Review: Engo E10-12,000 Winch (Includes Vids, Pics, Reviews and How-to's) - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews

Old 06-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran
2010 DUAL ARB TITAN X

Default Review: Engo E10-12,000 Winch (Includes Vids, Pics, Reviews and How-to's)

Ok, beginning to post my experience with the Engo E10000 Winch. the Winch retails for roughly $349 plus shipping and recently faired quite well in a 4wd Magazine Winch Comparison Test, earning Best Value.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...out/index.html

I received the winch in approximately 3 days from the day I placed the order online here:
http://www.engousa.com/products/prod...0.0.0.0?pp=12&

So far I have tested the winch by installing, running the motor and replacing the included 93' wire rope with a 92' Promark Blue Synthetic line. (next to the x on a chair as I do not have Winch bumper quite yet.) Plan to run a Warn Hawse Fairlead.
http://www.promarkoffroad.com/blue-s...etic-rope.html
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...5143&t_pl=4543

Runs great, easy to use remote with a 12' cable. the Winch is not too loud and with synthetic line weighs in under 60lbs.. Pulling slack line with clutch disengaged very fast..

Winch now with Synthetic line installed back in original box

Original Wire Line and Roller Fairlead

Remote and accessories

Warn Hawse Fairlead

I plan to update this thread as the Winch is pushed into use.. So far so good..

Last edited by Arch'sX; 01-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran
2005 Money Pit Edition

Nice write up Marc.

Are you Heftied yet?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran
2010 DUAL ARB TITAN X

Thanks John, plan to put this one through its paces.. naw, no Hefty winch bumper yet ...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road

What research did you do into how synth line needs to be differently wound on the drum than wire ... if at all? I noticed you've got it wrapped essentially the same; but I've heard some say that it should be more criss-crossed to keep the strands from pulling between the wraps under load.

This is a great write up, and I'll be curious to hear how it performs for you ... I read the same article and was pleased to see some budget winches doing reasonably well in their tests. Combine the price point with a sub-60lb weight using synth line, and my interest is certainly piqued.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran
2010 DUAL ARB TITAN X

Hmm.. Nice catch jon. As a matter of fact, no research on differences wrapping synth line. I rolled that line on pretty evenly, more evenly than the wire actually esp near the drum. Even the wire was more criss crossed down close.. That needs some looking into and almost certain re-wrapping, and there is no way the final screw holding the line would hold any weight at all. Mighta saved a disaster there!

I am hopeful for this winch to work out. This type of tool is something that is used when you are eff'd however. The fail on it could be critical, and exists for me mostly because I do wheel solo with my daughter and wife sometimes. I would have usually gone with proven quality only on a winch.. Soo, I do plan to test a bit more than average. We'll see.
Thanks again for the note on wrapping synthetic line!. .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra S RubiX

Send a message via AIM to Creek

Jonathan is right - unspool it down to the last wrap and then just randomly spool the line back onto the drum. Speaking from experience, it sucks dealing with syn line that has been pulled down between wraps toward the drum - especially when you're in a bind on the trail and need to winch.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road Titan Swapped

when i installed my shrock and recon winch with the synthetic line i rewound the line by pulling my truck up my driveway. the manual didnt say anything about being criss-crossed but ill re do it. better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran
2010 DUAL ARB TITAN X

Ok, cool. Thanks Creek, that's a redo for sure, will follow that pattern .. I get it more now in that the tight and thinner line could wedge down btwn the wraps.. Was thinking only about the end security.
.. also noticed there is no red color on the line (as there is for the included wire) warning winch line is out as far as it should be, will add a color warning. Maybe that is unique to each drum diameter or whatever..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road Titan Swapped

i think my winch manual says no less than 5 wraps around the drum.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Veteran
2010 DUAL ARB TITAN X

yep, I've heard no less than 5.. might add a shade more safety margin perhaps - without sacrificing max pull strength..

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Product Reviews