EVAP Vent Control Valve (FINALLY a Fix From Nissan) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra

Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to all2surreal
Default EVAP Vent Control Valve (FINALLY a Fix From Nissan)

Nissan finally released a TSB for their EVAP Vent Control Valve issue. Goto www.nissanhelp.com. Many of us already know that Nissan made a mistake when they choose to vent the EVAP canister where they did. And because of it we have DTCs many times (P0455). And have even been the the dealership, but only to hear some crap about the gas cap being on incorrectly. I know this has been an ongoing issue with X's out there; I still have this issue and have even posted here about it. I'll be bringing in my X next week for the 30000 mile maintenance, and will sure as hell have them do this TSB finally.

Last edited by Old Navy; 10-25-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Veteran

Thank you. That's a lifesaver. It keeps happening to both my buddy's and my X. The dealer has fixed mine, but my friend is out in the cold right now. The TSB is what he needs to get Nissan to address this.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Veteran

can you elaborate on the effects of this TSB?
All service and installation courtsey of Krown lakeshore
http://www.krown.com/lakeshore/
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 PM

Justr dropped the X off at the dealership today for the 30000 maintenance. They'll be doing this TSB as well. The vehicle still runs excellent despite the need for this TSB to be addressed. I'll post back and include some pictures of how the dealer made the fix.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles
can you elaborate on the effects of this TSB?
My buddy's X was past warranty and he got the evap cannister code several months ago. The dealer said "too bad." Now he goes in, waves this TSB, they replace the cannister and put this new filter on that's supposed to solve the problem of the clogged valve. My dealer has fixed mine over and over under warranty by simply replacing the entire unit. I'm now using the TSB to get them to do the fix.

It's not a recall, but it's a major argument for our side!

We drive in the desert every other weekend or so, and the valve just keeps getting clogged since it vents at the wheelwell.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:07 PM
2005 S 4x4

I have 45K miles on my rig and the Service Engine Soon (SES) light came on today. I dropped it off at the dealer because I'm heading out on a 3600 mile road trip this Friday. I don't have time between now and then to **** with it myself.

Anyway, I just got the call from the Service Manager saying I have a bad Evap Control Valve. The cost is ~ 450 bones to replace with the new control valve and "filter kit"...ouch!

So has anyone with an Xterra that is out of warranty had any luck getting this fixed at no-charge?

UPDATE: I GOT BONED! DO THIS YOURSELF AS A PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE MOD

I just picked up my X and lightened my wallet by $473 at the same time.

Don't let this happen to you. Fix it yourself...it is easy.

If your Xterra is out of warranty, go spend the ~$60 for the Evaporative Canister Filter Kit and install it yourself. It is an easy 4-step process:
  • 1) Go surf out Nissan TSB # NTB07-058. It spells everything out with color pictures. In fact, it is so good MC could have written it.
    2) Go to Nissan and pick up the Filter Kit (Nissan p/n 14953-ZP70C). It cost me $58.80. If your Service Engine Soon (SES) light is already on and you are getting code P0442, P0455, P0456 or P1446 then also replace the Evap Vent Control Valve (Nissan p/n 14935-AM60A). My cost for the valve was $88.08
    3) Follow the installation instructions. You get to drill a 10mm hole in your frame and everything. If needed, reset your ECM to clear the code.
    4) Enjoy the satisfaction of not getting boned $288 for labor. I should note that this particular dealer will also replace your microfilter for $110!
I don't really off road, just logging & fire roads, and I only get the rig muddy on occasion...there was no reason for this to go bad at 45K miles. I'm going to take it up with Nissan, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to do the right thing.

regards,
Old 12-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyswan
I'm going to take it up with Nissan, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for them to do the right thing.
Dude, do not assume defeat in advance. Nissan should make it up to you and some persistence may well pay off.

My dealer all but said they'd do it for free next time my X throws the code, and my friend's X is going in Thurs for a new cannister and the filter--free. His dealer denied him (out of warranty) and now that they see the TSB, they got the go-ahead from Nissan to do it for free. BTW, it's Nissan of Glendale, CA that's doing my buddy's truck.

DIY, sure, if you have to. But Nissan owes us this one and can be forced to do the right thing.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM

After waiting 10 weeks for the dealership to order the required parts, they finally performed the TSB for the DTC P0455. Replaced the EVAP Vent Control S/V and installed the filter kit.
Free of charge, and I have 32000 miles.
I will post a picture of how it all looks underneath.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Veteran

Great news.

A note of caution for others, however: the dealership in Glendale, CA did this fix on my friend's X, but Nissan wouldn't reimburse them--at least that was their story. But he was a good customer, they'd promised him to do the work, so they honored the promise. Nissan can be some stingy...
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Send a message via AIM to B-Spec

I am having serious issues with this P1446 (vent valve short circuit).. I have replaced all the parts and Im still getting the code.. It just wont go away.. Anyone else have issues with the code coming back???

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > General Xterra