P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2 Help - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Noobie
2005 Xterra SE

Default P0174 - System Too Lean Bank 2 Help

hey guys, i have a 2005 SE with 70k miles.
i'm getting a check engine light for P0174. does anyone have any suggestions on this problem?

i have cleaned the MAF sensor & throttle body with the appropriate cleaner, checked for vacuum leaks as best i can. i was thinking about swapping the O2 sensors from one side to the other to see if the code would change to a lean condition on bank 1 instead.
any other ideas before i buy a new MAF sensor?

thanks, Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

Air Fuel Meter Sensor, had the same issue earlier this year. If you Have a K&N style intake(oiled) the stealership will most likely tell you it is the MAF, have them look further
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra SE

yea, i do have a k&n air filter element. was your mass air meter bad in your truck? did you get the same code?

the dealer is not working on it, i am.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM
2005 Frontier NISMO 4X4

how have you check for vacuum leaks? only bad ones will show with spraying and checking for a stumble. I always use a scanner that reads STFT, and LTFT(short and long term fuel trims.) if your LTFT are a high positive its adding fuel for a constant vacuum leak(or what it thinks is one due to a MAFS fault or 02. most often it is not a 02 but leak or MAFS. You need to erase the LTFT or it can mask a repair and make you think youve not fixed a issue because it will ALWAYS run under preconcieved faults that it will not correct before throwing codes or creating additional fault. DO this by doing a hard reset that clears all volatile memory from all modules. Disconnect battery negative cable and touch the disconnected neg cable to the positive. this discharges all capacitors on the truck/car and erases volatile memory(erasble memory like LTFT) It will be at "0" then. Now flip over to monitor bank 1 STFT and spray suspect areas again. When the STFT go into negative you found a vacuum leak(its puulling fuel from injectors because you induced fuel source through vacuum leak) This will let you see what the ECU sees through the 02 and is way more accurate than you spraying and trying to feel a stumble. IF there is no change then yes you can swap upstream 02's and see it the fault follows the 02. past that I too would replace the MAFS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn1EvGKO1Yo
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Veteran
2009 Equator RMZ-4

jr, in my case the dealer originally said bad MAF, I replaced it. Couple days later codes came back, I had 0174 and 0172iirc. Raised hell when I went back, they actually did their job and found out it was the Air Fuel Meter Sensor. Most factory mechanics are quick to jump on MAF, because that is what they are taught to blame at the factory schools, and they will often not even bother to run proper diagnostics. Some that haven't drank the kool-aid will actually not just stop as soon as they see a K&N style filter.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra SE

so i swapped the front O2 sensors from one side to the other and now i'm getting P1281 & P0300 and it's running terrible.

the short term fuel trim 2 was at -25 at idle while the other side was 3.9.
so i think it looks like the front O2 sensor on the drivers side is the problem.
what do you guys think?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroddvette View Post
so i swapped the front O2 sensors from one side to the other and now i'm getting P1281 & P0300 and it's running terrible.

the short term fuel trim 2 was at -25 at idle while the other side was 3.9.
so i think it looks like the front O2 sensor on the drivers side is the problem.
what do you guys think?
I might be wrong here but I think the senors are location specific so if you swap them they would not read right and make it run worse as you described.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Noobie
2005 Xterra SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NonlyX View Post
I might be wrong here but I think the senors are location specific so if you swap them they would not read right and make it run worse as you described.
i think the rear sensors are location specific. from what i can tell by searching online, the fronts are the same. but, then again i may be wrong...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Off-Road

From what I've seen searching for O2 sensors most stores sell them location specific. That would leave me to believe they are, but Im no Nissan tech so I could be wrong.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
2005 Frontier NISMO 4X4

UPSTREAM AND DOWNSTREAM ARE DIFFERANT BUT YOU CAN SWAP SIDE TO SIDE, JUST NOT UP AND DOWN. LOOKS LIKE THE LAMBDA SENSOR IS FAULTY PULLING FUEL AT MAX AMOUNT. FOR DRIVERS SIDE WHICH IS THE P1281 A/F SENSOR CODE. BUT THAT STFT SHOWS A RICH CONDITION NOT LEAN. YOUDE HAVE TO LOOK AT THE READINGS AND VOLTAGES...HERES A FLOW CHART

http://library.alldatapro.com/alldat...4763/178112946

Last edited by BRUTAL; 10-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline