VDC Off/SLIP Lights are Both 'ON' - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 10-16-2011, 05:20 PM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Default VDC Off/SLIP Lights are Both 'ON'

Hey i need a few ideas. recently my "VDC off" and "SLIP" light both came on, it hasnt turned off since. I tried disconnecting my battery to reset the computer but it didnt fix the problem. the second i put the key in the ignition the lights are on. the truck feels like everything is fine, i drove a couple hundred miles with this on, and did some serious offroading without an issues. my rear diff lock was working, and the downhill descent works.

BTW its a 2011 pro4x with about 11,000 miles. I recent changed my rear diff fluids to amsoil synthetic, drove for a while after that with no issues. A few days after that i extended my rear diff breather, with only a filter at the end of the hose. While doing my test drive thats when the lights came on, and havent turned off since.

what could be going on? is it possible i didnt put enough fluid in the rear, i used only 2 quarts... and some of it spilled while pouring it in, so its actually a little less than 2. i doubt that would be the culprit for the light... idk i need ideas so i dont have to go to nissan. im 100% they wont cover me under warranty anymore being that i have so much done to my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road Titan Swapped

not sure why they would randomly come on but there is a reset procedure to turn them off. a quick search should find it

disconnecting the battery will make them come on so that wont fix it.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 PM
2007 Xterra S

First step is to pull the codes. Most commonly its a steering angle sensor code, but you need to see what it is before you randomly try to fix anything. Autozone can pull codes. If it is a steering angle sensor there's probably a way to reset it w/o a consult, but I don't know it off the top of my head.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
2008 Xterra SE Off-Road

Send a message via Yahoo to centaur545

Mine came on after changing the battery, that is too be expected. The way to fix it was to find a place where you can drive perfectly straight without turning the steering wheel like a parking lot. Turn off the truck start it back up and drive stright until the lights go out. It worked for me ad there is a write up on this site but I know why mine came on. There may be another reason yours came on.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Veteran
2011 Xterra S Plus

Mine were on after the PRG advanced lift, but it changed the angle of the steering sensor. Also steering wheel was about 30 degrees to the left after getting the lift on. After getting an alignment and telling the dealership what was wrong and how to fix it from what I found on this site, it has been off ever since, they re-aligned the sensor.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Veteran
2004 Dakota SLT Quad Cab

Send a message via Yahoo to ZtotheX

Mine have come on a few times, I just turn the truck off, and then on and they go out.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

mine come on fairly often cause of how much lift i have...only come on on sharp turns at speed. they go off when i turn the truck off and back on again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

i have 2 inch body lift plus prg advanced lift, plus extended shackles in rear. my truck drives straight... kind of.. i did my own eyeball alignment, and alot of trial and error to get it right.. but my steering wheel is off center also by about 30 degrees... thats been like that for months though. i think i attached the steering shaft crooked when i put it back on after the body lift.

doing the rear diff breather mod, or changing the fluids in the rear diff wouldnt cause this?

its been on consistent for about 5 days now, and ive drove about 400+ miles.

what involved in re aligning the steering sensor?
Old 10-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off-Road

This happens to me ALL the time. No lift or bigger tires or anything like that. Happens in the rain. Happens when it's dry. Happens when I'm driving straight, as well as comes on during turns from time to time. Happens on the highway and city driving too.

I just ignore it. Always goes away when I turn the X off and back on again.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Noobie
2007 Xterra Off-Road

mine did the same thing last winter. turned out my brake fluid was a little low but not empty. topped it off and has since been fine.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical