Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

How-to: Install Rear Diff Breather Extension - PBR

440K views 840 replies 274 participants last post by  Terra Buena 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pretty simple but thought I'd put it up anyway.

1. Remove right rear tail light assembly (2 bolts, then pry gently as there are two plastic clips)
2. Run rubber/vinyl tubing behind bumper along frame rail and over exhaust heat shield. Ziptie as necessary. Ensure you leave enough slack to accomodate the suspension travel.
Webshots - Full Moon Over Gunsight Peak, Washington
3. Insert 1" aquarium airstone into end of tube http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...t&Nav=215&N=24 4937&sku=257931&familyID=6367& (to keep dust out) available from any pet store.

4. Secure to tail light assembly using existing clips.
5. Remove breather from axel housing.
6. Pry cap from breather or purchase new nipple-type fitting. I didnt want to drive back to AutoZone so I just made the existing fitting work.
7. Fit tubing over breather, secure with small hose clamp.

:cheers:
Thats it, go drive through a big puddle somewhere.....of course theres always the issue of the front diff, tranny and t-case breathers but I didn't get a chance to look at all that yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
the front diff already has a breather tube run up next to the airbox, but it's an open tube so something has to be done to close it or filter it. haven't looked at the tcase or tranny

G
#3 ·
my advice, look at the tcase and tranny before you submerge them, unless you want to rebuild some eXXXpensive stuff.

my buddy just put his jeep in a mud hole behind kmart after getting his swampers installed... got stuck in about 3 ft of water/mud, had to get winched out, etc...

he sucked up a bunch o water in the process, and now hes buying a new tranny. oh, not to mention, he spent the last 2 weeks dumping money and time into the ruined one, to try and revive it.
:blackeye:

G
#4 ·
long story short, i will not be doing any (more) water crossings deeper than my axles, until i get all the breathers done. hopefully before the GW run in a week. i have been lucky so far, no need to press the issue.

Edit: did the rear diff extension. thanks for the idea, used the right rear tail light also.

#5 ·
dynamix said:
long story short, i will not be doing any water crossing deeper than my axles, until i get all the breathers done. hopefully before the GW run in a week. i have been lucky so far, no need to press the issue.
SHEEEEEEET GREG! You have no worry! We seen where you been! All your vents are cloged tight with mud! :cheers: LOL

I never really thought about it. But You don't until it's too late, good post, We all should do this one! Just in Case! Ya never know when the Sheeet is going to be too deep! (Look at Yellow Submarine Video on VAXC)

MC

#7 ·
I gotta get around to looking at mine. I've been buried up to the frame twice in mud so who know's what's going on there. :dontknow:

#9 ·
dynamix said:
my advice, look at the tcase and tranny before you submerge them, unless you want to rebuild some eXXXpensive stuff.

:blackeye:
Aren't the tranni and T/C sealed? Going to under there this weekend and if they need tubing I will add it.

#15 ·
kokopop said:
I will let you know after this weekend. Probably pull out the center console and remove the shifter boot to check everything out.
When RMXC did a couple body lifts a few weeks ago I worked on the shifter boots. At least on the older Xs the screw holding in the very front of the boot was a PITA!

#17 ·
Removing the console itself was alright. Just undoing the boot. There was a screw that was far forward and hard to get a hold of. It had a 10mm hex head though so I used a 10mm ratcheting box wrench which helped, but was still sort of hard to work with.

#21 ·
kokopop said:
Me too. I hope I have time this weekend. The mrs. filled my weekend before I could even say Xterra.
That's why I'm escaping Thursday night. I'll be into Moab by Friday Morning and out in the desert shortly thereafter. No cell sevice even!!!

#22 ·
Alright so I tried looking stuff up on these when I first got the X but it sounded like it's not a big deal and not everyone did it. I know the last time I went out I was in way over the axle in both mud and water. Are you guys just not worried about it enough to do it right away, I mean - it's OK to go in deep a few times without a diff breather extension?

I'm guessing I should do this before I submerge the X again? I don't think I'll be trying stuff deep enough to worry about the T/C or tranny .. least not for a while..

G
#23 ·
i would do the rear diff immediately, its very easy and probably the most vulnerable. you only have to really worry if you get stuck while submerged. but yeah, i wouldn't press my luck either. there are no cheap repairs to look forward to by skipping this mod, yet the mod itself takes only like $5.00 and 10 minutes of your time.

#24 ·
RogueClimber said:
kokopop said:
Me too. I hope I have time this weekend. The mrs. filled my weekend before I could even say Xterra.
That's why I'm escaping Thursday night. I'll be into Moab by Friday Morning and out in the desert shortly thereafter. No cell sevice even!!!
Lucky bastard. Ah I cannot complain because in the end Life if great!

#25 ·
Re: Rear diff breather extension

BioMan said:
Pretty simple but thought I'd put it up anyway.

1. Remove right rear tail light assembly (2 bolts, then pry gently as there are two plastic clips)
2. Run rubber/vinyl tubing behind bumper along frame rail and over exhaust heat shield. Ziptie as necessary. Ensure you leave enough slack to accomodate the suspension travel.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/547694367/2604553180085021644poHVkS#
3. Insert 1" aquarium airstone into end of tube http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.a...t&Nav=215&N=24 4937&sku=257931&familyID=6367& (to keep dust out) available from any pet store.

4. Secure to tail light assembly using existing clips.
5. Remove breather from axel housing.
6. Pry cap from breather or purchase new nipple-type fitting. I didnt want to drive back to AutoZone so I just made the existing fitting work.
7. Fit tubing over breather, secure with small hose clamp.

:cheers:
Thats it, go drive through a big puddle somewhere.....of course theres always the issue of the front diff, tranny and t-case breathers but I didn't get a chance to look at all that yet.
What size hose did you use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.