Flashing SES, P0300, Wet Spark Plug, Blow-by - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 N50 Off-Road

Flashing SES, P0300, Wet Spark Plug, Blow-by

So the title is the really short story.

I've gone through TONS of threads on misfires with the 4.0 (X, Fronty, Titan, and the cars too).

Here's how things have gone down.

Last week, misfire with a P0300, traced down to coil pack on cylinder 1. Replaced the coil pack and the miss and code went away.

Ordered the remaining coils in order to have all 6 be new. Hitachi's, which most agree are OE.

The miss comes back, but this time with some loss of power. New coils come in while at work so I replace the easy ones at lunch. Idles nice and smooth after that.

On the drive home the miss and blinking SES light comes on as soon as I hit the highway. No power over 2000 RPMs and then dies at 2500 RPMs. Get towed home.

Replaced the IPDM ECM relay. No change, still misfires.

I start checking closer and isolate the misfire to bank 2 (right). Misfire/knock could be heard under the vehicle. I then find cylinder 5's spark plug to be wet. Coil for #5 has spark. All spark plugs are new.

I then did a injector clean in case the injector was stuck open. It smoked a good amount as usual, but then ran even more rough after the service was complete. The knock/misfire could now be heard from the top of the engine.

So I decided to pull the intake off. TONS of blow-by. The entire intake was coated in oil. the intake runners for bank 2 had excessive oil build up. The intake valves look ok.

The blow-by has me really confused. I'm going to clean the intake out and replace the PCV and all hoses.

I'm open for suggestions. Actually, I need some suggestions, I don't know what to try next.

Thanks folks.

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ
Boats - Bikes - Boulders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

was it just the plug with the misfire or just bank 2, or all of them that were wet? did you clean/replace the plug on the cylinder when you replaced the coil pack?

if just that one plug was wet, i'd be doing a compression test, that cylinder may be down, causing the blow by, misfire, and lack of power. that would probably be worst-case.

best case, you still have a partially fouled plug in there and that is what's causing the misfire and code. i have a feeling it will not be this though.

also check your connections since you've had some of the coil packs off and back on, maybe there is a loose connection somewhere.

I'd go ahead and replace the pcv like you planned also, since when it quits it can cause a lot of oil in the intake and rough idle.

Click Here For >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Looking to upgrade to synthetic winch line?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S War Machine Edition

Send a message via AIM to civicjoe
Damn dude im almost in the exact same boat as you, I dont believe i have the blow by issue though, everything else sounds the same. Mine hasnt died, possibly because i didnt let it, it gave me a real bad hesitation so i shut it off let it sit and started back up just fine.the next weekend i did the plugs and coils. upon start up i got flashing SES, i shut it off, started back up just fine, drove 46 miles got the ses lit back up solid and ive parked it since. Tested yesterday for intake leaks with starter fluid as was suggested by a buddy, and that seemed to be fine as well. Currently at a loss, out of frustration.
Ive done everything you have, except change the hoses and pcv didnt even know about that one, and I also cleaned the MAF. I really dont know what to do next.

"If you've never bled from working on your rig, odds are you aren't trying hard enough"

plummer on Clubxterra.org : Civicjoe on Xterra Nation.org <-- 1 word

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 N50 Off-Road

General update:

So I was able to clean all the blow-by residue out of the intake. Don't ask for details, it was messy as ****, but its is clean now.

The truck idles smooth, but when you rev it the SES light still flashes indicating a misfire.

Here's a new thing though. I can now here a clear metallic ringing sound underneath the vehicle. This noise is different form the misfire I scoped off of the bank 2 exhaust. That was dull and muted, this is like a cheap Christmas bell being rang like a sugared up 5 year old.

I did do some exhaust work 2 weeks ago and now I'm wondering if something else came loose or broke and is rattling around.

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ
Boats - Bikes - Boulders
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 N50 Off-Road

So, I finally got some compression numbers and one cylinder isn't good. However, its not the cylinder or bank that was initially indicating a misfire.

#1 - 180 psi
#2 - 95 psi (135 after adding a little oil)
#3 - 180 psi
#4 - 180 psi
#5 - 180 psi
#6 - 180 psi

185 psi is standard pressure, 142 psi is minimum

This low cylinder would also explain my excessive blow by.

Since the motor will have to come out to be rebuilt, it gives the ability to look at everything else internal and external.

--Matt
danyelle likes this.

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ
Boats - Bikes - Boulders
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by egon View Post
So, I finally got some compression numbers and one cylinder isn't good. However, its not the cylinder or bank that was initially indicating a misfire.

#1 - 180 psi
#2 - 95 psi (135 after adding a little oil)
#3 - 180 psi
#4 - 180 psi
#5 - 180 psi
#6 - 180 psi

185 psi is standard pressure, 142 psi is minimum

This low cylinder would also explain my excessive blow by.

Since the motor will have to come out to be rebuilt, it gives the ability to look at everything else internal and external.

--Matt
Out of curiosity; how many miles on the X? What type of oil and filter and how frequently changed?

Support small businesses that support us! -

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 N50 Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
Out of curiosity; how many miles on the X? What type of oil and filter and how frequently changed?

Mobil 1

Napa Gold/Wix (oversized)

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ
Boats - Bikes - Boulders
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:

Mobil 1

Napa Gold/Wix (oversized)

--Matt
How long have you used Mobile 1? I've been reading some bad numbers over on Bob is the Oil Guy. It seems they changed the add pack a while ago and engines have been suffering. Apparently they fixed the issues but I'm wondering if your problem might have been oil related.

Last edited by jdunker26; 11-08-2015 at 06:51 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 N50 Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunker26 View Post
How long have you used Mobile 1? I've been reading some bad numbers over on Bob is the Oil Guy. It seems they changed the add pack a while ago and engines have been suffering. Apparently they fixed the issues but I'm wondering if your problem might have been oil related.
I've used M1 since 1500 miles (bought brand new and did a brake in with GTX). Look at the compression number though. 5 cylinders are near perfect. Only one was affected by something. If it was oil, I should have bad numbers all around.

I use M1 in my Jeep too. No issues there.

--Matt

07 X OR | 96 XJ | 86 CJ
Boats - Bikes - Boulders
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
I've used M1 since 1500 miles (bought brand new and did a brake in with GTX). Look at the compression number though. 5 cylinders are near perfect. Only one was affected by something. If it was oil, I should have bad numbers all around.

I use M1 in my Jeep too. No issues there.

--Matt
My thoughts too. Just brainstorming on what might be causing your issues.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode