DIFF LOCK Light Flickering / Constant 'ON' - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Default DIFF LOCK Light Flickering / Constant 'ON'

Took a trip today and my DIFF LOCK light was on. Thought maybe someone hit the button but it was off. Pulled over and tried to reset... Didn't work. Then I noticed it starting to flicker and go dim and bright. Did this to me about 3 times in all in my 300 mile trip today. I do have the diff lock bypass mod and that's all... Anyone else have this? Going to check the connections tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM
2009 Xterra

the diff lock light is simply the end (ground) wire from your locker. It most likely has a loose or bad connection to the chassie.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephhauler View Post
the diff lock light is simply the end (ground) wire from your locker. It most likely has a loose or bad connection to the chassie.
Looking at the wire diagram though, the electrical path for the light goes FUSE BLOCK ---> INST CLUSTER ---> DIFF LOCK LIGHT ---> DLCU.

There has to be a problem with either the DLCU or it HAS a connection to ground when it shouldn't. No wires are chaffed or damaged...

Could be the diff lock position switch going bad as well...

Last edited by Neo1130; 07-01-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra MT Off-Road

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55916
Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Nixx... Those were the exact problems I have been having... Except the DIFF and VDC/ABS lights seemed to happen weeks apart and never on the same trip... Did you ever find a NEW switch? Ever get your stuff back together and up and running?
Old 07-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra MT Off-Road

I never needed a new switch. After I removed the switch, cleaned it and drained and cleaned the diff everything was working fine.

Wierd that the DIFF LOCK and the VDC/ABS/SLIP lights weren't coming on at the same time. That might mean that you have something different going on.

REMINDER: (in case you didn't read the other thread in deatails) Do not remove the Diff Lock Position Switch (DLPS) unless you absolutly have to its a bitch to get back in.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 AM
2009 Xterra

ahh you are right, I wired this switch/light up before and I thought the diff light was the last thing in the locker soleoid loop so that if for some reason the locker didnt fire, the circuit up to the light wouldn't close and illuminate the indicator light. I can tell you however that all of those lights are found on the main gage cluster pin harness behind the gauges. They could be corroded or dirty since all they need to turn on is a connection to your chassies. (ground)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Drain and refill with correct oil and see if it works. cheap check for contaminated oil.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Supporting Member
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmentrout View Post
Drain and refill with correct oil and see if it works. cheap check for contaminated oil.
The diff fluid would not be able to cause this. A chaffed wire near the rear diff would be most likely.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra MT Off-Road

^^

Contaminates, particularly metal particles, in the oil could cause a short/malfunction in the DLPS inside the diff. A drain might help. I'd also check out the connector.

I completely pulled mine apart and found nothing obviously wrong. I cleaned the switch and the connector, put it back together and the problems were gone.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline