Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Fury's Build Thread

14K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  UnderpayFrontier9555 
#1 · (Edited)
XB3 Xterra (Fury)
Welcome to my build thread. Just started my first, but temporary lines of suspension mods to the Xterra. Bought the rig back in 10' and at the time was the only Off Road manual available in the southeast, so I feel I got a rare breed. I'm a happy previous owner of a 09' Xterra S 4x2. I loved the power, the room, and the value, but it left me wanting more. I found my rig used w/ 9000 miles. I still remember that day. I drove 3 hours out to pick it up from private owner. He opened the garage, and it was like the scene in "Back to the Future" when Marty McFly saw that black, polished up Toyota P/U 4x4 sitting in the garage.

VK56 with 6-speed swap: EXPERIMENT FURY VK56 6-SPEED PROJECT THREAD!

Username: Smitty'sGarage@Z1Off-Road

Make: Nissan
Year: 2010
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road 6MT
Color: Super Black

Mod list (updated 2024):
VKD56DE
Z1 Off-Road VK56DE Catch Can Kit
Z1 Off-Road Ditch Lights and Hood Strut Kit with Morimoto HB lights
Z1 Off-Road Oil Fill Cap
Z1 Off-Road Gas Tank Skid
350Z sport clutch/brake pedal pad
OEM 5-switch Panel
Rigid Fogs
Rear Shock Skids
Oskel Rear Light Cage w/ 3" pods
PRG Polyurethane engine mounts
08-15 Titan Front Brakes and Spindles
Motorsport Tech Rear wheel adapters
17x8.5 0 offset KMC Impact (machined face)
ARP Rear Studs
Tom Woods 1350 Double Cardan Rear DS
M205 Front Diff w/ ARB Air Locker and activation system
Husky Floor Liners
Z1 Motorsports Full Face 350z VQ35DE clutch w/ stainless insulated clutch line
Factory Titan lower control arms w/ Whiteline bushings
Moog problem solver lower ball joints
315/70/17 Cooper STT Pro
Tundra Bilstein 5100 with FJ Trail RH springs
OEM LCA Eccentrics
Removed rear sway/mud flaps
Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Z1 Off-Road Rock Sliders
Volant CAI (VQ40DE)
Dobinsons IMS Rear Shocks
PRG U-bolt flip kit
Motul Fluids
Rear diff breather
Heftyfab steal front bumper
Smittybilt waterproof winch w/ synthetic rope
Factory 55 (AKA the nipple)
Titan aluminum diff cover w/ Rock Road Outfitters skid
Timbren Rear SES Bumpstops
Z1 Off-Road Titan swap extended brake lines

Equipment:
Midland CB w/ Big Five Antennae
Shovel
Axe
Cargo Straps and closed linked 6000lb chains
Tarp
Safety Glasses and Gloves
MiscTool Kit
Jump Box
D-ring Shackles
5W-30 Mobil 1, and 20w-50Valvoline (4 Wheeler)
Bungie cord paper towel dispenser (because *******)
Badlands Off-Road Jack

Photos:

The previous 09' S 4x2 sold:

Other toy/money pit:

When I first bought my current Xterra:

Our first wheeling trip @ Coal Creek- no mods

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Install of PRG lift, consisting of rear AAL, axle shims, front strut spacers, and camber bolts.

Brought to you by:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The process was a little rough being that I live in an apartment complex and you cant make racket after hours. Luckily I had to take lower control arm bolts out and didnt have to remove the upper ball joints. I only stripped one leaf bolt in the process of the AAL. All together, other than the 2.5 weeks it took for the lift to get here, Im happy. One thing Im going to do for my piece of mind, is change out the axle U bolts. I was told I could reuse them, but after the installation barely any thread was showing after torqued down. Ill just keep an eye on them because Im paranoid like that.

The aftermath, not much it will do. I think its quite capable the way it is.
Before:

After

#13 · (Edited)
Took the X to the stealership for the first time ever for a repair. The rack and pinion was leaking on the passenger side. Good thing I bought an extended warranty plan otherwise the rack wouldnt have been covered since my bumper to bumper is expired. They are replacing the whole rack and it only has 45,000 miles.

#18 ·
It's been a tough year with the Xterra being rear ended and a baby being born. I finally purchased some Titan parts. I'm rebuilding used Titan parts and coming out way cheaper than buying new. I got axles and upper and lower control arms for $200. I'm swapping my squirrel cage from the stock axles onto the Titan shafts along with synthetic grease, new boots and fresh paint. The control arms will receive Whiteline bushings and Moog ball joints with zerks. When I gather up the mula for TC upper control arms then I will swap the rebuilt Titan upper a arm to the Armada we have. Still saving up for 2.5 Radlfos. I wish that Bilstein would release thier 6112 but the Bilstein rep in SC said that won't happen until next year. I will sell my TC upper a arms to help fund the Titan swap.

Attachments

#21 ·
Ah dang....first time I've seen your build thread & I see you already snagged "Xena" for your X's name :-\ I was just starting to think of giving that name a try for mine! LOL well....we may either end up sharing X names, or I may go for one in the queue ;)

Congrats on the baby & on getting your TS started! You a brave boy spending those big bucks on the TS when ya got a ton of diapers & doc appts to pay for now ;) LOL

#22 ·
Thanks man. We were prepared and this a budget build in stages. I'm grateful I have a supporting wife.

I almost changed the name and went to a Punisher theme but Xena was pretty kick ass back in the day. Since my Xterra has been involved in 4 collisions that were not my fault I figured a name change was in order.

#23 ·
that's awesome your wife's on board! My wife more/less went along w/ the ride of mods because...well...she dind't really have much choice! But she knew I deserved to do the big stuff I wanted to after years of waiting & waiting to do them. She didn't give me any flack about my mods until the last of them (ya know....."Buying more??! I thought you said you were done??! No more...ok?!"...repeat a couple times more ;) )

whoa....4 collisions as Xena??! aight...that name may be jinxed then! maybe I'll stay away from it & let you keep it! LOL

#25 · (Edited)
A few things I have learned that don't work when Titan swapping:

Stock Titan CV shafts will not interchange with stock Xterra inner squirrel cage. The inner Xterra CV axle has different splines than the Titan while the outer CV splines match. So looks like I have a set of M205 axles for spares when I finally do the gear swap. Now I have to eat the PRG axle costs to get this bitch back onto the road.

Another thing, removing control arm bushings from used arms suck. I was going to experiment with stock upper arms with Tundra coil over but ended up cutting too deep and damaged the arm beyond repair. Pressing bushings in is no big deal. I should have left the stock bushings in because they were tough as hell to remove and could have lasted a long time. All you can do is drill and pray. Either way, I'm still coming out cheaper just have to make a mess doing it.

The lower arms I saved I will install Whiteline poly bushings and Moog problem solver ball joints. The new boot design they sale with a greasable zerk is an improvement over stock and less likely a boot will tear from wear or removal.

Lastly, screw using that inner tie rod removal tool. All you need is a wrench with a pipe extension or clamp to cheater bar and that sucker will come right off. Oh and that red tube that's included with the Moog inner tie rods is loctite. I almost thought it was grease because there's hardly any on the tie rod.

That's it. I go with the usual time frame at which I want a project done and multiply it x2. This is especially true when you have a budget to consider and my CC hates me for it.

#28 ·
Just curious, did you add the red loctite to your inner tie-rods?