SOLVED: Stuck in 4LO with 4WD Light - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

SOLVED: Stuck in 4LO with 4WD Light

I am actually in a 2007 Frontier (Manual) 4x4 and it is stuck in 4 LO. I have tried driving in reverse, forward, brakes and neutral. I have also bench tested all 4 relays and the 2 associated 10A fuses as good. Next I am going to remove the Actuator motor and check that it works with positive and negative voltage.

The 4WD Malfunction Codes is 11 (flashes):

11 ---> Actuator motor
- Motor does not operate properly due to open or short circuit in actuator motor.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator motor. (When 4WD shift switch is operated and actuator motor is not operated).
- Malfunction is detected in transfer shift high relay or transfer shift low relay.

Two questions - 1. Any other advice or things to try?
2. Is there way that I could manually reconfigure the transfer case to 2WD (from 4-Lo to 4-Hi and then to 2WD) to make the truck drive-able?

Thanks,
maukiman

Last edited by maukiman; 08-02-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added fuse as good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Try searching for stuck 4lo site:thenewx.org in Google.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran
2007 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road 6MT

Garage
It sounds like you are past this part, but just to make 1,000% clear, the truck MUST be in neutral and at a full stop to shift into or out of 4lo.

Are all of your ABS sensors fully functional?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 392

Got extra time and money? Start Here:

Last edited by zach_attack; 07-28-2017 at 06:18 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Try giving the actuator motor a few light hammer taps when trying to shift. Much like a window motor the brushes can get on a dead spot and a little rattle can free them up.

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

I have been reading the 4WD light threads and trying some of the suggestions. One I have not tried is removing the battery. I'll try that and giving the motor a knocking.

For some background - the battery died on me a few weeks ago. The battery was replaced, but then removed from the truck while I was working on the timing chain guides. The truck had not been in 4-Lo until I parked it in 4-Lo for the maintenance - I wont be doing that again....

Thanks

Last edited by maukiman; 07-28-2017 at 08:02 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

Today, I unhooked the battery for 20+ minutes. I set the 4WD selector switch to 2-Lo, applied power and started the truck. The 4WD light came on within 2 seconds. Same story with the switch in 4-Hi.

So I removed the Actuator Motor and fed it + and - 12 VDC, it rotated in each direction.

Looking at a thread about converting a 2WD Xterra to 4x4 with some pictures https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how-...tml#post788492

The position of my transfer case shaft slot doesnt match up to any of the positions shown by USMMA11NC for 4hi, 2hi, nor 4lo. (post#3 in How-to: 2wd to 4x4 Conversion ) So I am unsure as to the exact gearing my truck is stuck in, but it feels like 4lo as I cannot get going very fast.

Here is the position of my shaft:

(see following post) almost like this ' \ ' but 45 degrees

So I am thinking that I need to manually move the transfer case to 4lo with the battery off and then reconnect it and start up the truck to see if that fixes the issue. To do this would I just rotate the shaft clockwise another 90 + 45 degrees?

Some noob questions, can the shaft only rotate a total of 90 + 180 degrees? Are there hard stopping points?

Thanks.

(I have too few posts to post urls)

Last edited by maukiman; 07-30-2017 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

I can post links now.

The position of my transfer case:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170729_184003.jpg (1.55 MB, 30 views)

Last edited by maukiman; 07-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

I think I found the answer in the FSM.
Attached Images
File Type: png FSM-TCD-TF127.png (66.5 KB, 50 views)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

I was only able to rotate the rod about 90 degrees counter-clockwise. If I rotated if there other direction there was a springiness to it and the rod rotated back to the original position - as if I was applying force against a tensioner. I'll match the actuator motor to the new position and see what happens.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Frontier SE

Ran thru the 4WD Diagnostics twice, was getting the 2.5 sec repeating long flash which indicates - 'Circuits that the self-diagnosis covers have no malfunction.'

The 4WD selector switch was in 2Hi. But the 4x4 Display diagram showed 4x4 and a flashing 4 lo.

So I drove it around a little, first fwd then reverse in straight lines then with some slight turning back and forth. Then I used the selector and switched it to 2Hi. There was some slight grinding from the actuator motor - and then the 4x4 diagram when blank and the 4WD idiot light came on.

I just removed the Actuator again and the transfer case rod is back to the '\' position. It will turn 90 degrees clockwise, but will spring back it turned counter-clockwise.

any ideas? Should I try jacking the whole truck up to see if I can get it out of 4x4?

Thanks

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode