ECM Reflash.... Who has Done It?? After O2 Sensor Replacement? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

ECM Reflash.... Who has Done It?? After O2 Sensor Replacement?

Hi everyone,
Some of you may remember my other post attempting to solve a P2000 code. Well I lived with the code for months, because I honestly got tired of dealing with it. Well this month I had no choice but to deal with it because my 2006 Xterra was due for inspection. The truck will not pass unless the computer is is "ready" status with no codes.
I dropped it at my mechanic, and he attempt to fix it. He replaced the front oxygen sensor, with a new Nissan sensor. He was able to drive the truck and get the computer into ready status and inspect it.
But................he noted that the voltage value to the O2 sensor is slightly off, and the light may come back on. He did some research and noted that the ECM may need to be reflashed at the dealer. He said that Nissan actually recommends a reflash any time an O2 sensor is replaced. He stated that the reflash will allow the computer to be less sensitive to O2 voltage values.
Does the info my mechanic gave me make sense?

Thanks,
Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra Off-road clone

Not really necessary but I have had to do it on a 09 pathfinder after replacing the driver side up stream sensor .
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I assume a reflash is like a software upgrade on a home computer? Are there some benefits to a reflash? When Apple prompts you to do a software update on your iPhone or iPad, often they note it will "fix bugs", is a reflash the same thing? Also is the dealer the only game in town for this?

Last edited by Zack1978; 08-10-2015 at 11:38 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra Off-road clone

Sometimes we reflash/reprogram due to emissions reasons or calibration problems in the pcm . And other times its due to new sensors or emissions equipment being installed ( o2 sensors, maf, cats, ect.)
So basically yes it's new software being loaded in the pcm. And by the way I work at a Nissan dealership.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Well I went to a Nissan dealer today to have the computer Reflashed. They informed me that it would be a one hour labor charge. I was fine with that and consented to the work. About twenty minutes later they came to get me and told me there would be no charge since the computer has the most updated version of the software. How can that be possible? I never take the truck to the dealer for anything Were they telling the truth?

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode