Alignment issues - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member
2007 Super Black Xterra X 6MT

Default Alignment issues

So im having problems Aligning my X after i lifted it, PRG basic lift kit, Spacers and AAL. I have had it aligned once without camber bolts, then i installed camber bolts and got it aligned again, but camper is still off, bad enough where i can see it when i look straight on, does anyone know what the new alignment specs should be or have some advice? thanks!

Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Dude same problem, I just got an alignment when I got my 285s on Wednesday, and after I went wheeling yesterday it feels in-aligned again, and camber is visible. I think its the spacers create the vibration on the UCA causes it
Old 07-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Supporting Member

ya but they should still be able to be adjusted so there straight lol, the problem is everyone is trying to align it with STOCK specs, now that i have a lift the specs will be different... but i feel your pain
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
2005 Xterra S 4WD

I'm actually in the midst of a battle with Firestone over this.

My X has the Daystar 2" spacers and shackles lift. I paid Firestone for the lifetime alignment and it seems they either never adjusted the cam bolts (my 2005 came with them) or adjusted them to whatever their factory spec manual said (which would no longer be applicable due to the lift).

I've tried taking it to 2 other Firestones for correct alignment, but they turned me away. It appears that their machines can't clamp onto the rim because my tires stick out too much. I'm actually dying to know how this one shop was able to do it in the first place.

Because of the bad camber angle, my front tires have worn on the outside with only 18,000 miles. The manager told me yesterday they would pro-rate the price of new tires for me; so I should get about 50% off the pair. Here's hoping he honors his phone promise when I get there today. AND that they get the camber angle right!.

I'll post up more details as the story unfolds.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra S

Send a message via Yahoo to Suckafish

I go to NTB. They dont have the clamp to reach around the tire either. But the chief mechanic there was smart enough to air the tires down, to pretty much nothing, and then the clamp can smash the tire in and grab the rim. Doing it this way works, but also have to watch, kuz if the tpms is at bottom at the time, it will damage them.

Hope that helps a little.

My X
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Supporting Member

whats NTB? thanks for the info
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran
2008 Super Black Xterra OR

Sears pulled the same crap with me...but i got the tires from them so if they wear unevenly then they get to replace them
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

if they know what they are doing...they should be easily able to get it in alignment withing factory spec with that setup...esp with the camber bolts installed....if you get PRG UCA's with heim joints...it will allow them to get it in alignment much easier....but that is a very $$$ solution.....

Project K.H.A.O.S.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

greg emailed me back and this is what he said

"the alignment wont necessarily be back to factory specs. the caster will be a bit less, but the camber and tow should fall right into factory numbers. The numbers vary depending on who you talk to, but generally the tow should be set at 1/16" toe-in and camber between +.8degree to -.9. Set the caster to where both sides are the same, you will typically loose 1 degree, but this is not noticeable at all."
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
2005 Xterra S 4WD

I spent nearly 3 hours at Firestone yesterday. They prorated the unevenly worn tires so I got them both for $290. I guess that's okay.

As far as the alignment goes, the manager explained that since my last visit, they had changed their machines. They now seem to have the same machine that the other Firestones said wouldn't fit on my wheels.

It took them quite a while to figure out how to mount the machines to the rims. They had to mount them on the inside of the lip (like from the center of the rim pushing out); using some cardboard to keep from scratching the rim. Then they spend another hour and a half trying to align it.

In the end the manager (who was doing most of the work) said that the camber is way better than before, but its definitely not perfect. They couldn't turn the cam bolt far enough. He recommended that I keep a close eye on the tire wear and take it to 4x4 specialty shop if I start to see it start to wear unevenly.

Visually, the camber is much better, though I can still see some camber on one wheel more than the other. But now I think I see a tiny bit of toe on the better cambered wheel. So I think I'll be calling a 4x4 shop...armed with this new advice from Greg (thanks for posting that).

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Suspension & Steering