Dreaded Code P0430 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM
2005 Xterra S

Default Dreaded Code P0430

Bought my '05 X new in Feb 2006, and from time to time over the last 3-4 years the SES light pops on after a fuel fill, particularly when filling with the engine running. Seems to be a common issue with X's - no big deal as the SES light normally goes off after a day or so.

A few months back, the SES came on after fueling - but this time did not go off. This caused my truck to fail MASS state inspection, and the guy cleared the light. Said drive it 100+ miles and then we can re-test. The light stayed off, until I refueled. WTF.

So, I took the vehicle to several places, all of which ran an OBD II scan, which came back with a P0430 code. According to a poster here, this code means "TW Catalyst SYS-B2"

Here is what each place said:

1. Advanced Auto - the Bank 2 oxygen sensor is bad. $100.44 for part.

2. Monroe Muffler - the Bank 2 Cat is bad. $1,015 installed. Ouch.

3. AutoZone - they gave me a print out that idenitfies 4 possibilities:
a. Large Vacuum leak
b. Fuel system fault
c. Ignition system failure
d. Failed Bank 2 catalytci converter

Now, since I am still in shock on the $1000+ bill for replacing the converter, I decided to just replace the gas cap and drive the truck for a few days to see whether the SES light goes off. I had a 2001 Jetta, which I purchased new, which also had an SES problem. Dealer wanted $600 just to drop the gas tank to see whether the sending unit was bad. New gas cap solved the problem and the light never came on again over more than 200,000 miles.

But, in case I am not lucky this way again, wondering whether anyone has had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

Seems like ignition system failure could relate to spark plugs, which I have not replaced and have 120,000+ miles on the originals. Probably should do that.

Additionally, I am getting about 14 miles to the gallon, instead of the normal 18-21 mpg.

Really hate to replace anything if it does not solve the issue. However, if the cat is bad, and not replaced, couldn't it damage the two cats behind it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

It's most likely the drives side cat. Are you handy enough to do the work yourself or do you know a trusted garage that will install supplied parts?

If so, check out Rockauto.com.

www.thexterra.org
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
2005 Xterra S

Well, it's the "most likely" that concerns me. The Monroe place said only Nissan supplies the parts, which are $750 alone. So that is a lot fo money if the SES light is gonna pop back on after a few days.

Thanks for the link to Rock auto...

Last edited by Bbear94; 09-15-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Rockauto has both primary and secondary cats for a little over $300 for both. Nissan is not the only place you can get the cats, unless you live in CA.

You could play it safe and try the O2 sensor first and then get the cat(s) if that doesn't fix it. Then you are only out $100 (or less) if that's not it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Heres what you do in mass.... Go get a bottle of techtron (sp) fuel cleaner, the stuff you put in the tank, and put it in the tank. Fill her up, clear the code ( there's a how to here to do that). Drive around for about 200 miles to guarrantee OBDii readyness, and then pass your inspection ( the light should still be off). Then work on gettin that thing replaced. Rockauto has them cheap and it cost me about 200 bucks to get it installed. Where are you in mass btw?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off Road

I never heard of restrictions buying auto parts in California. I buy my parts on-line and the only thing I've bought from the dealer for either of my two Nissans was a locking lug key. California doesn't do inspections. They do test the pollution after 5 years and then every other year after than. Lots of other states do annual inspections, that's just silly!
Shrockworks Sliders/Skids/Diff/Bumpers, fwd: ICON 2.5, aft: AC Shackles/Deaver mini-pack/Bilstien 5125s, V1, Garmin 660, Delorme PN-40, Ultragauge, Yaesu FT-8800, MileMarker SE12 w/fireline, BFG KM2's/17" MB 72, Engel 45, KC's & PIAA's, 194W of LED lights, custom: roof light bar and rack, fuel storage, pin striping, hi-lift, & camera mounts.

Last edited by PaulXyZ; 09-16-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Silly to those who have a clue about cars... However alot of bad things can happen to a vehicle in 5 years. That would scare the crap out of me on those LA freeways not knowing if the car next to me is going to lose a wheel...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra OR 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulXyZ View Post
I never heard of restrictions buying auto parts in California. I buy my parts on-line and the only thing I've bought from the dealer for either of my two Nissans was a locking lug key. California doesn't do inspections. They do test the pollution after 5 years and then every other year after than. Lots of other states do annual inspections, that's just silly!
I believe he's referring to the emissions tests, which are stricter in CA. Some things/setups/parts that would pass in some states, won't in CA.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM
2005 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
Heres what you do in mass.... Go get a bottle of techtron (sp) fuel cleaner, the stuff you put in the tank, and put it in the tank. Fill her up, clear the code ( there's a how to here to do that). Drive around for about 200 miles to guarrantee OBDii readyness, and then pass your inspection ( the light should still be off). Then work on gettin that thing replaced. Rockauto has them cheap and it cost me about 200 bucks to get it installed. Where are you in mass btw?
Posted via Mobile Device
What does the techtron do? I was told by my mechanic not to use fuel additives as they can over time ruin the cat. I did find a garage in Worcester that would do the work at 2 hours x $80 for $160 for labor. Not bad. They are going to order the cat from aftermarket provider.

The aftermarket cats are not good in CA, where I used to live, because they are made from a thinner metal than the Nissan parts, and thus they will not pass emmissions. Some mechanics will tell you that this thinner metal is also the reason aftermarkey cats may not last as long.

I read somewhere on this board that sometimes the aftermarket cats cause problems with the O2 sensors? Anybody know anything bout this??
Old 09-16-2011, 03:46 PM
2005 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by masscomguru View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey masscomguru - how long ago did you replace with rockauto cat? Have you had any SES issues since then??

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical