VDC off light reset - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

Go Back   Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical

Old 07-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to cookX
Default VDC off light reset

So i just installed some Fog lights on my X.

While i was doing the wiring i had the negative wire unplugged from the battery just to be safe. When i re attached it, the VDC off light is on and wont turn off when i keep pressing the VDC button.

I didnt touch any other wires under the hood or behind the dash so i dont know how it could have been something i messed up.

do you have to reset the light after you have the battery disconnected for a while? if so, how?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S

Send a message via AIM to willgr1

soon as you start driving it it should turn off itself, always happens
Old 07-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to cookX

awesome thanks

yeah i only had it on for like 30 seconds to move it, ill see if it turns off tomorrow on the way to work
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
2005 Xterra no effing clue

Send a message via Yahoo to 1_BAMF_X

Wow...I was JUST getting ready to ask this very same question. I didn't install any fog lights, so I don't know why my light came on. I did unplug something when I was installing my K&N air filter, but I replugged it. So, I will see if it goes off when I drive it around. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road Titan Swapped

my VDC off/ Slip light came on after i took the neg battery terminal off like it said it would in the manual. i tried to reset it like the manual says:

start the engine and set the steering wheel in the straight forward position.

drive the vehicle at speeds above 10mph for at least 10 min.

the VDC off indicator light should go off indicating the traction control system is operational.

i tried this twice with no change. the first time was 13 minutes. the second was about 18-20 minutes. anybody know any other way to get the lights to go out? maybe on the highway? also i have less than 500 miles on my X.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra S

it should turn off after driving for a little bit. you might try pushing the switch after you have been driving around for a while also. I have had this happen twice from pulling the neg. battery cable. It just needs to reset.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Noobie

08XOR,
My VDC off light stayed lit for about 1000 miles, (three weeks) after I disconected the battery to add Fog lights and a K&N air system. I thought I was going to have to take it to the dealership.... I had tried every suggestion I read... I drove it for about 15 miles and was sitting in a parking lot talking on the phone and reached over, pushed the VDC off switch a couple times and the light went off. I was so suprised I pulled out and drove around just to make sure it wouldn't come on again. No issues since; and it works great.
Good luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off Road

Ah the VDC and slip light issue. I've read about this serveral times here and at other Xterra sites. I've had it happen about ten times in the last 14 months. As far as I can tell the lights are false indications and the VDC isn't on ... and the wheels are not slipping. I have the thing stay on for two or three hours on the way to a run but other times just for the 20 minute ride to work. The lights come one whenever they want to - but only when I start the truck up. Sitting in the garage it's not getting wet. Driving around SoCal it's not getting cold.
Shrockworks Sliders/Skids/Diff/Bumpers, fwd: ICON 2.5, aft: AC Shackles/Deaver mini-pack/Bilstien 5125s, V1, Garmin 660, Delorme PN-40, Ultragauge, Yaesu FT-8800, MileMarker SE12 w/fireline, BFG KM2's/17" MB 72, Engel 45, KC's & PIAA's, 194W of LED lights, custom: roof light bar and rack, fuel storage, pin striping, hi-lift, & camera mounts.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Veteran

Paul, if the lights keep coming on periodically, take it to the dealer and tell them to check out your steering angle sensor. I was able to take it in while the lights were on and when they plugged their scan tool in, it came up with that error. I had mine replaced and so far 5K miles with no ill effects. Everything now works the way it should...knocks on wood.

You guys should have this taken care of. I almost ran into a wall one time cause the roads were slick and the VDC/Slip lights were on. The computer thought i turned the VDC off and i literally drifted towards a wall. I was able to control the truck but it scared the **** out of me.
285/75 Wrangler MTR Kevlars, Shrockworks Front and rear bumper, sliders, MB 72's flat black, Xoskel light cage W/ 4 Hella 500, PRG UCA'S, Radflo 3", Custom Alcan rear pack, Rear Radflo w remote res shocks, PRG shackles, Hilift extreme, Panasonic drop down TV,
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 AM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Off Road Titan Swapped

thanks for the replies. ill wait a while before i take it to the dealer. i think tomorrow im gonna take it for a little road trip and see what happens.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Electrical