Synthetic Oil - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline

Old 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM
2005 Xterra SE

Default Synthetic Oil

I was looking through my owner's manual and noticed that it recommends "mineral based" oil only. Mineral based oil is conventional/petroleum oil only but does any one use synthetic oil? I used royal purple in my last car (Nissan Sentra SE-R) and want to use it in my X but don't know if it'll cause any engine damage. Also any reason why Nissan does not recommend synthetic oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra Off Road

I use Mobil 1 synthetic, and as I'm on warranty, my dealer does the changes.

Mobil has the following warranty statement:
What We Will Do to Correct Problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

Might be a bit of a circular argument
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra S

I run Castrol Edge and I've never had any issues. I ran it in my '09 Frontier also.

They also recommend absurdly long oil change intervals on conventional oil in the manual, but I don't pay any attention to any of it. I run synthetic at 5k mile intervals and call it a day.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Supporting Member
2012 Xterra PRO-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL XTERRA View Post
I run Castrol Edge and I've never had any issues. I ran it in my '09 Frontier also.

They also recommend absurdly long oil change intervals on conventional oil in the manual, but I don't pay any attention to any of it. I run synthetic at 5k mile intervals and call it a day.
Edge is good. I'm gonna start running that here soon. I just wish I could still afford AMSoil like I had in my Titan...

(There should be a :broke: smilie) lol
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra S

A friend of mine who is an oil nerd turned me onto it. It seems like the best bang for the buck out there.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 PM
2005 Xterra SE

Good info to know, I noticed on the Pennzoil website they recommend their ULTRA formula for the X. However I'm still partial to royal purple. Was running Valvoline conventional with STP oil treatment but I've read several articles about oil additives that have changed my mind.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran
2012 Pro-4X M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnuxoll View Post
I was looking through my owner's manual and noticed that it recommends "mineral based" oil only. Mineral based oil is conventional/petroleum oil only but does any one use synthetic oil? I used royal purple in my last car (Nissan Sentra SE-R) and want to use it in my X but don't know if it'll cause any engine damage. Also any reason why Nissan does not recommend synthetic oil?
This is not coded language telling you not to use synthetic motor oil. You will be 100% fine using synthetic. If synthetic motor oil hurt your VQ40, then half the users of this forum would be screwed.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL XTERRA View Post

Send me your used oil, I think I can reuse it.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

I've run mobil1 mostly mobile 1 since the first oil change. After 202k miles of 10k mile oil change intervals, I am happy to report that I am on the original timing chain and she's only down about a half qt at the oil change mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveStick View Post
Send me your used oil, I think I can reuse it.
You probably could put another 5k on it, but i'm not going to ship it to VA.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Powertrain & Driveline