Limp Mode Constantly Help - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Limp Mode Constantly Help

There are lots of threads on limp mode, tras, etc etc etc. But i cant for the life of me fine something to coorosponds to my issue.
My X (2006 offroad) showes no signs of cross contamination, thank God. Howerver, I am having a major issue with the vehicle going into limp mode often. It has been in the Nissan dealership 3 times for this now. They replaced the valve body at least once, they say they have done it every time, but i see no difference.
The vehicle will go into limp mode, not climbing cliffs, or dredging through creeks, but just driving along normally. When this happens, the SES light comes on, the 4wheel engage light comes on and the 4wheel display goes blank like others have stated. i can shut the vehicle down and wait and everything returns to normal, for a while. But it will do it again, and has.
The dealer has no idea what is going on, clearly. The vehicle has 130k on it and i love it, but this is getting to be a little too much.
Has anyone seen or had this same issue with a resolution? I am this close to leaving nissan forever. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Veteran
2010 "Abominable" Xterra Off Road

If you can get the code that pops up when it goes into limp mode, it will be easier to diagnose. Check to see if there is any contamination in your transmission fluid. SMOD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

the last time it happened I stopped by autozone and pulled the code. U1000. But my local Nissan dealership had no idea what that ment. i know right??

There is no contamination at all.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S

Something I found while surfing the interwebs, maybe it will help.

Service Bulletin, probably should find another dealer if they dont know about service bulletins.

http://engine-codes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB06-009a.pdf

Last edited by dreamX; 08-13-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra X

IPDM relay issues? Can cause quite a few random issues. Looks like this guys IPDM cause similar to what you have:

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29510

If you are lucky could just be the relay. It can be hard to diagnose, but a Nissan dealership worth its salt should be able to figure it out. There is a service bulletin.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Thanks for all the assistance guys. Push has come to shove with this problem and without a mechanic who is willing or worth it to fix it. I will, as of Saturday, jettison this vehicle. It is very bitter sweet. I have loved that vehicle for a long time, but without the proper backing by Nissan and the dealership, it is not worth keeping any longer. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth with Nissan. Maybe in the future that will subside, but right now, I am not looking back.

Good luck to all with their Xs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Hybrid Edition

Did you buy it new?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran
2006 T-Swap Silver Lightning Xterra OR 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghooper View Post
the last time it happened I stopped by autozone and pulled the code. U1000. But my local Nissan dealership had no idea what that ment. i know right??

There is no contamination at all.
U1000 is a beeyotch to diagnose. I know 3 guys that are in different trucks now because Nissan couldn't figure out what was causing their issues. 3 different dealers, too.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Veteran
2006 Orangemen Edition; Off-Road Est. 2013; T.S. Est. 2014; 100% Locked Est. 2015

Transmission temp was my issue. Limp mode hits around 250 degrees fahrenheit. Buy a cheap, wireless, OBDII scanner like the one linked below and pull the temps when it goes into limp mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Xseries-Auto-W...=obd2+wireless
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Veteran
2012 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.X. View Post
Transmission temp was my issue. Limp mode hits around 250 degrees fahrenheit. Buy a cheap, wireless, OBDII scanner like the one linked below and pull the temps when it goes into limp mode.

http://www.amazon.com/Xseries-Auto-W...=obd2+wireless
I had limp mode issue up in Ouray back in July. I'm bypassed but do have an extra trans cooler on top of the original one. Keeping the RPM above 2200 so the torque converter stays locked helps reduce heat build up in that situation.

I'm about to replace my radiator with a Koyo so can hook things back up like stock to get the extra cooling.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode