Another battery option - Die Hard Platinum - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Veteran
2014 Brilliant Silver Xterra Pro-4X

Default Another battery option - Die Hard Platinum

I have not seen anything here on the new Sears Die Hard Platinum batteries, so I thought I would post this up. Might be another alternative that could work for people. The battery is an AGM type (like the Exide Orbitals and the Optimas) but does not use the spiral setup. The lead plates are straight, and fill the entire box. They are heavy. They have 2 group sizes: 35 which has the proper terminal orientation, and 34 which has the incorrect orientation but much higher reserve capacity. If there is a 34 with reversed terminals no one at Sears seems to know about it. Maybe in the future.

The 35 seems equivalent to an Optima D35, with 740 CCA and 100 RC (versus the Optima Yellow Top D35 with 650 CCA and 98 RC). The only thing I can't tell is the Amps/Hour rating on the Die Hard. They are not cheap at $180, but the Optimas are up that high now too. The warranty is 4 years full replacement.

I've only had mine a couple of days now, but it seems to work so far. I was a bit reluctant to get something with less RC than the stock battery (which lists 113 mins.) but mine had bad corrosion around the positive terminal, and I could not find an Optima or Exide locally with the correct terminal orientation.
My photo blog: www.frankbaiamonte.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mark

Ive been wondering what to get for my next battery. USMC told me about one, but for the life of me i cant remember which one it was. I knwo ill need one in another few months. I hope this one works out well for ya.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to x67934

This battery was rated #1 on consumer reports

10th Mountain Div. "Climb to Glory"

Truck Platoon Leader
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Veteran

I just cleaned the corrosion off of mine with the old baking soda and water treatment. The plating on the terminal was suffering so I sprayed it down with that purple anti-corrosion battery coat you can buy at the parts store. put a couple of pennies next to the + terminal for good measure.

When the original battery dies, I'll probably buy a $60 wet cell replacement.

Did your oem battery kick the bucket already? seems like I have never been able to get more than 4 years out of any of my first oem batts.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Mine went at like 40K miles and about 2.5 years.

That pales in comparison to the battery in my 97 Dodge Intrepid. I changed out the original OEM battery at 130K miles and around 7 years. I was shocked when it finally died.

www.thexterra.org
Old 02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Veteran

You all know that you are supposed to maintain the water (electrolyte) level in these serviceable nissan batteries, right? I can't imagine only getting 2 years out of mine.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Yep, and I maintained mine regularly. I just think they are trash batteries. There have been enough that have died just months after the vehicle left the lot.

I don't know who makes the batteries, but they are subpar at best. That's not to say though that some people won't get 5 years and 100K miles out of one.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to cornick

I'm coming up on 3 years for my stock one and haven't done a thing to maintain it.
North East Xterra | Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to x67934

I bought one of these last night. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Veteran
2008 JEEP wrangler Unlimited Rubicon off-road

Send a message via MSN to JIMBO

- Yea, mine is going on 3 yrs to Corny, I don't abuseit--

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornick
I'm coming up on 3 years for my stock one and haven't done a thing to maintain it.
--I maintain it and keep a Battery Maintener on it, while the X is down--

--I hava a Costco KIRKLAND series 34 battery in my trailer thats a direct replacement for the Batttery in the X, should it fail, off-road--

--These Batteries are great, good price and 3-year free replacement, warranty, but I've already told you that !!

-- --JIMBO

-- --jimbno

--Man, you gotta have "style"

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical