RCV Titan CV Shafts - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2009 Titan Swapped Frontier PRO-4X

Send a message via AIM to westracing01
RCV Titan CV Shafts

RCV Performance Half Shafts

Apologize if this has been posted before. Went to price check 4.56's and saw these on the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Nice catch.....

This product was added to our catalog on Friday 01 August, 2014

"Picture for reference only not exact product"

$1995.00 spendy.... but you get what you pay for.
still need Steevo to post up the specs....
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Not a new topic, but it is the first time I've actually seen them for sale.
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthr...ght=RCV&page=5
That thread ended with "coming soon..."

They are fantastic, but come at one hell of a price. I'm stock width and getting some CV bind because I'm running ~4" lift. It's still way more cost effective to buy a new CV from O'Riley's with a warrentey and replace them when they fail. I am completly maxed out droop at stock width, and I couldn't gain much from upgraded CVs. IF there was significant gains to be made at Titan width than there could be solid argument made for their value. Otherwise they are just a $2000 piece of mind, another way to throw money at your X.

That being said, it is likely that there is more to be gained at Titan width that stock. The hard limit I've found at stock is the coil bucket. Longer arms would clear it further and could allow more exteem angles. Also, with Dirt King's upper and lower arms it is easy to imagine a setup where the CVs are the limiting factor. This is not with the standard PRG SAW coilovers though. Many people people have run those without CV issues. You'd have to be running a custom coilover setup- or just the SAWs with spacers, I guess- to require these to make your setup work.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Veteran
2008 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Good point on the angular capacity of the RCVs vs. stock half-axle assemblies ... that's an aspect I hadn't actually considered yet; and certainly bears some thought. It may be that the argument for RCVs lies there ... however, I think (for the purposes of the Xterra) claiming that these are necessary purely for their strength, is a bit of red herring ... yes, they will be (much) stronger than stock. But is that really necessary? I'd argue not.

For a truck with a SFA, where you'd have to tear down the front hub and pull out either side shaft, were one of the steering joints (or either shaft) to fail ... or put another way, where the whole side shaft is effectively inside the axle ... then I agree, you want to put as much strength internal to the assembly as you can (and as your wallet can tolerate); with the goal being to put the weakest link someplace external to the axle - like the front DS u-joints.

On the Nissan IFS, a halfshaft swap is relatively easily done ... and at ~$100 (or less) for a trail spare, there's a fair amount of wheeling that can be done before I'd consider socking away $2k for RCV assemblies. I think that dichotomy is further compounded when the diff internals are beefed up ... if you've done that (with an ARB or a lunchbox locker); then with these RCVs, I'd think you're looking at the next weak link either being one of the front hub assemblies, or perhaps the diff-internal side-shaft.

Am I missing something?
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2009 Titan Swapped Frontier PRO-4X

Send a message via AIM to westracing01
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum315 View Post
Good point on the angular capacity of the RCVs vs. stock half-axle assemblies ... that's an aspect I hadn't actually considered yet; and certainly bears some thought. It may be that the argument for RCVs lies there ... however, I think (for the purposes of the Xterra) claiming that these are necessary purely for their strength, is a bit of red herring ... yes, they will be (much) stronger than stock. But is that really necessary? I'd argue not.

For a truck with a SFA, where you'd have to tear down the front hub and pull out either side shaft, were one of the steering joints (or either shaft) to fail ... or put another way, where the whole side shaft is effectively inside the axle ... then I agree, you want to put as much strength internal to the assembly as you can (and as your wallet can tolerate); with the goal being to put the weakest link someplace external to the axle - like the front DS u-joints.

On the Nissan IFS, a halfshaft swap is relatively easily done ... and at ~$100 (or less) for a trail spare, there's a fair amount of wheeling that can be done before I'd consider socking away $2k for RCV assemblies. I think that dichotomy is further compounded when the diff internals are beefed up ... if you've done that (with an ARB or a lunchbox locker); then with these RCVs, I'd think you're looking at the next weak link either being one of the front hub assemblies, or perhaps the diff-internal side-shaft.

Am I missing something?
Basically my thoughts as well. But I'd still like to have them

Best of everything would be ARB carrier, Chromoly internal side shafts and RCV half shafts. Then the drive-shaft U-joint or hub would be the weak link. Bullet proof IFS setups get pricey fast.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

I have brand new OEM Titan axles.
Also have Used Titan axles for trail spares.
Also have a set of CARDONE ones(for sale).

If I go through the new ones, the spares, then maybe

....................but still interested.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
2008 Lightning Silver Xterra Titan Swapped

My next venture is to try an lower the m205 and with that I wouldn't have much use for these but I highly doubt a titan swapped X is going to break these. Lowering the diff a little will allow for further down travel and not cause Cv binds. Cyclemut used to do this to a lot of older Nissans and we've fired the idea back and forth just haven't had time to do any solid R&D. However with that said, Ive been running oem titan cvs and they are a much more soild Cv than the Rockauto ones and bind at about 1/2" lower than the Rockauto ones. Ive torn both apart to replace boots and I can honestly say you get what you pay for.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran
2008 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by westracing01 View Post
Bullet proof IFS setups get pricey fast.
Isn't that ever the truth ...

... I'll just put this right here: http://www.proformance.com.au/index.htm
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
2008 Lightning Silver Xterra Titan Swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum315 View Post
Isn't that ever the truth ...

... I'll just put this right here: http://www.proformance.com.au/index.htm

Dang son

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator / Middle Atlantic Regional Moderator / (GPAX) Club Moderator
2005 Super Black ❌terra S

Send a message via AIM to XterraPA Send a message via Yahoo to XterraPA
$2,000!?! Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa!?!

Stephen Q. Breslin -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 - Super Black "S" 4x4 - 6MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GPAX Founder/ El Presidente
- "A man of the people!"

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode