Sue the Mechanic Personally? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
2005 Avalanche White Xterra S 6MT

Sue the Mechanic Personally?

Long story short, the dealershipís service department is refusing to warranty the work done to my Xterra. Can a person sue the mechanic that actually did the work?

Hold my Coconut Water and Watch this...

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member
2015 Glacier White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblePimp View Post
Long story short, the dealershipís service department is refusing to warranty the work done to my Xterra. Can a person sue the mechanic that actually did the work?
I don't believe so. Technically he would be protected under the dealership's umbrella. Escalate it to the service manager, failing that, the general manager, failing that, corporate office. Good luck!
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodragon4x View Post
I don't believe so. Technically he would be protected under the dealership's umbrella. Escalate it to the service manager, failing that, the general manager, failing that, corporate office. Good luck!
I called Nissan customer service & was essentially told ďtough doodooĒ.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:40 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X [New Hotness]

Yea, with out hearing the story, and their reasoning, it’s on you.

Click Here for >

ďIn every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.Ē John Muir
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

I had my timing chain replaced at the dealership back home a little while back. Since then, the dealership has sold to a new owner. Come to find out week before last, thereís an oil leak coming timing chain cover that has wiped out my alternator. The dealership was hesitant about doing anything with it & I was out of town. They told me to take it to any dealership for any make to verify that it is leaking from where I said it was. 1 week & $120 dollars later at the Chevy house here I get the answer that Iím right. Yesterday, I call & tell them I was right with the paperwork from Chevy. Now, theyíre not going to do anything about it. Nissan corporate isnít going to do anything, either. Itís a case of mechanic negligence. If I canít get the company to warranty their work, Iíll go after the person that did the work.

I donít want anything special or extra. I just want it made right. If I have to go after a specific man to get it done, I will.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 AM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Find out who the General Manager is - and call them. Then email them. Be professonal but firm on your stance.

If they stonewall you , then yes- go to Nissan US Corporate offices...which is I think : (800) NISSAN-1 ( 800-647-7261)

Then there is this gentleman : Andrew Tavi, VP Legal and Government Affairs and General Counsel, (615) 725-1000

Good luck
PebblePimp likes this.

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblePimp View Post
I had my timing chain replaced at the dealership back home a little while back. Since then, the dealership has sold to a new owner. Come to find out week before last, thereís an oil leak coming timing chain cover that has wiped out my alternator. The dealership was hesitant about doing anything with it & I was out of town. They told me to take it to any dealership for any make to verify that it is leaking from where I said it was. 1 week & $120 dollars later at the Chevy house here I get the answer that Iím right. Yesterday, I call & tell them I was right with the paperwork from Chevy. Now, theyíre not going to do anything about it. Nissan corporate isnít going to do anything, either. Itís a case of mechanic negligence. If I canít get the company to warranty their work, Iíll go after the person that did the work.

I donít want anything special or extra. I just want it made right. If I have to go after a specific man to get it done, I will.
So, you're going to potentially ruin a guy's career and possibly his personal life over an oil leak? Crap happens, even to the best mechanics who follow the best directions. That's not negligence. Pull your head out. Your sense of entitlement is astounding. You don't even know if they're the person that did all the work. This is something to be handled by the company, they're the ones not honoring the warranty.
AlbatrossCafe and beaterpc2 like this.

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:53 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
So, you're going to potentially ruin a guy's career and possibly his personal life over an oil leak? Crap happens, even to the best mechanics who follow the best directions. That's not negligence. Pull your head out. Your sense of entitlement is astounding. You don't even know if they're the person that did all the work. This is something to be handled by the company, they're the ones not honoring the warranty.
Yeah, I have to admit there seem to be some holes in your story. What's a "little while back"? 2 weeks? 2 years? The world is an imperfect place, screws fall out all the time. Without knowing the whole story it's hard to judge, but your initial posts seem to be an over-reaction
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

It sounds to me like they rushed it and didnt let the gasket maker sit long enough and of course some oil seeps out.

That should be squarely on the dealership to back up their work. The dealership is responsible for the actions of their employees.

you could try to go after the individual but ... they work at a dealer svc dept.. they aint got much to sue for... plus they are probably protected in some way as an employee. youd probably have better luck suing the dealership... but either way your probably going to spend more on a lawyer and court costs than its worth...
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
Find out who the General Manager is - and call them. Then email them. Be professonal but firm on your stance.

If they stonewall you , then yes- go to Nissan US Corporate offices...which is I think : (800) NISSAN-1 ( 800-647-7261)

Then there is this gentleman : Andrew Tavi, VP Legal and Government Affairs and General Counsel, (615) 725-1000

Good luck
I did call both & got nowhere. Thanks for the line on another route.

Click Here for >
Closed Thread

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Off Topic Section > Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode