this)
Driven Desire stated the oem clutch is maintained. So realistically an aftermarket clutch would be a smart upgrade. Like a Centerforce or similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
How do you use it? You take it to the drag strip?
LOL!

ALso, I'd be more interested into making the ISV work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbatrossCafe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThoreal View Post
For me, a V8 would turn the X into the perfect rig for how I use it.
How do you use it? You take it to the drag strip?
lol no drag strip yet, but I'd sure give it a go with a v8.

I tow a camp trailer and utility trailer fairly regularly. That coupled with living in the mtns and climbing hills almost anywhere I go leaves something to be desired with a manual. I'm also not gonna lie I just want a v8 again.

Also, Id love to run 35s but cant take the hit on power without regearing. Id rather put that money towards a v8 swap and be able to run 35s with current gears. From what Ive gathered so far the titans run a couple hundred RPMs less at speed than my rig does. So I should be able to stay with my gears, go up to 35s and be sittin pretty good ratio wise. I still need to do some more research though.

Last edited by CThoreal; 11-15-2017 at 06:16 PM.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro4X

Quote:
Since they're using the Xterra transmission are they using the Xterra clutch?

(Sorry if this had been answered somewhere else, I'm not read up on this)
The XTerra 6MT is quite robust.
How do I know?
Its same as on 350Z and back in the day lots of guys had 400 hp thru those on stock clutch, 500 hp with Nismo clutch (or exedy etc etc). Some guys had 700 hp (550-600 lb ft of tourque) on stock tranny w/ upgraded clutch...Never any problems.

I ran a stock clutch for a while with a 490 hp set up and it just started to slip a bit at full throttle but worked quite well mostly.
No problems on stock clutch with a 390 hp setup in the Z (of course that was "only" 350 lbs ft of tourque or so.
A Nismo clutch worked 100% at 500 hp

2011 Pro4X, NightArmor, w/2015 Pro4X wheels

Every day.. Men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?

Last edited by bluez; 11-15-2017 at 06:23 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
How do I know?
Its same as on 350Z and back in the day lots of guys had 400 hp thru those on stock clutch, 500 hp with Nismo clutch (or exedy etc etc). Never any problems.

I ran a stock clutch for a while with a 490 hp set up and it just started to slip a bit at full throttle but worked quite well mostly.
No problems on stock clutch with a 390 hp setup in the Z (of course that was "only" 350 lbs ft of tourque or so.
A Nismo clutch worked 100% at 500 hp
It isn't the tranny I was thinking about, it's the clutch. With people having them go out in 30k with 265 hp I wondered how it's going to fair with the V8.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra Pro4X

Quote:
It isn't the tranny I was thinking about, it's the clutch. With people having them go out in 30k with 265 hp I wondered how it's going to fair with the V8.
There is a huge availability of upgraded clutches for this transmission sine the Z community has been doing so much turbo charging/supercharging with this exact Nissan 6MT.

Nissan 350Z/370Z Clutch Kits : 350z Upgrades

https://www.nissanautosports.com/nis...c-193-prd1.htm

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ubmodel/NISMO/
Longboardr likes this.

2011 Pro4X, NightArmor, w/2015 Pro4X wheels

Every day.. Men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra OR 6MT

Quote:
A lot of people can drive them right and get well over 100k out of a clutch as well. I just checked my clutch at 100k and if I keep driving it the same way it will last until 300-400k. I do tow a lot as well. Boat trailer and boat ramp as part of it. Those numbers are miles, not kilometers. Yes a stock clutch can be smoked in quick order, but it can also last a very long time as well.
ZheKing likes this.

Was I the only one who was sobor and paying attention in college?
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
How do I know?
Its same as on 350Z
I pointed this out months ago when someone was asking about clutch upgrade options and recommended they check some Z places and I guess none of the MT guys ever took initiative to make any calls or check.

Same model, obviously gear ratios are different. I wouldn't say the FS6R31A is "robust". Probably robust enough for the Xterra, but pretty weak once you start talking street car HP. I seriously doubt a stock clutch would hold over 400 wheel horse power.

Personally, I like the RS5R30A better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by early 2010 View Post
A lot of people can drive them right and get well over 100k out of a clutch as well. I just checked my clutch at 100k and if I keep driving it the same way it will last until 300-400k. I do tow a lot as well. Boat trailer and boat ramp as part of it. Those numbers are miles, not kilometers. Yes a stock clutch can be smoked in quick order, but it can also last a very long time as well.
^^this.

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Garage
I feel it would be wise, but not entirely necessary, to upgrade the clutch when doing this swap. Especially since everything would be apart anyways. I also want to state that this is pure opinin based on my own driving habits.

If you've got a heavy right foot, tow often or wheel hard - upgrade the clutch for the V8.

If you've got a light right foot, dont race around and dont wheel hard - can probably make a stock clutch work.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
I love these threads I always read
Them as I have a MT and the info is scattered around. Thanks to all who contribute! I get less and less nervous about my clutch by the thread and more confidant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon. -Cole Kehm

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode