Best Aftermarket Spark Plugs for Tune Up? - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 AM
JNR
Veteran
2014 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

So, what exactly happens with the 'other' plugs to make NGK the only ones to use?

If the ignition is working properly, plugs,are in good condition, tightened properly and using the recommended gap, there should be no reason brand X will work any different than Brand Y or Z or even Q for that matter. There really isn't anything mysterious or magical about plugs, of course...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 01:18 AM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra Off-Road 6MT

I have had Autolite Iridiums in my X for 40K miles without any issues. I just checked them recently when I had the plenum off and they looked great. Not sure why "NGK is the only plug you should use". Sure they are OEM, but like @JNR said, the internals of spark plugs are all pretty much the same. Next time around I'll probably just save the money and throw on copper or platinum plugs. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think changing the plugs is a hard job. Even with removing the plenum, for me it's a 30-45 min job with basic tools.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

When I was poor(er) I bought a motorcycle that needed freshened up to start riding as my DD. All I could get locally was Champion spark plugs. I used them for a month until I had the money and a source for NGK plugs. I installed them and it was absolute night and day results, it was a different bike, ran so much better. Same difference with lawn mowers and power equipment. Champion comes in a lot of those from the factory, pull pull pull pull pull pull pull start. Change to NGK, it (normally) turns into a one pull start.

I have a buddy that worked at a Yamaha dealership as a mechanic and he loves telling this story. New bikes at the time had to go out the door with Champion spark plugs. He had folks lining up wanting to know why their brand new bike wouldn't start easily and run right. He finally ended up pulling the spark plugs out of all the bikes and replaced them with NGK, problem solved for him, his manager not so much...

I think plugs like Autolite work just fine in cars, but with the bad luck I've have with other brands of plugs in power equipment I always go with NGK if it's an option, because I've found whatever the problem it's usually not the plug when it's a fresh NGK. Never, ever put Champion in anything, and pull it out asap if it came installed in something you bought.
BarefootXterra likes this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
I use Denso iridium plugs. No issues at all.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
2005 Red Brawn ❌terra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR View Post
So, what exactly happens with the 'other' plugs to make NGK the only ones to use?
I haven't a clue.

My comment "NGK = no problem; Other = problem" was a tongue in cheek summary of online commentary about which replacement spark plugs to use in an Xterra. All of the opinions were personal preferences based on anecdotal evidence, none on scientific data.

I do not recall reading any negative reviews of NGK replacements plugs but I did read negative comments about various other brands. That made the choice easy for me - buy the NGK DILFR5A11 Laser Iridium spark plugs specified in the Nissan Factory Service Manual, install them, don't think of them again for another 100,000 miles.
TerryD likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM
ECS
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Knight Armour ❌terra OR

What Mr. Bills said ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bills View Post
Cutting to the chase:

Use only NGK DILFR5A11 Laser Iridium spark plugs for your 2010 Xterra. Sometimes the part number is listed as #93759, but the box will be labeled DILFR5A11.

These should be gapped to .043 (per Nissan Factory Service Manual) or .044 (per NGK literature). The inexpensive gapping tool I purchased had .044 but not .043, so .044 was what I used.

Why not use other, cheaper plugs? You can spend hours reading the online commentary on this but the bottom line is NGK = no problem; Other = problem.

And yes, copper is a better conductor than the iridium coated alloy in the plugs specified by Nissan, but the iridium plugs will last 100,000 miles and the copper plugs maybe 30,000, maybe only 20,000. This is a knuckle busting, bad word using, time consuming job. Why would you want to do it 4-5 times more often for some minor, unmeasurable performance advantage? I wouldn't.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 03:51 AM
2008 Xterra 4x4

NGK iridiums here and have no problems. I still have the stock wires.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Veteran
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

There are only two things (IIRC) that the Nissan service manual requires you to us a specific brand on.

Nissan ATF fluid (for autos)

And

NGKs for your spark plugs

They build that engine with the notion those plugs would be used. Why not go with what a team of Masters of Engineering required for their engine.

And at $17 a plug for 100k/mi, that's $0.001/mi

Well worth the 'investment'
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 07:45 AM
2006 Storm Gray Frontier SE

For what it's worth, some Nissan dealership websites have parts a lot cheaper on there then buying at the parts counter in the dealership and comes with free shipping. For instance, colonialnissan.com had my new fan shroud $25 cheaper online compared to buying in the store. I know the titan spark plugs on there are about the same price as buying from advance.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 AM
2012 Brilliant Silver Xterra S 4x4 5AT

Garage
I was on RockAuto looking at spark plugs, noticed they have the NGK Ruthenium HX's listed as 'Maximum Durability and Ignitability'. For some reason they're $3 cheaper than the OE Laser Iridiums. Anyone have any experience with these? Here's the RockAuto link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3373&jsn=13373

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode