Factory In-radiator ATF Cooler Dissected w/Pics - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Joe, I see lots of internet speculation on the part numbers, but I know of no real conclusive evidence either way. Best I can tell your part was added into the new 2010 models in September 2009. That's a tough call on yours - did you receive the warranty extension notification?
As a matter of fact I did receive an extension notification when Nissan decided to settle this problem.

The technician at our local Nissan dealer suggested that I replace the rad prior to the expiration of the warranty.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2009 Navy Blue Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetop55 View Post
As a matter of fact I did receive an extension notification when Nissan decided to settle this problem.

The technician at our local Nissan dealer suggested that I replace the rad prior to the expiration of the warranty.

Joe
Joe, I essentially did what your Nissan tech recommended - just prior to the steep deductible. Not sure I've heard of any 2010's with the problem *yet* though. For my peace of mind, I'd probably have to go ahead and replace it just prior to 80k, if you are not already there - especially if you plan on keeping it a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM
2010 Knight Armour Xterra Off Road

Hi brett,

I plan on replacing the rad before 80K, however, I'm at approximately 45K at the moment.

The wife and I have no intention of replacing this truck until the wheels fall off. We take good care of our Xterra because she is such a pleasure to drive and is a true utility vehicle.

Debbie feels so secure while driving the Xterra and with all the distracted idiots on the road, it's comforting to know that you have better chances surviving an accident in an Xterra than a little gas sipping car.

Joe

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

data point: 09 x purchased july 09.
My rad # is 21460-ZL11a.
Another thread lists this part from 8/09-2011 which can't be right
as I purchased in 7/09, don't know manufactured date.
So, has it been confirmed if this rad is defective?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
data point: 09 x purchased july 09.
My rad # is 21460-ZL11a.
Another thread lists this part from 8/09-2011 which can't be right
as I purchased in 7/09, don't know manufactured date.
So, has it been confirmed if this rad is defective?
That is the same part number I had in my 2010. It is one of the defective designs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunker26 View Post
That is the same part number I had in my 2010. It is one of the defective designs.
even though no 2010's have had SMOD? SMOD hit list thread states that this was a new part # for 2010s.
Was there another updated part # for 2011s, thus not part of the class action?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
even though no 2010's have had SMOD? SMOD hit list thread states that this was a new part # for 2010s.
Was there another updated part # for 2011s, thus not part of the class action?
I was told by Nissan that the part was suspect. There have been a couple SMOD victims with this design.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetop55 View Post
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the informative post.

Would it be possible to know what the model # of your original rad is and what rad did you use as a replacement?

Joe
For what its worth I replaced my OEM with a KOYO RADIATOR #A2807...... $150.00. now i sleep better, and I don't have to pull the friggin trans dipstick everyday to see if there is a milk shake waiting for me.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

FWIW - at 100K I put in the Spectra radiator sold at Amazon. I bought the Spectra because I read elsewhere they were made in Canada. Well, mine was mad in China, but since I had it I went ahead and put it in.

I am now at 220K, and have had zero issues with it.

If I had it to do again I would find a different one, only because I hate stuff made in China. However, having said that its 132 bucks on Amazon, and you can get it next day cheeply if your a prime member?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode