Replacement Cat Converter Choice Tracking Feedback/Discussion (re: P0420, P0430) - Page 18 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
View Poll Results: IF you replaced cat converter(s), which brand did you buy?
OEM (Nissan) 13 16.46%
Walker 13 16.46%
Eastern Catalytic 24 30.38%
Magnaflow 14 17.72%
Bosal 5 6.33%
Davico 4 5.06%
Pacesetter 0 0%
Other (please specify in your post) 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Considering what has happened to Josh and that I'm at 100k I've decided my next big spend would be to preemptively do the cats and get a new exhaust/muffler at the same time since my is getting rusty. I'm thinking of getting the Magnaflow cats and the Magnaflow muffler. What do you guys think of either getting rid of the secondaries or replacing them with the rear Magnaflows too?

Who makes the OE o2 sensors? I'll replace those while I'm at it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:21 PM
2005 Silver Lightning Xterra SE

Garage
If you are going to do secondary cats, dont do the primarys, go with long tube headers.

Chop out the oem old secondary cats and install the magnaflow cats, extend your O2 wires and set everything up like stock.
Sensor one is located in the long tube collector, extend sensor two and place them after the mag flow cats in the b pipes.
This retains oem style placement of the sensors before and after cats, while giving you long tubes, high flow cats and a bolt in setup.

If your going to pay a exhaust shop to cut out the oem muffler and replace it, by the time you add the cost of the muffler and labor, buy a doug thorley catback.

I looove mine! Its quiet at idle, good deep notes when cruise and sounds awesome at WOT. Just need to cut the final tip pipe of the catback (its to long and extends past the bumper, i cut mine with just enough pipe after the resonator to allow the slip on tip to fit) and get a slip on dbl wall, rolled 45* turn down tip. And all looks stock.

I found one at orileys that fit the DT pipes perfectly, i couldnt use the pinch bolt, so i just did a simple tack weld in three location around the pipe to hold it on.

Will save ya money and you can do everything but the cat weld in yourself.
If you plan properly and use female/female pipe fittings on the cats and pipes. You can even do that yourself.

Everything retains its bolt in properties and you gain quite abit of power.

Be smart unlike me and order atleast 5 multilayer steel gaskets for the pipes.
The hanger rods for the DT catback was abit long and was causing the pipes to fit funky, thus creating a easy escape at the gaskets for the exhaust gasses, i kept burning gaskets.
Had to cut the hangers and remove 1/4" then weld back together to releive the funky angles and seal up the gaskets properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ezdaar; 05-21-2018 at 08:28 PM.
post #173 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 PM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

^^^did you use the o ring metal gasket (nissan oem style) at DT flange? Flat will not work well...I haven't had any leaks using the alum. "rings"...of course, you need the mating exhaust tube extend past its flange for this to work, so that it fits into the recess of the LT (secondary) collector, thereby crushing into the O via tightening the flanges together.

post #174 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssacHunter View Post
Considering what has happened to Josh and that I'm at 100k I've decided my next big spend would be to preemptively do the cats and get a new exhaust/muffler at the same time since my is getting rusty. I'm thinking of getting the Magnaflow cats and the Magnaflow muffler. What do you guys think of either getting rid of the secondaries or replacing them with the rear Magnaflows too?

Who makes the OE o2 sensors? I'll replace those while I'm at it as well.
My OEM o2 sensor was Denso (at least the one I ever had out)

If you search around this board a number have taken out the secondaries completely, and you get the full spectrum of opinions - from I couldn't tell the difference, to its definitely too loud now, to I love it. So thats an option also.

I am thinking of ditching the seccondaries, simply because mine are so old and the secondary cats aren't monitored by o2 sensors anyway. Does anyone make straight pipes other than Doug Thorely? 200 bucks for a couple pipes 2 feet long seems a bit much. I know I could just pound out the centers of mine - but replacing old parts with the same old parts seems wrong also.
IssacHunter likes this.

Last edited by idn88; 05-22-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #175 of 227 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
I ordered the Magnaflow cats this weekend. Probably be putting them on next week sometime.
General_Tarfun likes this.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #176 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:27 AM
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
I ordered the Magnaflow cats this weekend. Probably be putting them on next week sometime.
Where did you ordered the magnaflow cats from?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #177 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
One from Amazon and one from O'Reilly with a discount code. $243 for one and $275 for the other I think?

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #178 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:23 PM
2005 Solar Yellow Xterra Off Road

How's the fitment?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #179 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I haven't had a good chance to install them yet. It's on the list as soon as vacation is over next week. Along with a dozen other things that have been on the list WAY too long now as well.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #180 of 227 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran

Installed @ 187495, close to 192k now and still no codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerX05 View Post
So I have been getting the P420 & P430 codes pretty much on the daily so I bit the bullet and purchased a set of cats from AM Auto Parts.

Front Catalytic Converter Assemblies LH & RH Pair for Frontier Pathfinder Xterra | eBay

I paid $315.52 (this was the price at the time) with free shipping.
Parts come with a 5 year warranty
Comes with studs, nuts and seal rings for the down stream connection. You have to tranfer the studs and get new seal rings for the up stream connection.
The parts appear to be made well and all flanges were flat. Fit was perfect and I had no issues mounting them up. The only issue I had was with the passenger up stream flange as it is tapered so I wasn't sure if I should use a seal ring or not. I decided to use one which caused the flange not to sit completely flat to the manifold. I am around 185k miles and will try to update if I come across any issues.

And once I figure out how I can upload pictures since PB (fooking cunts) is charging for 3rd part hosting I will get pictures up

tap on flang

tap on left, seal ring on right

deep bungs

passenger upstream connection, see small gap front ring on tap

Baker

Click Here for >

Last edited by BakerX05; 06-10-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode