#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kenwood DDX512 Installation

Tools Needed:

#2 Philips Head Screw Driver
Wire Snips / Crimps
Crimp Connectors
Nissan Wire Harness
Antenna Adapter

Step 1: First I prepared the Nisan Wire Harness with the Kenwood's wire harness, matching color for color. You will not need certain colors depending on what accessories you will be using. The Kenwood harness is the one with the black connector. The Nissan has two separate white connectors.

(In most states it is illegal to watch a DVD while driving so I don't recommend bypassing the e-brake security feature! But if it's something you're wiling to risk, here's how you do it.)

On the Kenwood wire harness, you will see a light green wire labeled for the parking brake. Simply connect the ends of the light green wire with the black ground wire together into one end of the crimp, then connect the black ground wire from the Nissan wire harness to the other end joining the two as you did the rest of the colors.

Step 2: The next step is to remove the dash console. This is an easy step. First remove the front dash console by prying with your fingers behind the upper part of the console. This would be the closest part near the windshield and pull toward you slowly and gently. This piece is only held on with 4 clips but there will also be wiring to disconnect so be careful! Once it's pulled toward you, you will able to see the back side where the wires are for the flashers, temp controls and passenger side airbag control. Just disconnect those and the console should come straight toward you. Put it aside till the end.

Once removed, you'll have a clear view of the factory radio.

Step 3: The Nissan Radio is held secure by only 4 screws! Remove these and gently pull the radio forward to disconnect the 2 wire harnesses from the back. Once removed, this is what is.

Step 4: Now that you have the factory radio out, remove the 2 mounting brackets from either side. You will then install these brackets to the new Kenwood unit matching up the holes. You will now only use 3 screws on each side.

Step 5: Bring the unit close to the dash and attach the wire harness and antenna adapter to the back of the unit and connect to the Nissan wire harness. Tuck all wires neatly behind the unit. If you will be using the IPOD cable, be sure to bring it through the dash before securing the Kenwood. Put the Kenwood in place and replace the 4 screws removed from step 3.

Step 6: Using the supplied trim ring from Kenwood, (it's the flat black trim piece, not the beauty trim) cut it down to fit behind the console by trimming off the sides leaving about ¼ of an inch remaining all around to fill in the gap. I used a razor blade and scored it several times until they would snap off. Snap into place around the Kenwood unit.

Step 7: Now replace the dash center console cover by first connecting all wires to the back. Then from the top end, snap the two clips in place first followed by the bottom. Your done!

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, it came with a 2 trim rings but they have to be cut down. The one is molded in hard plastic so I'm havin my local stereo place trim it with a table saw they use for just those purposes. (you can see a glimps of it in the picture following step #4) They do it all the time - Nice and clean! He says it will fit perfectly within the open area of the dash. I'm also going to be installing headrest monitors in a month or two when the funds are available.

#9 ·
I certainly will share what I find with the features. So far, everything is very user friendly and the sound and picture quality is awsome! Ionly have an ipod shuffle so the audio jack on the front lets me use it from there.

#13 ·
You will need the antennae adapter. And also make sure that you get proper parts for the wiring harnesses. Somewhere in there they changed the harness on the factory side. I believe it was 07. But some manufacturers still carry the same (old) part numbers for the 07+ vehicles. Just trying to save you a extra trip to the local stereo shop ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.