Did The Shop Install My Helper Springs Correctly? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra X

Default Did The Shop Install My Helper Springs Correctly?

Searched but can't find any pics of them installed. This doesn't seem right, are they supposed to sit on top of these clips or did they do them wrong?

Seems I'm getting a vibration under acceleration that wasn't there before. Also got new rims and tires so I don't know which one it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Titan Swapped 3.69 Edition

When I bought my X, the previous owner had helper springs on and there were mounted to the bottom of the leaf pack. And well thats where they are supposed to be. Being directly under the axle wont help the leaf springs at all. They are to add extra support to the leafs, hence the upward curve and that bend in the middle of the helper spring is supposed to be pushing up on the leafs not the axle tube. I'd demand my money back because they probably raped you. This is why you do **** yourself.

Last edited by Xterra_Mayo; 08-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

The helper springs are meant to be on top. As far as the exact placement of them on top of the leaf pack I do not know, I never ran them. I can tell you for a fact they're meant to be on top.

It looks like those are running underneath the axle? I thought they were actually just installed behind the axle on top of the leaf packs...so just slid back from where yours are located.

My Xterra
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

Nevermind, my laptop wasn't loading the top picture, those are installed correctly.

Actual Add-A-Leafs go underneath the leaf pack and help to arch the leaf packs for more lift, these (while they do provide lift) are not the same set up. These are basically an aid for the stock leaf packs, most people use them to help carry extra weight or in the case of the Xterra to bolster the weak stock leaf packs.

As for your vibrations, I highly doubt this is the case as those helper springs shouldn't be giving enough lift to need this but I guess you might need axle shims. Are you running aftermarket shackles? Maybe the helper springs just bumped you up enough that the pinion angle is enough to be causing the vibrations.

I would lean more towards one of the tires not being balanced properly though. You said you had new rims and tires installed, I'd probably look into that first.

Last edited by Killswitch; 08-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran
2011 Knight Armour Xterra Pro-4X

Don't know what brand your helper springs are but the Hellwig ones are meant to be installed on top of the leafs behind the axle exactly as they appear to be your pics:
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/custo...-instructions/ Choose EZ 550 as an example.

You can also find pics of mine on the first page of build section.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra Titan Swapped 3.69 Edition

Lol, maybe mine were installed wrong? Or is there two types? Either way if these guys say they're right i'd take their word for it. It made sense to me for them being on the bottom. But then again I have no experience with installing them.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S

Mayo, yours could have been a different kind. Those look like the Hellwig ones in the pictures but if they arent then they work the same way. You can see the arch in them but they also have the "hooks" on each end, made to use the little mini "ubolts" that come with them to actually pull up on the leafs instead of to push up like the AALs do. These wouldn't work under the leaf pack, partly because they don't have the correct arch in them but also because you'd have to remove the huge overload leaf on the bottom.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Supporting Member
2006 Xterra S

Helpers almost always go on top, and you can increase the lift/capacity via tightening the ubolt each end of the helper spring.
AAL's go underneath.

I agree with other suggestion that you may now need a pinion shim. The rear ujoint is very temperamental in how little lift causes driveline vibes.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra X

Hi, thanks everyone for the feedback. They are the Hellwig EZ550 ones. I printed the install instructions and gave it to them.

I had planned on doing it myself but I don't have a jack tall enough to fully extend the leafs which is what the directions call for (and using the jack under the seat takes forever). So I figured while they had it on the lift they could bolt it on since it takes < 5min

Anyway, I was just out again driving it and it definitely seems like the vibration is related to the driveline. I have no other suspension mods, it's completely stock other than the helper springs.
I can feel the vibration when letting off the clutch going into second. It's definitely from the rear and maybe it's just my imagination but I think I feel it through the clutch pedal as well.

So researching a bit more I found these pics in the first post
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9431
Is that how they should be??

Overall the ride is definitely improved though. No more bottoming out going over big bumps. I might loosen it slightly, I'll have to see how it feels loaded full of gear.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Veteran

Hellwigs mount easier and work fine if they are placed in front of the axle.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering